Glastonbury Toe

BA4 4BY

I wore Dunlop wellies from Friday through to going home early Monday morning and did not have any numb toes or itchy feet. Worst I get was a little bit of a rash on my right foot. Maybe I got lucky!?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

my feet have taken quite a beating, as is inevitable with that much walking + mud underfoot, but not nearly as bad as last year, when they were absolutely fucked and in agony for days later. bringing the walking boots was a good choice. meant i couldn't freely splash around in the mud as much as those with wellies, but the aftermath was worth it

My right foot is perfectly fine. 

My left is a mess - two big blisters on the heel, and a toenail looking at risk of exit. 

Why so different, no idea, but the cause was definitely the mud and having to drag my foot out thousands of times every day. 

And my left calf is in bits too, where I was trying to look after the heel. 

Another couple if days and I think the whole leg would have needed to come off. 

Edited by Titters
Exciting detail.

This is a first for me! I've never heard of this at all!  I've had numb feet from wearing wellies that are too narrow before, which k imagine is similar. 

Thankfully I wore my proper walking footwear so my feet are fab, apart from the ridiculous number of blisters around my legs from attempting to wear stupid wellies all day on the Wednesday. Never again, one of the blisters burst and is now infected. It hurt like a bitch to get cleaned out today!

The top of my right big toe is a little numb but nowhere near as much as in previous years, which I'm really surprised about, considering. I looked at my post on this thread from last year and it turned out I only wore wellies for two days in 2015 - that's the dream!

I think my Hunters did me proud this year. I've had them for a while now and they've never let me down. Comfy, they fit well and my feet are pretty-much fine as a result. As much as you risk looking like a Kate Moss wannabe, they're definitely worth the money.

4 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I wore wellies with gel insoles for the whole festival and came away unscathed. Seems like I have the only pair of wellies in the world that don't destroy your feet.

No I was fine in wellies all weekend too 

I was wearing bog-standard-dunlop wellies throughout, and probably walking further and faster than the average, as I was working and trying to cram in as much festival as possible.  Feet are absolutely fine.  I've always been a bit frustrated by the wellies v. boots/gaiters thing on here as the prophecies of doom just don't chime with my experience.  However, this year a load of my colleagues suffered badly with their feet.  So I guess it's down to the individual - I've got big feet which must spread the load, and I walk a lot anyway, so I'm less susceptible.  (I also wear massive socks, changed for clean/dry ones each day - which is a no-brainer with wellies.)  I did buy a set of walking boots and gaiters this year, just because I found some heavily-discounted high-end ones, but they stayed in my tent as I couldn't be bothered with dealing with muddy laces or gaiters every time I wanted to get in or out of my tent.

Weird!

17 Glastonbury festivals (and a fair few others) since first in 86, quite a few with just walking boots recently and for the first time EVER my left little toe is numb and a bit black under the nail.

I'm just glad I noticed it before reading this thread or I'd be accusing myself of imagining it. :)

14 hours ago, Titters said:

My right foot is perfectly fine. 

My left is a mess - two big blisters on the heel, and a toenail looking at risk of exit. 

Why so different, no idea, but the cause was definitely the mud and having to drag my foot out thousands of times every day. 

And my left calf is in bits too, where I was trying to look after the heel. 

Another couple if days and I think the whole leg would have needed to come off. 

Well, as a counter example, my feet are much better this year than 2014 (my last) when the wet ground dried out and went shiny + hard.  And again, I put it down to the mud, but for the opposite reason to you. The squashy floor was far better than a hard one for me. No blisters and I reckon my feet will be totally back to normal in a couple of weeks rather than several months like last time. They're already feeling a lot better than yesterday.

I've been a bit of a lurker here, but had to respond to this.

It's all in the type of wellies you use! Being a farming/outdoors type with dodgy feet, I can walk for miles & miles in mud & comfort with mine. Get good ones with neoprene linings such as Gumleaf. Warm in winter and don't get sweaty when it's hot. They have good heel & arch support too. They aren't cheap but worth their weight in gold. We haven't worn Hunters for about 10 years now, as they don't cut it for serious outdoor mileage. 

While sitting down at the festival, I tried to spot 'decent welly wearers'. Must have been one in a hundred people wearing them. You could do your feet some damage wearing cheap wellies for any length of time. I feel this is a secret needing to be shared, reading this thread! 

My feet are a mess after this year, Hunter wellies aren't all that! 

Rubbed all the skin off one of my heels, even dressing and double socks didn't stop it. Also got two numb toes on the same foot and a sore calf and hip from trying to protect it all weekend.

will be looking at walking boots if I am lucky enough to get tickets next year!

Ditto, my feet are destroyed, and I'm not normally prone to blisters. I got a bad case of 'the toe', moving from left to right. The fact that I bashed my foot up badly surfing at the start of June didn't help.

I wore wellies from when I got out car on Wed to getting back in on Sunday evening. l'd bought a new pair which were the next step up from Dunlop's but only £30 territory.

Hunters seem to be the Glastonbury uniform, them and Dunlops seemed to cover 95% of the punters. I was wondering if they were worth the vastly inflated cost!

No problems to report, wore boggo Dunlops from getting out of the car to getting back in (I had a pair of walking shoes for if the weather Gods had relented). I wear them most days for walking the dog and have no problems at all doing the miles at G. The only problem I had was an aching lower back from not being able to sit down very often.