anything else comparable?

Summertimelover

Another vote for Womad from me.

It's smaller than Glastonbury, but much easier to get around and has a mostly happy and chilled feeling to it.

I never went when it was in Reading, but go every year now as it's only a few miles up the road from me.

If you are prepared to listen to music that is outside of the normal radio 1 and 2 fodder, it can be very rewarding.

There are some years when I enjoy it as much as Glastonbury.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also going to this (barring absolute train hell, which is currently what it looks like!) and it's a lot of fun!

Been 4 times before - it's very friendly, but nothing is on the scale of Glastonbury! It's only 5,000 people. Not a lot going on after main acts have finished - silent disco and some busking stages but it's well worth the £90 odd for a weekend ticket. If the Thirssay early entry wasn't sold it already I'd recommend getting that as well.

Also seconding Latitude. Not as friendly as Glasto, but lovely nonetheless and a lot more than the music going on. Stellar comedy line up plus dance and poetry and literature and everything else!

Yeah I've got a Thursday ticket!

I'm just back from Roskilde. It's completely different to Glastonbury - but everything is. No point comparing apples and oranges. The line-up is great - hugely varied. It's a huge festival, and Danes are some of the friendliest in the world. There's lots of nice food, some ultra-trendy clothes boutiques on site, and most importantly the beer isn't outrageously expensive (£3.80 a pint), which is pretty good all things considered.

The crowd is a mix between kids (it's a Danish ritual to start going when you're 16), to borderline elderly. As there's a warm-up for 5 days before the music starts, all the kids go early to get trashed in a field whereas the older crowd just come in for the music days. I had a shower every day and was generally in bed by 4am - if you want to party later, no problem - my Danish mates were up until 7am at least most days. And I won't mention how good looking and liberal Scandinavians are....

if you can afford it, burning man in America, only festival comparable to some of the more artistic elements of Glastonbury  (though no large musical acts, though they do have a lot of big djs).

friends went last year to burning man, and they say its one of the best experiences of their lives 

I met a girl from San Diego at Future Islands. It was her first Glastonbury - and of course she loved it. She has also been to Burning Man and said that for her, Glastonbury was 'Burning Man for music fans', in that the spirit and ethos is the same, just that there is far greater emphasis on music at G.

Bingley music live is cheap and cheerful in Bradford

Line up

Super Furry Animals

Labrinth

Embrace

Ella eyre

Scott mills

Are the ones I know plus

Adam French

April

Ash

Carl Barat and the Jackalls

Cast

Chris stark

Clubs

Deaf school

Going glackin

Fickle friends

Funeral for a Friend

Gallery Circus

Holy Esque

Hurricane #1

Hun Stephens

Idlewild

James McLaren

Kiko Bun

Kimbley Anne

Meadow Larks

Mike Dignam

Model Aeroplane

Natasha North

Nervous Orse

Nothing But Thieves

Peter Hook and the Lights

Pixel Fix

Rae Morris

Random Leap

Rockbottom Risers

Room 94

Runaway (go)

Sine ad Harnett

Stephanie Fraser

The Beat

The Blackdelta Movement

The Carnabys

The Incredible Magpie

The Jacques

The Sherlocks

The Swines

The Turning

Tom Prior

Vants

Weirds

Will Joseph Cook

Anyone recommend any of them after the first 5, I'm off to it 3 days event 4th,5th, 6th Sept I think

After loving my first Glastonbury experience this year I'm desperate to get to another festival this year. Perhaps with a little less walking though...

Just a question, is there any after hours entertainment? 9.30pm seems a bit early to be heading to bed. Need to decide which friends to pitch this to and whether it may be worth camping or travelling each day (I'm only in Leeds). 

Yay great news about Leftfield - I hadn't heard. I planned to see them last week but it didn't happen so well chuffed about that.

There are searches going in from the camp-sites (and I think because of the layout campervanners have two gates/potential search-points to go through). Not that heavy though from what I've seen and I don't recall seeing dogs. Take extra care if you're a teen and see you in the social club :)

Cheers mate. Have a good one.

After loving my first Glastonbury experience this year I'm desperate to get to another festival this year. Perhaps with a little less walking though...

Just a question, is there any after hours entertainment? 9.30pm seems a bit early to be heading to bed. Need to decide which friends to pitch this to and whether it may be worth camping or travelling each day (I'm only in Leeds).

I'm not sure, last year was my first time I only did a day pass, was a bit tipsy, if I remember correctly there was 2-3 stages, bar areas and food venues, it was after dark when we left, but right outside the park gates, there is Bingley town centre with an array of clubs and bars which are not too bad, should you wish to continue the night, sometimes they have a few live bands, a few curry house too Edited by waynewdk

The ferry prices are throwing me off this, but I really want to go and make up for missing the Chems at Glasto!

As I said before. Book a train ticket to Ryde Pier & the passenger ferry (no cars, it's like 150/200ft catarmaran) is included in the price. You can even get on an old tube train that runs from the pier head to the shore or it's a ten minute walk to the shuttle buses.

Here's a pic of the walk from pier head to buses.

306707_10150338888919743_975453606_n.jpg

On the right is the train track.

Edited by Couchy

As I said before. Book a train ticket to Ryde Pier & the passenger ferry (no cars, it's like 150/200ft catarmaran) is included in the price. You can even get on an old tube train that runs from the pier head to the shore or it's a ten minute walk to the shuttle buses.

It's just as pricey for me to do that though from North Wales. Trains from here are a bitch.

The cheapest way is a return bus from Liverpool, which is £99. Not the end of the world but I don't think I can afford that on top of spending money. Not unless I got a Bestival ticket on the cheap/got lucky in a comp.

Loving all these suggestions! Which is the best for late night entertainment? I'm always do disappointed when everything closes about 2am at every other festival bar glasto!

Boomtown goes on very late with some venues going all the way through to morning.

Boomtown goes on very late with some venues going all the way through to morning.

Not really tbh - dies out dramatically about 4am fri/sat then not so long after midnight sunday IIRC - usually to the inhabitants discontent and drum banging

Bingley is great :) go to Glasto and Bingers every year, I'm from Leeds too... Camped it one year and it was pretty rowdy! There's a campsite that backs onto a working men's club I think and they have live music on after the festival finishes for the night.... Quality lineup this year!

I'm not sure, last year was my first time I only did a day pass, was a bit tipsy, if I remember correctly there was 2-3 stages, bar areas and food venues, it was after dark when we left, but right outside the park gates, there is Bingley town centre with an array of clubs and bars which are not too bad, should you wish to continue the night, sometimes they have a few live bands, a few curry house too

Thanks! I'm definitely looking into it more and trying to convince a few friends.

My parents and a bunch of family friends are off to a small festival type weekend called Rock the Lakes near Southport. Seems to be a tribute act based festival with a few local bands. Heard good reviews so I think I'm gonna give it a go for £40.

I need to increase my endurance before next year as I barely made any late nights due to sheer exhaustion this year. I've holidays to use and no need for a beach break after the scorching weather in Pilton! 

This "once in a lifetime" trip to a festival on the back of a break up is going to cost me a bloody fortune over the years to come. I'm completely hooked and already worrying about ticket day

the Jacksons, Duran Duran, Chuckle Brothers... does it get much better?

Edit: I have actually just looked at the line up, a lot on there I didn't realise. My interest is peaking and piqued. 

Edited by mjsell