Worthy View Review

Jamieyorkshire

It was our first ever time at Glasto and we stayed at Worthy View, thought it may be useful to give some feedback on it for those considering it in future. However, apologies in advance for the length of the review, thought I would try and give as much detail as possible for people considering it in future.

We had stayed in Bristol the night before and left Bristol about 08:30 on Wednesday morning, we arrived at Worthy View by 10am and didn't have any issues with traffic at all, which surprised us. We just followed the directions issued by Worthy View.

On arrival the car park was still fairly empty and we were parked about 50m from the entrance. I would say the maximum distance people were parked when the car park was full would be about 300m from the entrance.

There was no queue to get into the site itself where tickets were checked and taken off us, you can't get them back to keep :-(, and we were issued with our wristbands. Once this was done it was just a case of going to coloured check in assigned to you, where we waited a max 5 minutes before we were shown to our bell tent. There were also people on hand with wheelbarrows to help move your kit, but as you are so near the car park its really easy to make more than one trip to your car. We were in one of the furthest bell tents and this was less than 5 mins from the entrance. I would say regardless of where your tent you are no more than 10 minutes from the entrance.

The bell tent we had was fantastic and kept nice and cool in the day and did not leak in the rain. There was space between the next tents so you could sit outside your tent for a drink and most people tended to do this and especially on a morning having a cup of tea.

The space between the scout tents was slightly smaller but still ok, although you probably wouldn't get chairs outside these easily. There is a great aerial shot of Worthy View on the Independant website, but I am not sure how to post pictures.

If you have booked a yurt be careful, as some of the yurts were not yurts but squirts which are about half the height of a yurt, yet this was not shown on the list of available options on the Worthy View website, naughty!

The length of the entire camp was about 1/2 mile from one end to the other. All tents of the same type were grouped together, with the largest amount being the various size scout tents, which did look good.

There were portaloos in various locations which were regularly cleaned and were generally looked after by the previous users. Toilets were stocked with toilet roll and hand sanitiser. Depending on tent location you may have to walk a few minutes to your nearest set of loos. Queues at peak would be max 10 minutes, although additional portaloos did arrive on Sunday, shame it wasn't earlier. There were some trailers with proper flushing toilets in them near the main farm house which were fully lit, so ideal at night, and did have sinks with running water, although queues for these were much longer.

The showers were also located towards the bottom of the site near the flushing toilets. The showers were open from 7am until midnight everyday and were separated into male and female. There is a communal changing room then the showers are In what look like trailers which are communal type but with plastic shower curtains between them. In the male showers there were 2 trailers with about 12 showers in each and the Mrs advised me there were 3 trailers in the female one. Showers were clean and warm and was great to refresh on a morning. Next to the showers there was also a pamper room with straighteners hair dryers etc, but not sure of cost as we didn't use these. Longest we waited for a shower was 10 mins at peak time in the morning. There were also a number of sinks and water points scattered around the site.

On site there was a little shop for essentials, a camping supplies shops and a few food / drink places. At the bottom end of the site, on the way down to the festival there was also a bar, and a number of food / drink outlets. These were busy on a morning and queues would generally be about 20 mins to get breakfast or a posh coffee.

Now the downside, there is a steep hill down towards the festival. This isn't too bad on a morning going down to the festival but at 2am in the morning going back up is a killer! There are concreted steps for half of it and hand rails but it is steep, however the hill is worth it for the facilities at Worthy View.

When getting to ring of steel (near strummer ville) there was also never a queue to get in , where they would just check your wristbands,

One of the things we thought was great at WV was it was generally quiet so you could get some sleep on a night. It was also great that people had respect for the camp and kept it clean and tidy, we rarely saw any rubbish on the floor and on the last day you could see the tents had been emptied and people had cleared up after themselves, which seems the opposite of some of the main camp sites.

With regards to security we had no problems with leaving stuff in our tent, there were a number of security towers around the site and regular security patrols. The site itself also has its own ring of steel and to get in you need to have a wristband which they do check.

We left about noon on Monday and it was easy to get out of the site, although we did get caught in the other festival traffic once on the main roads.

Would absolutely recommend this to anyone, we will be trying to stay here next year, if we get tickets. Would be happy to stay in any of the tents on the site as the convenience plus luxury of showers is well worth it.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Edited by Jamieyorkshire

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Our first ever time at Glasto"

"Dare I say it but I think WV attracts a different demographic to a field such as Pennards"

I'm wondering as a person who's going for their first time how you were able to judge the demographics of the people in the regular camping? I did notice some differences - WV has litter pickers, regular camping does not etc

"Our first ever time at Glasto""Dare I say it but I think WV attracts a different demographic to a field such as Pennards"I'm wondering as a person who's going for their first time how you were able to judge the demographics of the people in the regular camping? I did notice some differences - WV has litter pickers, regular camping does not etc

I think we found people tended to slightly older in WV and there wasn't loads of partying going on. We are in our 30s. When walking through the main site there seemed more atmosphere with a lot of gathering around tents and stuff which there wasn't in WV. Would also say the ages looked quite a bit younger.

We are in our 30s. When walking through the main site there seemed more atmosphere with a lot of gathering around tents and stuff which there wasn't in WV. Would also say the ages looked quite a bit younger.

Certainly is. I'm 38, the rest of our campsite 37, 35, 35, 34 and I actually dunno the other two but I'm damn sure in their 30's - new friends made at other festivals after camping by each other and enjoying the sociable atmosphere.

Just saying some of your comparisons might be awry as someone who's done main camping.

It was our first ever time at Glasto and we stayed at Worthy View, thought it may be useful to give some feedback on it for those considering it in future. However, apologies in advance for the length of the review, thought I would try and give as much detail as possible for people considering it in future.

We had stayed in Bristol the night before and left Bristol about 08:30 on Wednesday morning, we arrived at Worthy View by 10am and didn't have any issues with traffic at all, which surprised us. We just followed the directions issued by Worthy View.

On arrival the car park was still fairly empty and we were parked about 50m from the entrance. I would say the maximum distance people were parked when the car park was full would be about 300m from the entrance.

There was no queue to get into the site itself where tickets were checked and taken off us, you can't get them back to keep :-(, and we were issued with our wristbands. Once this was done it was just a case of going to coloured check in assigned to you, where we waited a max 5 minutes before we were shown to our bell tent. There were also people on hand with wheelbarrows to help move your kit, but as you are so near the car park its really easy to make more than one trip to your car. We were in one of the furthest bell tents and this was less than 5 mins from the entrance. I would say regardless of where your tent you are no more than 10 minutes from the entrance.

The bell tent we had was fantastic and kept nice and cool in the day and did not leak in the rain. There was space between the next tents so you could sit outside your tent for a drink and most people tended to do this and especially on a morning having a cup of tea.

The space between the scout tents was slightly smaller but still ok, although you probably wouldn't get chairs outside these easily. There is a great aerial shot of Worthy View on the Independant website, but I am not sure how to post pictures.

If you have booked a yurt be careful, as some of the yurts were not yurts but squirts which are about half the height of a yurt, yet this was not shown on the list of available options on the Worthy View website, naughty!

The length of the entire camp was about 1/2 mile from one end to the other. All tents of the same type were grouped together, with the largest amount being the various size scout tents, which did look good.

There were portaloos in various locations which were regularly cleaned and were generally looked after by the previous users. Toilets were stocked with toilet roll and hand sanitiser. Depending on tent location you may have to walk a few minutes to your nearest set of loos. Queues at peak would be max 10 minutes, although additional portaloos did arrive on Sunday, shame it wasn't earlier. There were some trailers with proper flushing toilets in them near the main farm house which were fully lit, so ideal at night, and did have sinks with running water, although queues for these were much longer.

The showers were also located towards the bottom of the site near the flushing toilets. The showers were open from 7am until midnight everyday and were separated into male and female. There is a communal changing room then the showers are In what look like trailers which are communal type but with plastic shower curtains between them. In the male showers there were 2 trailers with about 12 showers in each and the Mrs advised me there were 3 trailers in the female one. Showers were clean and warm and was great to refresh on a morning. Next to the showers there was also a pamper room with straighteners hair dryers etc, but not sure of cost as we didn't use these. Longest we waited for a shower was 10 mins at peak time in the morning. There were also a number of sinks and water points scattered around the site.

On site there was a little shop for essentials, a camping supplies shops and a few food / drink places. At the bottom end of the site, on the way down to the festival there was also a bar, and a number of food / drink outlets. These were busy on a morning and queues would generally be about 20 mins to get breakfast or a posh coffee.

Now the downside, there is a steep hill down towards the festival. This isn't too bad on a morning going down to the festival but at 2am in the morning going back up is a killer! There are concreted steps for half of it and hand rails but it is steep, however the hill is worth it for the facilities at Worthy View.

When getting to ring of steel (near strummer ville) there was also never a queue to get in , where they would just check your wristbands,

One of the things we thought was great at WV was it was generally quiet so you could get some sleep on a night. It was also great that people had respect for the camp and kept it clean and tidy, we rarely saw any rubbish on the floor and on the last day you could see the tents had been emptied and people had cleared up after themselves, which seems the opposite of some of the main camp sites. Dare I say it but I think WV attracts a different demographic to a field such as Pennards

With regards to security we had no problems with leaving stuff in our tent, there were a number of security towers around the site and regular security patrols. The site itself also has its own ring of steel and to get in you need to have a wristband which they do check.

We left about noon on Monday and it was easy to get out of the site, although we did get caught in the other festival traffic once on the main roads.

Would absolutely recommend this to anyone, we will be trying to stay here next year, if we get tickets. Would be happy to stay in any of the tents on the site as the convenience plus luxury of showers is well worth it.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

I have a question. Why do you think because you are richer you think you are better than people in the proper camping areas?

Sixth time Glasto goer and the content of OP's review is spot on, even if I shuddered slightly at the "different demographic" comment - which I'm sure wasn't meant as it read. I've been one of those "demographic" five times previous.

Focus on the content - Worthy View was terrific, I'll be doing it again, and much credit to the team who put it on. It's a nice option to have!

I have a question. Why do you think because you are richer you think you are better than people in the proper camping areas?

Play fair Russy, nowhere in there does the OP say anything about being better people.  Yes, the demographic comment could have been worded a little better(!) but as a cold fact about the relative tidiness of campsites it's fair.  The main camp sites inside the fence are left covered with shite on Monday, and from I've heard WV wasn't.  It's a valid comparison.

Play fair Russy, nowhere in there does the OP say anything about being better people. Yes, the demographic comment could have been worded a little better(!) but as a cold fact about the relative tidiness of campsites it's fair. The main camp sites inside the fence are left covered with shite on Monday, and from I've heard WV wasn't. It's a valid comparison.

Come on, he states that they are cleaner, less likely to be thieves etc. His views are very obvious.

The fact there are far less people up there and have staff employed to pick up litter and keep an eye on things throughout the weekend has conveniently slipped his mind.

Sixth time Glasto goer and the content of OP's review is spot on, even if I shuddered slightly at the "different demographic" comment - which I'm sure wasn't meant as it read. I've been one of those "demographic" five times previous.

Focus on the content - Worthy View was terrific, I'll be doing it again, and much credit to the team who put it on. It's a nice option to have!

Thanks, point taken. I have edited the post, as reading it back I understand how it could be misinterpreted. Apologies if I upset or offended anyone, this was really not my aim and I just wanted to give a useful review to help other people. I didn't want to cause a storm, sorry.

Come on, he states that they are cleaner, less likely to be thieves etc. His views are very obvious.

The fact there are far less people up there and have staff employed to pick up litter and keep an eye on things throughout the weekend has conveniently slipped his mind.

But if there are less people, security towers, security patrols and wristband entry to the campsite, then security is going to be better isn't it?  Doesn't actually say that "the people that stay here are less likely to ransack your tent", just that security is a lot tighter and as a result it's safer.

We'll agree to disagree on this one I reckon.  Put it down to interpretations.

I think it's a pretty useful review, and I'll c n p it for forwarding to anyone I know thinking of staying there. It won't be me though, I ain't ever staying off site! It's interesting to see how the experience differs in many ways, but it's got to dilute the atmosphere a fair bit.

You could slant the 'demographic' comment a bit by saying you're far more likely to be camping next to a set of braying Home Counties w*nkers up there

Edited by balti-pie

Different opinions eh!  I was cajoled into staying at Worthy View (also in a Bell tent) and myself (a glasto regular) and friends (first glasto but have been a few festivals) hated it.  Reason being:

• It is MILES from anywhere, and up a steep incline.  The tent we had was in a batch at the back, meaning it took a good 20 minute walk everyday just to get to the gate!  If you wanted to go to the Pyramid, John Peel etc you would have to allow well over an hour to get there.  Coming back was even worse, after we'd spent all day walking, dancing etc having to trudge up that b****y hill every day drove us nuts (you don't just have the steep bit to contend with - the whole thing is on an incline).
  • No nipping back to the tent for anything, unless you want to waste even more of your festival time. 
  • The whole shower thing.  We had another party of girls with us who insisted on having a shower every morning.  With rotation this took a good 2 hours out of the day, waiting for people to trudge down, have a shower, trudge back, dry off, get changed.  IT'S A FESTIVAL!  Everyone in the main site stinks anyway so what does it matter?  We ended up just arranging to meet them in there and on Sat/Sun when we had enjoyed ourselves all morning they would eventually join us about 2pm.  Madness.
  • Because people couldn't just go back into the mix it meant that people who wanted a few drinks late at night would have to stay round their tents.  We had a group next to us that made a right racket outside their tent at 4am every morning when normally they would have just been out and about.  So we probably got worse sleep than if we had just camped in Oxylers.
  • It's so overpriced that it's laughable and I have to seriously question anyone who thinks this is something worth doing.  You are basically paying all that money to hire a half decent tent and to have a shower.  I'd say in total we missed a day of quality festival time waiting for people to have showers or walking to and from the bloomin tent.

The one good thing that came out of it - everyone agreed that we wouldn't do it again!  Even the shower people said it wasn't worth the money!

This is great thankyou, we were considering WV this year but decided to hire a campervan instead, it was great but it felt like we were so far away from everything. This review has definitely swayed me to try it next year. ( if we get tickets.!!) xx

Worthy view is more of a pain to get to than either of the campervan fields,I have done all three.

I see you said they took your ticket off you and you just needed a wristband to get in and out of the gate into the festival, is that correct? It's such a faff having your ticket checked in and out for the camper van fields, would be nice if an extra wristband could be brought in there too.

We stayed at Worthy View and I'd be halfway between the 2 reviews above. Well run, clean, safe, flushing jacks were great, particularly late at night. Showers were a great bonus.

It is too far away though, and the hill is a HORRIBLE BASTARD. The atmosphere is so so at best- you miss out on the campfire atmosphere, etc.

I'd do it again though- the benefit to me having flown from Ireland lies in terms of the logistics of getting a tent, etc on site. It eliminates a lot of pains in the arse.

I've never been up to WV, but younger daughter was crew putting the tents up there this and last year and elder daughter was doing the same the year before. Their opinion was that it was all too sterile and regimented and there is no way that they could possibly make it back up the hill after a a day and night on the lash. Chair lift (ski resort style) urgently required.

3rd time staying there for me. Stayed in the main site for 9 festivals before that.

I like the convenience of arrivals and departures (main selling point for myself)

The ease of departure has meant we've stayed later on Mondays, meaning a full on Sunday is not a problem for me with driving the following morning

I like the fact I have a tent waiting for me.

Security at WV told me they had no reports of thefts from any of the tents.

I actually like the walk to the site each day. There's a bar on the way and a great view over the festival to enjoy. I can understand ppl not enjoying it, esp if they're in a rush to get somewhere specific.

We also plan ahead and take stuff for the night down in the morning with us and use the lockups on site.

Toilets were kept clean and tidy (much like the main site)

I've not bothered with the showers

I did notice a fair amount of rubbish being left behind in WV this year. This wound me up a bit as surely not having to carry a tent means you have more space to take your crap home?! There's some lazy, messy fuckers staying in WV just as in the main site (unfortunately for both places).

WV needed more bins around the tent areas.

I was searched a few times as you are entering the site each day - mildly inconvenient.

Overall I like staying in WV. I also like staying in the festival. there are numerous reasons for staying there, I think some people (from chatting to neighbours) were expecting "posh" camping and were disappointed. It's not posh, it's convenient (for arriving and leaving and not having to worry about where to put your tent). If I didn't value that convenience then I wouldn't stay there.

I see you said they took your ticket off you and you just needed a wristband to get in and out of the gate into the festival, is that correct? It's such a faff having your ticket checked in and out for the camper van fields, would be nice if an extra wristband could be brought in there too.

Yes. The WV wristband had EPO on it (easy pass out). I think it works very well.

We stayed at Worthy View and I'd be halfway between the 2 reviews above. Well run, clean, safe, flushing jacks were great, particularly late at night. Showers were a great bonus.

It is too far away though, and the hill is a HORRIBLE BASTARD. The atmosphere is so so at best- you miss out on the campfire atmosphere, etc.

I'd do it again though- the benefit to me having flown from Ireland lies in terms of the logistics of getting a tent, etc on site. It eliminates a lot of pains in the arse.

Are you aware of Camplight who offer tents set up for you within the main festival right at the top of Pennards next to the Stone Circle and Tipi field?

No hill, no tent to bring and I believe they have a constant communal campfire. Short nip to Greenpeace field for hot showers. Could be a better balance for next year for you