Worthy View Review

Jamieyorkshire

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But doesn't having your own van so you don't have to bunk down with the commoners amount to the same thing? Just playing devil's advocate like. I couldn't afford glamping and neither could I afford a camper van. Doesn't bother me if other people can; I just don't see the difference. Other than the fact lots of senior members of Efestivals have campers.

But doesn't having your own van so you don't have to bunk down with the commoners amount to the same thing? Just playing devil's advocate like. I couldn't afford glamping and neither could I afford a camper van. Doesn't bother me if other people can; I just don't see the difference. Other than the fact lots of senior members of Efestivals have campers.

I know you are playing devils advocate but no, not if its your own campervan. My parents and my sister both have campervans, as soon as a I have enough disposable income I will get one too. My a sister takes hers to France in the summer, my parents take theirs down to the coast every other weekend or so. If you have your own campervan it's not like you just use it for Glastonbury and the rest of the time it sits on the drive, you have one because you enjoy using it, if you're then lucky enough to get a Glastonbury ticket it'd be pretty daft not to then use it.

It would be daft. Why would anyone voluntarily walk up that hill?

I meant, if you'd purchase a ticket for WV but chose to pitch your own tent instead of using a pre-pitched one (much like using your own campervan instead of hiring one), would that be more acceptable to the WV opponents, as it appears that they have no objection to people paying extra to bring their own campervan in but strongly object to campers doing the same at WV. I really can't see the difference and personally could see myself doing either in the future without impacting on peoples' enjoyment of the festival in any way.

I meant, if you'd purchase a ticket for WV but chose to pitch your own tent instead of using a pre-pitched one (much like using your own campervan instead of hiring one), would that be more acceptable to the WV opponents, as it appears that they have no objection to people paying extra to bring their own campervan in but strongly object to campers doing the same at WV. I really can't see the difference and personally could see myself doing either in the future without impacting on peoples' enjoyment of the festival in any way.

Good lord Carol have we not established in a fairly significant way that the sheer physical location or indeed dwelling is not the issue here?

I know it's the thing you reckon you can knock down, but the topic moved on long ago.

Camp where and with what you like - the thing not to bring is prejudices and ideally a little thought into who was getting the money you're handing over is a nice bonus.

The belief in privilege is what offends - not someone needing a bit of extra support or comfort. To some extent the concept that some can't live without hair straighteners when at the festival's core is supporting those who don't even have running water is a hypocritical mess, but that seems a tougher fight

I have no doubt that some, but by no means all, on this forum are genuinely of the view that people (like me) who hire a campervan are in some way making the festival "shitter" (to quote Russycarps the other day). Presumably, it isn't the concept of campervans outside of the fence which irks them per se because apparently ownership of a campervan makes it okay.

Now, I understand the dislike of the Camp Kerala etc type glamping. It doesn't sit well with me either. Frostypaw has summed up quite well in my opinion, I have no problem with camping, I don't need hair straighteners, I can cope with wet wipes etc etc, I don't think I'm better than anybody else but ..... we cannot physically manage to cart all of the equipment from the car park. I know from reading this forum that we aren't alone in that.

Maybe I have misunderstood, Russycarps, but it sounds as though you are saying that if you can't carry your kit and you aren't lucky enough to have your own campervan then basically it's just tough and you can't go. That doesn't sound very inclusive to me.

Still, I have an idea ..... if we all get tickets for next year perhaps somebody could meet us in the car park and carry our stuff to our camping spot of choice? And carry it all back on the Monday. Russy?

Good lord Carol have we not established in a fairly significant way that the sheer physical location or indeed dwelling is not the issue here?

I know it's the thing you reckon you can knock down, but the topic moved on long ago.

Camp where and with what you like - the thing not to bring is prejudices and ideally a little thought into who was getting the money you're handing over is a nice bonus.

The belief in privilege is what offends - not someone needing a bit of extra support or comfort. To some extent the concept that some can't live without hair straighteners when at the festival's core is supporting those who don't even have running water is a hypocritical mess, but that seems a tougher fight

But your prejudices against those in WV (and presumably the Campervan fields) shine through in every post you make in this thread. You just can't stand the thought of people maybe having a better festival experience than you by spending a little extra cash can you? It's probably gnawing away at you now isn't it?

You said in a previous post that you spoke to people wearing gold wristbands who didn't want to know. I'm not surpised to be honest as I bet as soon as you saw their wristbands, your prejudice came to the fore and put them right off. It's people like you who are bad for the festival. Never wanting it to change, always slagging off people who want to experience the festival in a different way.

There were plenty of immaculate looking people on our campsite on Monday morning. I don't know how they did it, but they didn't need WV's facilities to do so. I suppose these people adversely effected your festival as well did they?

Oh, and why are you calling me Carol. Have you completely flipped?

Edited by Ommadawn

It does amount to the same thing. But only once the facilities in the owned campervan pass an arbitrary and blurry point whereby they become too luxurious for our liking.

Basically, if "we" buy a campervan then that's legitimate use.  However, if "they" buy one then they're egotistic knobs who shouldn't even be allowed into Somerset.

But your prejudices against those in WV (and presumably the Campervan fields) shine through in every post you make in this thread. You just can't stand the thought of people maybe having a better festival experience than you by spending a little extra cash can you?

Oh, and why are you calling me Carol. Have you completely flipped?

Because your other profile wwas Carol when you were backing yourself up earlier in this thread

You've clearly been reading my posts after a few drinks and your childish attempt to lump in the campervan people is just pathetic. I've said nothing of the sort. Now go put the Internet down and work out why you're making stuff up, it'll do you a lot of good.

Because your other profile wwas Carol when you were backing yourself up earlier in this thread

You've clearly been reading my posts after a few drinks and your childish attempt to lump in the campervan people is just pathetic. I've said nothing of the sort. Now go put the Internet down and work out why you're making stuff up, it'll do you a lot of good.

oh ok. You've clearly misunderstood my feeble attempt at humour after I made an identical single word reply as Carol made to her own post. This clearly makes us one and the same :wacko:  :lol:

Edited by Ommadawn

Are you aware of Camplight who offer tents set up for you within the main festival right at the top of Pennards next to the Stone Circle and Tipi field?

No hill, no tent to bring and I believe they have a constant communal campfire. Short nip to Greenpeace field for hot showers. Could be a better balance for next year for you

Never heard of that . Will definitely give it a go next year, thanks.

Review of Green initiatives from this year that includes the Pennards community spaces:

http://www.wearesalt.org/glastonbury-the-green-successes-we-never-heard-about/

Frosty - re: who to contact regarding the operation. It was a kind of joint venture between Green Futures and Glasto (Emily), but it was the Green Party that ultimately provided all the 'Young Greens' to set it all up and look after it etc... The main two behind it were Steve Pagett from Green Futures and his partner Fiona Brookes from the Green Party.

• 3 months later...