Sunday Legend 2016

O'Doyle Rules

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I recently learned it's actually Groos, not Bruce.

I've still not recovered, my whole life is a lie.

*nods* Annoying, isn't it? Although to be fair he does sing 'Bruce' in the live shows now, just to take the piss!

9 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I'm no fan. Most people will know at least six songs they play even if they think they only know the blue sky one. 

They won't. Really, they won't.  We went through this months ago.  I certainly won't, for two reasons:

1. I don't know any of their songs. I listened to the greatest hits with this look on my face. :huh:
2. I will be elsewhere, because of point 1.

Lots of people will enjoy them though, so that's cool. Despite my utter grumpiness towards this band, I'm really happy for all those who had their fingers crossed.:) 

They shouldn't even be playing this slot anyway.  *grumble***grumble*

Sun is shinin' in the sky
There ain't a cloud in sight
It's stopped rainin', everybody's in the play
And don't you know, it's a beautiful new day, hey

Mr. Blue Sky, please tell us why
You had to hide away for so long, so long
Where did we go wrong?

....So, Friday and Saturday's a bit wet, but Sunday's looking pretty good on the forecast.

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I'm no fan. Most people will know at least six songs they play even if they think they only know the blue sky one. 

Just listened to the greatest hits. It was quite enjoyable and I'll probably see them unless there's something better on, Mr Blue Sky was the only song I'd ever heard before though

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Could folk throwing round the N word please explain why the likes of Brick House and Islands In the Stream are 'novelty' songs but Xanadu isn't?

Ticks all the boxes for authenticity does Jeff ... genre, gender and instrument of choice. That said, Dolly's sax solo made her performance teeter on the edge of novelty.

Funny one for me ELO, I seem to know all their hits without ever actively listening to them, can't even blame it on the parents as they weren't fans. I'm not even sure what my opinion is on them.

9 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Could folk throwing round the N word please explain why the likes of Brick House and Islands In the Stream are 'novelty' songs but Xanadu isn't?

I wouldn't say the songs are novelty songs but the whole attitude surrounding each of those bookings made it a bit of a novelty. As in, people will say they're off to see Dolly or Lionel "for a laugh" and dress up like them with accentuated features and what not. ZZ Top will probably have a fair bit more of that than ELO.

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They won't. Really, they won't.  We went through this months ago.  I certainly won't, for two reasons:

1. I don't know any of their songs. I listened to the greatest hits with this look on my face. :huh:
2. I will be elsewhere, because of point 1.

Couldn't agree more. Most people would struggle to name one of their songs, very few could name more than 1.

Glastonbury seem to have confused "legend" with "old".

12 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Couldn't agree more. Most people would struggle to name one of their songs, very few could name more than 1.

Glastonbury seem to have confused "legend" with "old".

Most people? 

Maybe it depends on age. Not sure how old you are, but I'd say 'most people' who were alive in the 70's and 80's would know several ELO songs. Whether they like them is another matter. The same could be said for most of the other legend slot acts.