Sound Levels...

Swine_Glasto2014

Could hardly hear Craig Charles in heaven on Sunday

That was the only stage I really had a gripe with.  I was there for that set on Sunday, and even up close all I could hear was bass.  That works for some music, but with the soul and funk stuff you need the high end as well otherwise you're just grooving to a bassline.  Think I lasted half an hour before I went to catch Zion Train on Hell.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other end of the scale I was chilling at West Holts early on the Saturday I think it was, and if anything I would have said the volume was too high.. I was nursing a hangover/comedown and just wanted to relax and listen to some music, I had to move elsewhere.

We were standing at the side for Lionel near the food stalls & Oxfam stand and the sound was so poor people were leaving in droves. I've never experienced that at the Pyramid before. It was so disappointing. At some points we couldn't even tell what we were listening to and the screens were out quite a bit. Wounded :-(

At The Park we could hear the Stonebridge Bar over the top of Rae Morris too.

Maybe this was the 1st year I was sober enough to realise!

Pyramid was pathetic as well.

Agree. Burt Bacharach was amazingly quiet.

Felt like telling everyone to stop talking.

2010 was the last good year for the Pyramid sound - Faithless were bloody loud and I was stood at the very back!!

I was told by someone working that on Thursday there were lots of sound issues on site and there had been local complaints as officially Thursday isn't a festival day - which may explain why William's Green was so quiet that day (much more so than same time last year) as well as other areas.

Rest of the weekend is dependent on the weather more often than not and where wind is blowing. But I only saw Libertines, Flo and Idlewild all weekend and sound was ok for all of them (bar people talking/shouting through it) Idlewild was fab though - in Avalon and right near the front in quite small crowd and everyone was into it - no talking!  

Sound from Arcadia was noticeably different this year, last year the ground was shaking as I lay in my tent, this year you couldn't hear it, either volume was far lower or it was much better controlled / directed. Other stages were all fine for me, plenty of good quality sound at a decent volume.

Where was this?

Metal Bar? Was a small tin shell of a venue which was hidden behind curtains in Shangri-La. Had like a haircut/beard shave station in their outside smoking areas. Also sold pint cans of red stripe for £3 and strong double spirits for £4. Best place in the nights!

Arcadia was crap. I left Adam Beyer because of it. Obviously better for 2manydjs so I stayed.

Turned down when Altern8 came on though

I only went to arcadia on the sunday night, and the volume for altern 8 was ridiculous...they muist have noise restrictions with it being the sunday, but its pretty pathetic....all that time / effort and money spent on arcadia and you have a sound system producing noise levels that altern 8 would've been topping 30years ago at warehouse raves!

arcadia is a marvellous installation, but everytime iv'e been too it , 2013 & 2015, the sound levels themselves have been terrible

Metal Bar? Was a small tin shell of a venue which was hidden behind curtains in Shangri-La. Had like a haircut/beard shave station in their outside smoking areas. Also sold pint cans of red stripe for £3 and strong double spirits for £4. Best place in the nights!

im sure the metal bar was called the ' the cro-bar'...perhaps in homage to the legendary metal band crowbar.

saw a band in there on the sunday night, not bad...female signer, bit Atari teenage riot about them.

I only went to arcadia on the sunday night, and the volume for altern 8 was ridiculous...they muist have noise restrictions with it being the sunday, but its pretty pathetic....all that time / effort and money spent on arcadia and you have a sound system producing noise levels that altern 8 would've been topping 30years ago at warehouse raves!

arcadia is a marvellous installation, but everytime iv'e been too it , 2013 & 2015, the sound levels themselves have been terrible

The volume was definitely much louder for Groove Armada and 2manydjs who were on before. Both excellent by the way. Groove Armada were dropping pounders all over the place and Underworld's Rez into Blur's Girls n Boys by 2manydjs? Shit son. Would love a bootleg of those sets.

The volume was definitely much louder for Groove Armada and 2manydjs who were on before. Both excellent by the way. Groove Armada were dropping pounders all over the place and Underworld's Rez into Blur's Girls n Boys by 2manydjs? Shit son. Would love a bootleg of those sets.

I guess I just went at the wrong time...did pass by when 2manydjs were on and it did sound louder, but have seen them numerous times, and its a bit samey, ended up going up the ribbon tower for a look round the site, then back down to arcadia for altern 8.

im sure the metal bar was called the ' the cro-bar'...perhaps in homage to the legendary metal band crowbar.

saw a band in there on the sunday night, not bad...female signer, bit Atari teenage riot about them.

Possibly run by the people who run the (fantastic) Crobar in central London?

Wish I'd found this place, me and my girlfriend would have loved it! Next year, next year...

I was disappointed with the sound levels, mixing, sync & clarity at the Pyramid, Arcadia & Other stage all weekend.

A few bands could be heard complaining too.

Arcadia's volume was erratic, the Pyramid was too woolly and if you stood off center there was an echo on the bass-line & the other stage the vocals were set too low.

Loud & farty bass that sounds like you've blown a cheap set of car speakers does not make a £230 a ticket festival.

Yeah, the Supergrass alright bootleg was a blinder too!

Pyramid was pathetic as well.

Really? I saw Libs, Blige, Flo, Lionel and Alt J there and thought the sound quality was far better than previous years. The latter two in particular were incredible. I stood to the left of the left hand sound desk as you look at the stage on most occasions, no more than 30 yards away. May have had something to do with it.