Working With Oxfam

The Placid Casual

Shifts are pretty much the same across the majority of festivals oxfam stewards at ie  morning/afternoon/ night shift with usually a 24 hour break in between each.

Going from experience from last few years we camp at the far right of the site (similar to Glasto) and is approximately a 30 min walk - bit hilly through campsites tho - also alcohol is not allowed through into the arenas.

Otherwise a great mini-version of Glasto

Feel free to join the Oxfam Festivals Team group on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/oxfamfestivalsteam/

Lovely island which on a clear day you can see the Portsmouth Tower (white sail design)

Lots more info on FAQs page http://www.oxfam.org.uk/stewarding/faqs

and each festival you can click on (list on left hand side) with a brief bit of info on roles, how to get there etc 

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/stewarding/festivals

Will be at Bestival again as it the final one of the season - one last party!

Can I still apply for this with Oxfam?

I'm pretty sure you can as I applied later than this last year

I've worked with oxfam at Glastonbury a couple of times but I was wondering what the experience is like working with Oxfam at Bestival. What are the duties handed out to you and are the hours split all over the festival like at Glastonbury?

Thanks in advance.

Pretty much the same as Glastonbury, 3 x 8 hour shifts but the usual shift times are 2 hours different. I forget what times they are but one festival is 6am-2pm, 2pm-10pm, 10pm-6am and the other is 8am-4pm, 4pm-12am, 12am-8am. So whichever one Glastonbury was the shift times at Bestival are the other ones...

That said my shift times last year were a bit random, I had 2 12pm-8pms and an 8pm-4am on Thursday/Friday/Sunday. I spent my time stewarding the reggae stage which was empty for the vast majority of the day so literally didn't do anything except stand around and tell people were the cash machines were. The late shift had lots of drum n bass/dancehall on so I spent most of that helping carry people out the crowd who had ketleg.

I haven't worked Glastonbury but I'm pretty confident the oxfam field in Bestival is closer to the arena than the one at Glastonbury, however the oxfam field is the furthest possible field from the arena so it seems quite a trek but it's really not that bad in comparison 

It's great fun and I'm temped to do it again this year unless I find someone willing to buy a ticket with me