Gazebo's

Mouseboy11

Seemed to notice more of them this year! Anyone notice the w*nkers who had a huge one, with 3 sofas and a kitchen table under it opposite the pyramid? Just down from where the Pyramid Palace tent is. 

With what seems like an ever increasing lack of space they should really enforce this rule a bit better!

Two problems:

1. loads of people tend to leave them so they contribute to landfill.

2. loads of people were bringing them and they would take up valuable camping space in crowded areas (Although this has improved a bit since the festival has asked people not to bring them).

I appreciate that they can provide shade, but how can everyone bring one without causing the above problems?

Bring one between a group of four or six tents depending on side number. Prevent taping of multiple gazebos together. Have a 50 quid charge for one with a strongly adhesive sticker which can be refunded slightly when carried out (gazebo pass out token as proof), or money to charity.

Bring one between a group of four or six tents depending on side number. Prevent taping of multiple gazebos together. Have a 50 quid charge for one with a strongly adhesive sticker which can be refunded slightly when carried out (gazebo pass out token as proof), or money to charity.

When I was putting up the tent Wednesday morning there were a few groups that had gazebos. There were a couple of campsite crew guys who were going up to those groups telling them something along the lines of they couldn't use the gazebo for more space and that it could just cover what space there was going to be anyway, which they seemed ok with.

But what about the people who aren't in big groups?

Edited by Starchild771

I didn't see many, but a tent behind our mates had a gazebo with a long plastic runway coming out of the door of the tent, through the gazebo and out the otherside - I've no idea why!   Another group of campers started to use it as a slip and slide, which was pretty funny until they slid into our friends tent (although they weren't bothered) But back to the thread in hand, these girls had so much space in front of their tent it was a joke

Edited by verrymerry

Seemed to notice more of them this year! Anyone notice the w*nkers who had a huge one, with 3 sofas and a kitchen table under it opposite the pyramid? Just down from where the Pyramid Palace tent is.

I feel I have to defend this one as they've been our camping neighbours for years! Really lovely group of people who let us shelter under there whenever it rains - they've been going to the festival for 30-odd years.

I haven't ever seen gazebos as a problem personally but I can see why others are annoyed.

We had one (dons armour plated suit) :)

We were however way up in pylon, shared fires under it and put up a lass that we had watched wander round looking for her mates for nearly an hour and looked on the point of tears. We made sure we took up as little room extra as possible, ie, what would have been the porch tent areas plus a little extra.

Had ours up from 11AM on the Wednesday and got no hassle at all from the stewards.

Plus it was dismantled at the end and left by the bins for collection (bit broken after someone (me) fell off their chair backwards into it when celebrating :) )

Nice idea but not everyone is comfortable doing that, and the group next to us with the gazebo were really unfriendly, messy and ended up leaving all their stuff including the gazebo for someone else to clear up.

Head to the green fields then, there's loads of covered space and good cheap food and it's a better experience than sitting in a group of two enjoying noodles in a space where you talk to no-one, feeling selfish because you've made someone walk another mile with 30kg on their back for the purposes of your excessive land grab.

Alarming trend in "event shelters" and gazebos with zip up sides.  There was one right on the corner of the main junction at the top of the pyramid field that seemed to be unused. One almost opposite John Peel tent and one on the path to Gate A from John Peel area - as we passed a couple were sitting under it in acres of space like lord and lady muck.  No problem with gazebos that sit over tents and provide a communual area but when the gazebo takes its own space and then you zip it up to block off that space is really taking the piss.

The next thing will be these popping up at the main stages!!!!

I could be wrong but as the number of gazebos has gone down, the number of colossal tents seems to have gone up.

There were loads of massive 6-8 man tents all over the show from what I could see

I thought the number of massive tents had gone down, but it probably differs from field to field.

I once went to a friend's 6 man tent where the centre part was as big as my 4 man tent. There was only 3 of them staying in it too. It was crazy.

It was always going to, I warned GFL of that earlier this year. People just need to not take the piss. I'm in a one man tent, that pretty much allows sleeping and changing lying on your back. Some people including people in our group have evolved to a whole 2-3 man pod for themselves.

Only ever seen problem issues with gazebos at Reading festival. Always loads left behind, huge space being taken up by inexperienced festival goers & they never seem to get tied down properly so I've seen whole ones flying through the air when it's particularly windy (before Limp Bizkit one year springs to mind).

Edit: & one or two set on fire.

Edited by Couchy