strummerville

ybelgrave1

I was just wondering what everyone else made of strummerville's new home between stone circle and the park? I went on the friday night for a bit but wasn't too impressed as the atmosphere paled in comparison to other years... did I go at the wrong time?

Only experience for me was the Friday evening Frank Turner set.....brilliant

but, it's all on a slope and was pretty slippy with the rain on Friday, can't see it working as a venue in real wet conditions, you'd end up doing the luge onto the stage from the sofa's only slightly warming yourself on the way through the fire

I had a wander up on Saturday afternoon before Father John Misty. Seemed like a pretty cool little area - especially the little path through the trees.

Never ventured quite that far up the site before, and had never seen Strummerville - so was all new to me.

had a wander up there on the Thursday, rather nice space,area, thought it worked well in amongst the trees...I never really stayed for any of the music that was on, but people seemd to be into it.

kept on walking and ended up in above the tipi fields part, just had a sit down and had good look at the festival...rather nice time spent.

I popped up there on Friday night for Craig Charles' DJ set. The mud up there was an absolute nightmare - some of the worst I've ever seen at Glastonbury (and I was there in 2007!).

Exactly the same! Was an absolute disaster with the mud, so slippery. Saw loads of people go on their arse, how I didn't wearing just trainers is a mystery to me 

I thought it was great. The mud was an issue but it's only it's first year in that spot. Thought the atmosphere was much more chilled than the last few years. Plenty of room for improvement but lots of potential in that new space.

I loved it. It was a bit of an effort to get there, but that meant that when you finally did, it was the perfect place to rest. Nestling between the tress, secluded as it was was conducive to a very laid back experience. Met some lovely people up there this year and the vibe was so much better than in previous years, particularly in the traditional location in 2013, where we met a few quite unsavoury chaps. 

I think the mud was made worse as right in the middle of Friday's heaviest rain Frank Turner was playing a solo set up there to a big crowd, so the place got really churned up. I had to help several people up off their arses right in front of me.

Went there on Thursday early evening and saw the guy playing in his pants and then again to see Frank Turner. I enjoyed the feel of the place in the trees.

However when I had a little ten minute sit down outside Strummerville to enjoy the view on Thursday I was definitely struck by a slightly weird juxtaposition with the entrance from Worthy View and the difference between the types of people coming out of Strummerville and those entering the festival from WV

I liked it's new spot - the views were incredible at night and the space they'd created lovely and intimate.

When we went on sunday they'd got in there with the woodchip and it was fine, but with that slope some levelling and work needs doing or it's not going to be any use in the wet. It's a large area too - several campfires woul dbe better I reckon - but I think it'll work really well

The area out of the woods was a great spot to chill

I thought the new location was great - much more appealing and fitting than SE Corner. The slope was an issue with the mud, but hopefully that can be sorted in the next couple of years. They have created a wonderful space, some really good food available too.

Lovely area to chill out in, wonderful people sat by the campfire and excellent place to watch bands. Hopefully spend more time there next year provided I get a ticket!

It's not the same now it's moved away from its spiritual home near the Strummer stone. Also because of that the stone is now only (officially) accessible to unfairground workers.

If you think that Joe Strummer would be still be spending his evenings down in the SE corner, after queueing politely for forty-five minutes along with half the festival, I don't know what to say.

He'd be creating something new, somewhere else, and I think that makes the new location perfect.

Had some great Mac & Cheese up there at about 3am on Friday night/Sat morning. Popped in 4/5 times as was staying at WV, not much happening every time, but can imagine it would be great for some live sets like the Frank Turner one. Really cool little space with little slopes, hollows, walkways and some nice food & drink.