What goes on behind the scenes?

tom22

I'm fascinated by what is going on backstage during the festival. With 2000+ acts and 110 stages or whatever it is, I'm continually amazed by how smoothly and on time it all works.

Never once seen a bloke with a guitar case sprinting across the site late for a set, never seen an artist on the way to or from a major stage, and have absolutely no idea where the artists get in, stay or get around behind the stages.

Is there a documentary or even diagram about how it all works?

I can't help much with this, but we got speaking to the security to the right side of the Pyramid and they said that one of Pharell's backing singers turned up at their gate, with no wristbands or any ID and just expected to be allowed back stage. He got in once someone came and verified him but it sounded like he wasn't very pleasant about it. I'm sure that's not the way most of the artists get in though.

They also said that Kanye had brought the whole Kardashian family with him.

I'm always surprised how good they manage to get the levels for the first song of a set.  At smaller gigs, you hear the roadies hit the snare drum repeatedly and saying "two, two two, one two " into the mike for about 20 minutes.  Yet at Glastonbury, then manage to get a huge variety of acts up on the stage sounding great* from the first note.  Sure, they can still hit the drums and say "one two" but not play it over the PA, but I'm surprised that seems to be enough.

*Ok, not perfect, some tweaking is often done once the band are one, but very little.

I can't help much with this, but we got speaking to the security to the right side of the Pyramid and they said that one of Pharell's backing singers turned up at their gate, with no wristbands or any ID and just expected to be allowed back stage. He got in once someone came and verified him but it sounded like he wasn't very pleasant about it. I'm sure that's not the way most of the artists get in though.

guy from the maccabees was complaining that all the artists on the saturday had reduced family & friends passes because kanye took such a massive entourage

guy from the maccabees was complaining that all the artists on the saturday had reduced family & friends passes because kanye took such a massive entourage

But I'm looking for the one

Have you seen her?

My psychic told me she have an ass like Serena

Trina, Jennifer Lopez, four kids

And I gotta take all they bad ass to show-biz

OK get your kids but then they got their friends

I pulled up in the Benz, they all got up in

We all went to Den and then I had to pay

If you fucking with this girl then you better be paid

There was a piece on the NME site that said Frank Turner had to smuggle a bunch of his mates in in a van because of this! 

I've seen Mik Artistik trundle along with stuff occasionally.

I don't know if it's because I spent more time around there, but trying to get across the road separating the JP tent and Silver Hayes was at times even more of a nightmare than usual due to all the vehicles. They were even having to hold vehicles back at times because the queues either side of the road were crazy.

i saw the odd tourbus going up to the park when i had to wait at the side of the road for them to pass, between park home and dairy.

i assume most of the main stages have access roads outside the festival perimiter.  back in the old days there used to be a helicopter landing pad in interstage.

I'm fascinated by what is going on backstage during the festival. With 2000+ acts and 110 stages or whatever it is, I'm continually amazed by how smoothly and on time it all works.

Never once seen a bloke with a guitar case sprinting across the site late for a set, never seen an artist on the way to or from a major stage, and have absolutely no idea where the artists get in, stay or get around behind the stages.

Is there a documentary or even diagram about how it all works?

Yeah I think you can just drive straight to the backstage areas. Certainly can with the Park, which means that you must be able to get in between Other & Pyramid too. 

Personally, I spent most of the weekend running around with an instrument case late for a show, we must not have crossed paths!

Hmm dunno about that, fair few of them were photographed in the U.S. on the Saturday night. Reckon he just brought Kim and his crew - but his crew could of been massive!

It is defo true that Kanye used a lot more passes than usual i know this as fact from a festival source

yeah but everyone loves a good bullshit rumour about Kanye/Kardashians, don't they?
"my mate who works at Glasto heard..."