Sunday Legend 2016

O'Doyle Rules

21 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I was recently reading a reappraisal of An Innocent Man somewhere or other which seemed to indicate that it's actually quite good.

Never heard it, mind.

I like the title song, and one or two others, but most of that album was shit when it was released, and is even worse 30 odd years later. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, TheSilence said:

Calling people idiots for enjoying pop music like Lionel and Dolly Parton is embarrassingly snobby and pretty rude. 

I don't think he's calling them idiots for enjoying pop music, it's probably just a coincidence that a crowd of people who lap up washed-up 'legends' who are hawking a new greatest hits album to a festival that they would have laughed at a suggestion of playing (and who in turn wouldn't have touched them with a shitty stick) when they were in their prime feature a high percentage of idiots.

Edited by mrtourette

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Of the singles I even remember, Uptown Girl and Tell Her About It are both.........OK.

It's all personal subjective opinion, obviously, but I'd say both of those are among the worst songs he's ever produced. If you're interested, try searching YouTube for 'New York State of Mind' and 'Goodnight Saigon'. 

6 minutes ago, TheSilence said:

No. It was rude, generalising and prejudiced. It wasnt an opinion on the music itself, it was a rude opinion on the fans of that music. 

The music is bad.

What am I supposed to think of people who like what I regard as shit music? Am I meant to consider their dreadful musical tastes as good as my own? :lol:

Do you hold Westlife fans in the same esteem as you do fans of your favourite band? :lol: FFS!

The missus and I were chatting about some of the comments here around Adele the other day, and were somewhat shocked that there's so many couples with little musical affinity.

But hey, perhaps that's just us. :)

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

The music is bad.

What am I supposed to think of people who like what I regard as shit music? Am I meant to consider their dreadful musical tastes as good as my own? :lol:

Do you hold Westlife fans in the same esteem as you do fans of your favourite band? :lol: FFS!

The missus and I were chatting about some of the comments here around Adele the other day, and were somewhat shocked that there's so many couples with little musical affinity.

But hey, perhaps that's just us. :P

The song I just posted is not bad.  

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The song I just posted is not bad.  

If you like it nothing is bad.

If you don't like it it is not bad, it is just not for you.

I like some music others don't. None of us are wrong, we all just have different tastes. My wife likes Adele and has the new album. I have listened to the new album. It is not for me.

Each to their own and long may that continue.

Just now, mattyc1965 said:

I like some music others don't. None of us are wrong, we all just have different tastes. My wife likes Adele and has the new album. I have listened to the new album. It is not for me.

What you're forgetting is that I'm more righterer that others, right?

Glad we cleared that one up!

6 minutes ago, mattyc1965 said:

so there's no such thing as bad music?

For the prosecution....

I'm looking forwards to hearing your defence. :P

8 minutes ago, mattyc1965 said:

Bad is an assessment or an opinion, so it's perfectly reasonable to think something is bad rather than 'just not for you'.

Saying 'in my opinion the music produced by Dolly Parton and especially the song that stuartbert two hats posted is shit' is a perfectly reasonable opinion to have. It shouldn't covered up by some 'it's not that it's bad, it's just not for me' bullshit.

However trying to foist that opinion on others, telling them that that their differing opinion is wrong or judging them as a person solely on that opinion is wrong.

But that's just my opinion. It might be that kind of behaviour is just not for me.

Edited by mrtourette

ll this 'hey, everybody has their own thing, and that's cool' hippy claptrap is cobblers of the first magnitude. Everybody has a line where they consider music to be shite, it's just placed in a different level, that's all.

if you say you don't discriminate and believe all music is equal, well, frankly I don't believe you. I don't believe people would really be all OK and 'everybody's entitled to their opinion, maaaaaan' if it was announced that next years Headliner was the Xfactor final live from worthy farm. 

Some music is shit, and wrong and for dumbarses. And frankly, if you listen to it, yeah, I'll judge you. Call me a snob, call me an elitist, call me a c**t. i) you certainly wouldn't be the first, probably not the last and ii) tell me you don't have  some acts you consider unacceptable to headline Glastonbury. We all have a line, we just draw it in different places.

1 minute ago, mrtourette said:

Bad is an assessment or an opinion, so it's perfectly reasonable to think something is bad rather than 'just not for you'.

Saying 'in my opinion the music produced by Dolly Parton and especially the song that stuartbert two hats posted is shit' is a perfectly reasonable opinion to have. It shouldn't covered up by some 'it's not that it's bad, it's just not for me' bullshit.

However trying to foist that opinion on others, telling them that that their differing opinion is wrong or judging them as a person solely on that opinion is wrong.

But that's just my opinion. It might be that kind of behaviour is just not for me.

Except it's not.  It's categorically and objectively wrong. ;)

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

so there's no such thing as bad music?

For the prosecution....

I'm looking forwards to hearing your defence. :P

My defence is easy - but will be ignored......

I do not like Westlife but they were not bad at what they did and many liked them. Those who liked them probably did not like much of the punk I liked. That made neither bad, we just did not share the same taste.

All music that someone really does not like, to them, is bad (or shit). All music they like is not bad (or shit). Someone else will have the alternate opinion.

You might like to expand and replace the word 'music' with just about anything...... but I don't. I am happy for others to have their own opinion even if it differs from mine. If we all liked the same and thought the same wouldn't the world be a dull place!

Edited by mattyc1965

30 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The music is bad.

But hey, perhaps that's just us. :)

No, you're welcome to think they have bad music taste. 

Calling them idiots has nothing to do with their music taste, it has something to do with their intelligence, of which personal preference has no link (in most cases). 

I have no objection to you saying that a certain type of music is shit, I have no objection to you saying a certain person's music taste is shit. I do have an objection to you calling people idiots for enjoying a certain type of music, because it's rude.