My Glastonbury Experience (by Mexican Guy)

UK_Eduardo

I know nobody gives a shit, but wanted to share with real goers since my friends won't get me, if one of you even read I'll be glad. Will try to make this as shorter as I can but you guys who get to attend Glastonbury regularly should feel really thankful and happy to have the Greatest Festival of the world. I know you have many different festivals, but Glastonbury it's the one worldwide known because it deserves it and the biggest, largest fest, I myself had only been to American and Mexican festivals, and Glastonbury massiveness has no comparison at all. 

Wednesday: 
Got to the festival by coach and since the first moment I was in I felt overwhelmed by the magnitude of the festival, seems like a whole world to go and short time to do it, so put our tent quick and went all around. Got lost so many times first day but I loved to do it. I know you might be familiar to these areas but I'm pretty sure that if you go every year you will always find something new and fresh and souldnt be boring never ever. 
I spent the afternoon in the Glastonbury sign (dunno how that section is called) but is in the hill where I saw the sunset, it was awesome, feeling all the festival atmosphere sorrounded by many of you, most european but also people from all around the globe. I got surprised that not so many people take pictures in the fest, I found that great! Nothing against american but they take photo of everything, I was actually doing it (but because it was my first and hopefully not last time), some guys came to meet us and they chat with us telling us they knew we were glasto virgins because we were taking lots of pictures, funny chat we had. 
Went to stone circle to presence the bird sacrifice, reminded me of hunger game logo, hahaha. 
Spent the night on bars and dancing areas, it was pretty cool, you guys know how to party! 

Thursday
Basically spent these day to really walk ALL the festival, since Wednesday couldnt reach all areas, on Thursday I could say I walked almost every corner. Got surprised by Arcadia, it's really cool. And these day my friend and I were dressed like "Mexican Charros", dunno if any of you saw us, but many of you were talking to us and seemed to love our culture, I found that really great! Went to the hill again this time not for the sunset but to take some pictures of the Panorama and we had a great moment there, as we were walking the hill we noticed around 30 or more people dressing like mexicans!!! With "sarapes" and "sombreros" my friend and I told ourselves "we finally found some other mexicans", and they started to wave at us and scream at us, we got closer to say hi and it happened to be European people dressed like us! They told us "Real Mexicans" and were really excited to meet us, not so many mexicans were in the festival this year and we had a great time with those european -fake mexicans-, we drank some Tequila and we sang "Cielito Lindo" a well-known mexican song, we also talked with them a lot, they were pretty cool and we even took some pictures (one that you can see down below). It was the best picture of my whole trip! 
Also spent this night on the bar areas and taking some of the best shots we could of the different parts of the fest

Friday
First "big" day and we had already planned our schedules, started with the surprise act in the Other Stage, we were overwhelmed about how many people showed up, I thought crowd was gonna be a problem the whole fest, but then we move to the Pyramid Stage to see James Bay and it seemed to be easy to move between stages, we stayed for Alabama Shakes, it was amazing! and then we were in the very front row of the Pyramis Stage, I couldnt believe it! It is THE stage, the one that I always wanted to be in, we had planned to go to other stages and then come back later for the still "Surprise" set and then Florence, but I had to admit we were really temptated to stay there, front row, Pyramid Stage and so we did and though I missed some other acts I will never regret it! After the emotional Mary J Blige and the intense Motorhead sets we still didnt know who was playing and then they finally unveiled it, it was The Libertines! One of the bands we were expecting to be headlining this year and that we got dissapointed that they were not scheduled, and they were there! out of nowhere and we were about to see them front row, it was amazing! Pete Doherty and co. know how to triumphally give a show! And we finally close the Pyramid Stage day with Florence which I'm ashamed to say it's one of my favorite artists, I love her and her energy is great! She gives everything on stage and it was my top act of the whole weekend. 
After the shows and struggling to get out the Pyramid due to crowd, we had some delicious dinner out of the really many diverse food options of the fest and then spent the night close to Arcadia, Shangri-La and why not, Block 9. It was really cool! 

Saturday
We woke up with the bad news that we couldnt find our camera bag, the camera was not in but our passports and credit cards! We knew that we lost in on Pyramid Stage since we were there the whole day and after that we returned to the tent and left everything so it had to be on Pyramid Stage, but what are the odds to find that little bag in a massive, enormous farm with 150,000+ people going everywhere all the time, my hopes were low and we went to Lost & Founds... after some minutes, they had it!!! It was there with everything inside! I loved the festival even more, how something so small could be found, really great organization and honest people out there! Thanks for that! We were ready for the rest of the weekend (wouldnt have been the same). We went to circus to see the Mexican performes "Voladores de Papantla", I was very happy to see many people attending their act and clapping and getting surprised by their ritual, then we spent the rest of the days getting around many stages to fullfill our abscence or varitey of the Friday. Among the best acts we saw on Saturday I could mention George Ezra, The Maccabees, La Roux and Suede!!! I found really surprising how you could move around stages so easily and thought they were really crowded we managed to get really close almost to all acts! We even went to some minor stages and had great times in there! Saturday night came and probably the only one thing that was not as we expected was Fatboy Slim set, and it was not for him but for the area he was playing, I loved "The Blues" but it was really small for the crowd that went there, we were close to him but had to leave due to many people , we were not even enjoying, so we prefer to stay a little far from stage, sound was very low, maybe because they didnt want to attract more people. His set was great but I though it could've been better (crowd+stage). 

Sunday
Last day of the festival for us and we also wanted to see as many bands in many different stages as we could. Had some breakfast in the stalls, bought some souvenirs from the many others selling rare stuff, and finally went around all places we could, some of the best acts we saw were Palma Violets, Alvvays!, Django Django, Alt-J and my favorite of the day Belle and Sebastian. We still didnt know how we would end the festival. My friend is a big Chemical Brothers fan and I'm a big Franz Ferdinand fan, but we both knew seeing The Who is less possible to happen in Mexico, and we also liked them so we really struggle to make a decision so we did the probably worse idea, but it managed to be the best thing that we could've done! We decided to go to all three and no matter how tired we were we would Run from one stage to other to lost the less possible of every set. So we started with the Chemical Brothers in Other Stage and it was the best decision since they started with Hey Boy Hey Girl and Do It Again one of my friend's favorites, so we got to hear what we wanted and ran very quick to John Peel Stage, what a great time we had with FFS, it's a great project, I'd totally recommended and we hear some of their tracks and also a couple of Franz Ferdinand and I think one of Sparks songs, it was amazing, I'm sad that there was not to many people in there, but it was also good since we could get really close to stage! And finally we ran really quick to catch the last 5 songs of The Who that close with 2 of my favorites, so we made the best decision for us! Maybe we couldnt see the entire sets but the best we could of each one (and I wouldnt forgive myself if I wouldnt end it up on the Pyramid Stage!). As we walk out the Pyramid we could still listend from far the last FFS song , seemed they ended later than The Who! It was cool! We knew that Sunday night was gonna be long and some of you guys told me it's one of the best, but we had a plane next morning and we had to go for our stuff and leave. Got really surprised about the good organization of the coaches for the comeback, I got to leave on time!

General thoughts: 
Best experience of my life
Though some bands I would love headlining (Coldplay, Muse, Blur, Mumford) I finally understood what you all meant that sometimes headliners are not the important thing, festival experience was the best just "as is". 
Toilets were cleaner than expected. Food was better than expected. Volunteers and Security guards seemed all to be happy to be there, really great people, honest, compromised. 
Glastonbury showed in many different ways to be a Natural festival, compromised with many social, ambiental, political and world-important causes, I loved that! You dont get to see that in american festivals. 
No matter how big you think it is, when you get there it's BIGGER than that, it's overwhelming, but it's amazing that it is that massive.
Some bad thing maybe: I found many "posers", I thought there would not be, but there were some, not much, but some.
Thankful (again) about my found stuff. 
And finally I thank this forum and efestivals because it helped me the most it could to have the best preparation I could to enjoy the festival the better I could. Thank you!!!   

10410231_10152803935182531_6786488977285

Great post and glad you enjoyed it.

Also nice after the negativity of the thefts post to see that nice things still happen and your bag got handed into Lost and Found.  Goes to show the majority of the festival is still attended by decent people.

I hope you get back to see it again.

Hi everyone, thank you for reading, when I saw how much I wrote I thought it felt like a book, hahaha. I'm happy that many of you took the time to read it and found it interesting! 

And Yes! for sure I will be heading back to Glastonbury, can't assure if it'll be next year but will do for sure sometime in the future.