strummerville

ybelgrave1

If you think that Joe Strummer would be still be spending his evenings down in the SE corner, after queueing politely for forty-five minutes along with half the festival, I don't know what to say.

He'd be creating something new, somewhere else, and I think that makes the new location perfect.

He didn't create Strummerville. He had a camp fire every year with friends and anyone could sit there and join in. When he died the stone was placed where the campfire was held. The Strummerville charity was set up after his death by his friends/family.

All I'm saying is that it is a shame that it had to move away from the stone and the Strummer stone is now not accessible to the general public.

Before Strummerville even came on to the festival the Strummer stone area used to be a brilliant place to sit and chat around a campfire with other random people. You don't have to get to the stone via the SE corner, you can reach it through the craft field so a small area could easily be opened up so people could get there.

Went there on Thursday early evening and saw the guy playing in his pants and then again to see Frank Turner. I enjoyed the feel of the place in the trees.

However when I had a little ten minute sit down outside Strummerville to enjoy the view on Thursday I was definitely struck by a slightly weird juxtaposition with the entrance from Worthy View and the difference between the types of people coming out of Strummerville and those entering the festival from WV

The Guy you saw was Rob Galloway (of The yalla Yallas). the pants had been thrown at him from the "crowd" so he stripped off and put them on :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAufGaS9KAM

Before Strummerville even came on to the festival the Strummer stone area used to be a brilliant place to sit and chat around a campfire with other random people. You don't have to get to the stone via the SE corner, you can reach it through the craft field so a small area could easily be opened up so people could get there.

And that stopped after it was stuck behind the queueing system in the rest of the SE corner. His campfire would have moved right there and then. I get what you're saying because I had the same reaction, but about five years ago. They can move the stone, it's the spirit of the thing that matters.

I popped up there on Friday night for Craig Charles' DJ set. The mud up there was an absolute nightmare - some of the worst I've ever seen at Glastonbury (and I was there in 2007!).

went up there for that - we sat right at the top of the hill.  Not as good as previously IMO

went up there for that - we sat right at the top of the hill.  Not as good as previously IMO

The sound was too low for his set - I expect that was more due to licensing issues than any problems with the equipment or anything.

To be honest, it doesn't feel like an area for loud DJ sets anyway. It's more of a friendly place for a bit of acoustic music and a chat with some randoms.

Edited by johnmcga