Worthy View Review

Jamieyorkshire

Could've turned up Friday evening and had loads of (quiet,clean area, clean toilets, showers, litter and thieving free) free camping space near us. Again you miss the point, what did you pay for in WV (or any off site camping) that you couldn't get for free elsewhere? What is the reason to pay more when there is nothing off site not available on site? That's my point.

There's a certain psychology at play I think, especially for first-timers who aren't sure about camping. I mean, the amount of people I speak to that say "I watch it on TV and would love to go but couldn't deal with the toilets and lack of showers" is tremendous. Reality is when they get their, they'll mostly find they can deal anyway, but WV offers a sort of safety blanket - a bit of a cushion before you jump entirely in.

It seems to me, while a lot of people talk about Glastonbury being inclusive and for everybody, they're actually quite keen to exclude certain types of people, which to me really misses the point.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me, while a lot of people talk about Glastonbury being inclusive and for everybody, they're actually quite keen to exclude certain types of people, which to me really misses the point.

That may be true to an extent but are those in the likes of WV not to some extent excluding themselves by separating themselves from the great unwashed inside the fence? 

That may be true to an extent but are those in the likes of WV not to some extent excluding themselves by separating themselves from the great unwashed inside the fence? 

Are they really? I can't say where someone sleeps of the night really bothers me, they're still part of the festival. And 1000s use the in-fence showers every year anyway. Are they missing out on an element of the festival? Sure. But if it's an element they don't enjoy...

I know people who bring camping stoves and tonnes of food with them, when for me trying the different, brilliant food stalls every year is a huge part of the festival experience. Others will have different preferences and there's nothing wrong with that.

It may not bother you personally but the reality is its a piece of information that some people will use to pre judge people, rightly or wrongly (mostly wrongly I find). Thats human nature. A lot of people judge others based on very little at all...........Taste in music, type of wellies one wears, accent, apparent wealth etc etc...............the reason for this is people work off stereotypes in their mind a lot and stereotypes are based on some form of reality, but they lead people to tar folk with brushes that may not apply to them at all

An Us Vs Them attitude comes naturally to loads of people I find...............or maybe Im just an old cynic

There's a certain psychology at play I think, especially for first-timers who aren't sure about camping. I mean, the amount of people I speak to that say "I watch it on TV and would love to go but couldn't deal with the toilets and lack of showers" is tremendous. Reality is when they get their, they'll mostly find they can deal anyway, but WV offers a sort of safety blanket - a bit of a cushion before you jump entirely in.

This is exactly why we stayed in WV - first timers looking for a bit of a comfort zone before leaping in for future years. It can be quite daunting turning up and not knowing where to stay that's the safest, spaciest etc, so this gave us the chance not to worry, not to have buy a load of camping equipment, and to get to know the site for the future.

There are lots and lots of people I'd like to see excluded from the festival. You must be crackers if you think everyone should be made welcome.

Do you really want to share the festival with

UKIP supporters

rapists

paedophiles

mike99

murderers

for example?

Edited by russycarps

This is exactly why we stayed in WV - first timers looking for a bit of a comfort zone before leaping in for future years. It can be quite daunting turning up and not knowing where to stay that's the safest, spaciest etc, so this gave us the chance not to worry, not to have buy a load of camping equipment, and to get to know the site for the future.

This is the thing though, you don't have to 'worry' about anything camping in the main site.  Everywhere is 'safe', you can ask the camping staff where the most space is (or just go on Torts guide prior) and the only camping equipment WV provides you with is a tent, which I've never heard anyone struggle to buy.  Convincing first timers that it's best just to fork out the £400+ to stay at WV to ease themselves in to avoid some perceived 'stress' is crackers.

After my own experience, and reading the entirety of this thread, the only true advantage I can think WV has over the main site is that you can park a little closer to your tent, which just isn't a big deal to the vast majority of people who go to GF.  With all the disadvantages I think it is crazy to spend that amount of money on it.

Whoa there - are these people being excluded by the festival, or are they excluding themselves?

Look at the people who wouldn't consider camping inside again after a bad experience in Pennards - is that the festival's doing? There's an absolute buttload of information about camping at Glastonbury out there with guides like Tort's giving a per-field breakdown and as everyone's saying the facilities are there on site. It's just not how people see it so they write it off but that is their call

Think you're all quite right about it offering that perceived cushion though, but perceived is all it is and kinda screws with some fundamentals in the process.

This is the thing though, you don't have to 'worry' about anything camping in the main site.  Everywhere is 'safe', you can ask the camping staff where the most space is (or just go on Torts guide prior) and the only camping equipment WV provides you with is a tent, which I've never heard anyone struggle to buy.  Convincing first timers that it's best just to fork out the £400+ to stay at WV to ease themselves in to avoid some perceived 'stress' is crackers.

After my own experience, and reading the entirety of this thread, the only true advantage I can think WV has over the main site is that you can park a little closer to your tent, which just isn't a big deal to the vast majority of people who go to GF.  With all the disadvantages I think it is crazy to spend that amount of money on it.

You're missing my point. Imagine you're going to Glasto for the first time, you've never been on this or any forum, festivals aren't usually your thing but you want to give it a shot - all you have in your head are those news pictures of people covered in mud, third-hand tales of shit-covered toilets and news reports about tent thefts. How are you supposed to know everything you've said above... which, it turns out, is basically true, but I didn't know that til I was there!

Edited by greenchicken

the main site isnt safe throughout - note the thread about tent thefts.

I wouldn't say a 10 page thread, mostly consisting of people saying they weren't robbed, in a festival which has 80,000+ tents pitched is any indication of the safety of the camping areas in the main site.

Edited by Smitho77

There are lots and lots of people I'd like to see excluded from the festival. You must be crackers if you think everyone should be made welcome.

Do you really want to share the festival with

UKIP supporters

rapists

paedophiles

mike99

murderers

for example?

Not mike99 obviously, let's not be silly. But generally, yes, I would rather share the festival with dickheads in the hope that they can actually comprehend that there's a better way to live, and take that back with them.

The festival is not just full of nice people. But, on the whole, people at the festival tend to be nice. There are many people being lovely at Glastonbury who are awful human beings in their day jobs.

You know that, I know that, but perception and reality are two different things.

Don't talk such complete bollocks.

I've never had any problems at all.

It is scaremongering bullshit like this that is giving rise to these rip off clamping sites.

The thing that gives rise is that it actually happens to some people, even if it doesn't to you.

First time for me, group of 3 tents in WV, no thefts. Other friends in main site, two tents, both got stuff taken from them.

Obviously unlucky and clearly doesn't happen to everyone, but if it's your first time, do you really wonder why that puts people off?

I was camped at one of the 'villages' there this year and it was great. Tbh 2 years of camping in Pennards and it has been fine anyway. This years 'green communial spaces' experiment there went really well and may be rolled out to the other large campsites next year. Got lots of positive feedback from what was done.

Where were these villages? I didn't see them! They sound good! 

For the record, I've been going every year since 2008, always camped in Pennards in a group ranging from 9 to 25 people, always have a camp fire on at least the first night, always make friends with our neighbours, and have been lucky enough not to have had any trouble. 

the main site isnt safe throughout - note the thread about tent thefts.

Never felt urge to post on here before, but this step too far for me. Not safe. Total rubbish and really insulting to the festival. Maybe some years ago you could of said the festival wasn't safe but now it's probably safer than anywhere else in the rest of the country. Took my 18 year old daughter and her friends this year, hardly saw her but knew she was totally safe.

Tent thefts, I take many of these stories with a pinch of salt. I suspect most of these people have just lost their stuff when out of it. My daughter thought she had stuff stolen too, but she had just left it in our tent.

I think one of the reasons people take offence to those camping outside the festival is that there is a real sense of community at Glastonbury, which you just don't find at many other so called festivals, which in my opinion are just concerts in fields with camping. It's a magical place and it takes something away when we aren't all in it together. Especially in the mud bath years. It's not easy sometimes. That's the point. Hauling your stuff in. Suffering a bit even with whatever conditions the weather is throwing at us. We dig deep and find it in ourselves to have a good time anyway, and learn things about ourselves, and if you aren't prepared to do that then you have missed the most important thing about Glastonbury.

Never felt urge to post on here before, but this step too far for me. Not safe. Total rubbish and really insulting to the festival. Maybe some years ago you could of said the festival wasn't safe but now it's probably safer than anywhere else in the rest of the country. Took my 18 year old daughter and her friends this year, hardly saw her but knew she was totally safe.

Tent thefts, I take many of these stories with a pinch of salt. I suspect most of these people have just lost their stuff when out of it. My daughter thought she had stuff stolen too, but she had just left it in our tent.

I think one of the reasons people take offence to those camping outside the festival is that there is a real sense of community at Glastonbury, which you just don't find at many other so called festivals, which in my opinion are just concerts in fields with camping. It's a magical place and it takes something away when we aren't all in it together. Especially in the mud bath years. It's not easy sometimes. That's the point. Hauling your stuff in. Suffering a bit even with whatever conditions the weather is throwing at us. We dig deep and find it in ourselves to have a good time anyway, and learn things about ourselves, and if you aren't prepared to do that then you have missed the most important thing about Glastonbury.

you should perhaps think about posting more often.

Wow. Welcome. :)

Where were these villages? I didn't see them! They sound good!

For the record, I've been going every year since 2008, always camped in Pennards in a group ranging from 9 to 25 people, always have a camp fire on at least the first night, always make friends with our neighbours, and have been lucky enough not to have had any trouble.

There were 7 of them, all linked by paths that we kept open over the Wed and Thur until people were all camped up. These then served as conduits through Pennards making access easier. Each of the 7 'circles' had a different sort of personality and group running them - all had a campfire and communial chilling, cooking and even little makeshift stages in some cases. The concept was an official one and put together by the Green Party (we even received a visit from Natalie Bennett at one point). The idea was that if successful, the concept would be rolled out to similar sized camping fields next year. You can see the communial circles and their interconnecting paths on some of the aerial shots taken this year.

Great first post. Yes, I too feel that Glasto is the place that the phrase 'we're all in it together' should really be applied.