T in the Park 2016

crazyguy

1 hour ago, kieranboruc said:

The days of big acts not coming to Scotland is in the past with the addition of the Hydro

i'm not trying to suggest they'll disappear entirely, but the opportunities to see bands will still be reduced.

As far as agents, etc, goes, they'll have less of Scotland being put in their face as a place they should be going to. It will cease to be a place bands go to by default (much as Cardiff is, tho Glasgow/Edinburgh of course has ta big population advantage over Cardiff [I'm not trying to claim it'll be exactly the same]).

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, devilman said:

I don't get your other point. Are you saying that no bands will come to Scotland if T dies? Bollox to that. DF have strangled the music scene in Scotland. It will be better without them. 

Nope, I'm not saying no bands will come. There's a big and easy audience in Glasgow/Edinburgh.

I'm saying that without a major festival where the biggest bands might play, Scotland becomes a lesser place on 'the circuit' and that perception will creep into the choices that bands make about where they tour. Where some might play (say) London and Scotland today, in the future some of those will choose just London.

If one part of Scotland's music scene is degraded, that will impact into other parts.

It's not the moaning about T and wanting it to be better that saddens me, but the posts that are wishing its death. That'll be bad for festivals (my angle) and for Scotland too.

11 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Which is basically what I said isn't it? The crowd for them was bigger at Glasto sold way more tickets meaning there is going to be a bigger crowd.

Not really. I'm saying even allowing for Glastonbury having more people there they got a proportionally much bigger crowd there. A bigger % of attendees went to LCD Soundstage at Glastonbury than they did at T. The difference in the crowds isn't just down to the difference in the number of people at each festival.

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

If one part of Scotland's music scene is degraded, that will impact into other parts.

And thats my biggest fear with the way that T has been heading.

After seeing the dismal crowd that LCD Soundsystem got on Sunday, I'm worried next time they do a UK tour, they'll miss Scotland out and other bands will start picking up on that too.

7 minutes ago, StevieMcK said:

After seeing the dismal crowd that LCD Soundsystem got on Sunday, I'm worried next time they do a UK tour, they'll miss Scotland out and other bands will start picking up on that too.

I wouldn't expect anyone to go to a festival that had nothing on for them (devilman), but for plenty of others the likes of LCD are the sorts of bands they say they want - and when those people don't buy a ticket and LCD have a small crowd, what's going to be DF's view towards booking bands like that again?

When you add in what seems to be a pretty active campaign to influence people away from going who might otherwise go (think tories in the 80s and Labour right now) then I can only see it going one way. ;)

What DF have done is a smart move.  Over the last 5 years, they've made an active effrot to make T a rite of passage festival for 16/17/18yr olds.  There has been a deliberate shift in the sorts of acts they've booked, but the down side to the is the amount of wee f@nnies it now attracts.  When you speak to folk in that age group and ask them what was the best part of the festival, without doubt they all say "the campsite", where they can sit drinking and behaving as they please.  

The downside of that is, the majority of kids attending don't really care who is playing. 

DF aren't going to change that policy as its easy money for them.  Furthermore, the police aren't going to crack down on the event as a result of the drug related deaths, in the same way they done with The Arches in Glasgow, as TITP is seen as too important an event to fail. 

44 minutes ago, StevieMcK said:

The barrowlands is their favourite venue and they joked how they could fit the whole crowd in there . But for other bands it might be a problem

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Nope, I'm not saying no bands will come. There's a big and easy audience in Glasgow/Edinburgh.

I'm saying that without a major festival where the biggest bands might play, Scotland becomes a lesser place on 'the circuit' and that perception will creep into the choices that bands make about where they tour. Where some might play (say) London and Scotland today, in the future some of those will choose just London.

It's not the moaning about T and wanting it to be better that saddens me, but the posts that are wishing its death. That'll be bad for festivals (my angle) and for Scotland too.

That has already happened. T, through incompetence and pandering to vocal social media factions, has already stopped big bands coming. They still play Hampden, Murrayfield and the Hydro though. RHCP came because they slutted themselves out to every festival this year. No one else really considers T anymore and why would they? Risk playing to an empty field or have your art shouted over by drugged up neds shouting "here we fucking go" all the time? When double payday weekends are on offer elsewhere? Don't think T has been a draw for several years.

41 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I wouldn't expect anyone to go to a festival that had nothing on for them (devilman), but for plenty of others the likes of LCD are the sorts of bands they say they want - and when those people don't buy a ticket and LCD have a small crowd, what's going to be DF's view towards booking bands like that again?

Chicken and the egg scenario. Let's go back to 2012 when all the regular T punters bought their tickets and then were fed a shite EDM and pop line up with very little for them. I must personally know 200 people that haven't been back because of that. I know some that have finally given up this year because they were still loyal despite the change in direction. I predicted this back then. If they want decent crowds then they have to put on decent bands. Yes the EDM is popular with a certain faction of Scotland's audience but they have pretty much got that whole audience attending. The other 55k people that used to come are going else where. If they want them back, they'll have to put on something for them throughout the weekend and not just the odd token band in a shite slot. What kind of idiot puts Pixies against Biffy and then EDM/pop for the rest of the weekend? Build it and they will come. Trouble is it would cost too much to reverse the damage done. It has to go, rebrand and come back or die altogether. So you are right in the respect that it is only heading one way.

22 minutes ago, StevieMcK said:

DF aren't going to change that policy as its easy money for them.  Furthermore, the police aren't going to crack down on the event as a result of the drug related deaths, in the same way they done with The Arches in Glasgow, as TITP is seen as too important an event to fail. 

30k paying customers that piss off the majority of the acts on the bill by not showing up to watch compared to 85k who did? DF should be very very concerned.

5 minutes ago, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

Is this a perspective thing or is there really hardly anyone there?

I wasn't there myself but other people's experiences along with other images do suggest the crowd was that small. Although my initial reaction was of disbelief it (sadly) isn't all that surprising.

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

Not really. I'm saying even allowing for Glastonbury having more people there they got a proportionally much bigger crowd there. A bigger % of attendees went to LCD Soundstage at Glastonbury than they did at T. The difference in the crowds isn't just down to the difference in the number of people at each festival.

If Glasto had another 160k people on top though it is very likely that most acts playing both festivals will have a bigger crowd. In this case there is obviously going to be a certain amount from it for LCD.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

When you add in what seems to be a pretty active campaign to influence people away from going who might otherwise go (think tories in the 80s and Labour right now) then I can only see it going one way. ;)

The thing is here, if they booked Calvin Harris along with basically their version of Creamfields in Scotland it would sell the best it has for years now.

1 hour ago, devilman said:

30k paying customers that piss off the majority of the acts on the bill by not showing up to watch compared to 85k who did? DF should be very very concerned.

Pretty much what I was gonna say. It might be easy money to sell 30,000 tickets, but surely if they are comparing it to before they went crazy with the EDM, the message is clear. 

This was my first TITP and was a bit sceptical after seeing the comments on TITP 2015 but wanted to give it a go after attending Reading 2014 and V 2015 and the line up had a good mix for myself (mostly indie/rock fan) and the Mrs (mostly EDM fan).

Camped in Blue which was a bit rowdier than we’d expected but not unbearable. Sunday night before they left, a group of around late teens decided they would 2 foot tackle their tents and left a right mess. Whenever we left our tent and returned, they would always be sat outside their tents so not sure how much music they actually saw, echoing what others on here have suggested.

Thursday night the Hot Dub Time Machine was really good and having wandered the site I thought the lay out was spot on. Walk from main to King Tuts was long but can’t see how they could change this.

Friday weather was quality and always nice to be able to sit infront of main stage in the sun with a beer. Highlights on Friday were Oh Wonder on Radio 1, Disclosure and Stone Roses who sounded much better than reviews I’ve heard. Saturday caught some of Spring King and VANT who both sounded decent, big crowd for Catfish who were on top form and Calvin was good to bounce around to. Sunday highlights were Jake Bugg, Slaves who sounded great and good banter with the crowd and Chase & Status. Stumbled across Hey Hello in T Break due to the rain and was pleasantly surprised.

Weather tried its best to ruin the weekend but I don’t mind a bit of mud and if anything just helped burn more calories on the walk to/from the arena – and it’s also entertaining seeing someone hit the deck and struggle to get back up after a few too many! Used Be Chilled and thought it was a really good idea.

Most people I spoke to there were really friendly and didn’t see any of the fights. A good selection of food on offer too.  I understand people on here who once loved TITP and nowadays aren’t getting the line ups they would like, however there are such a large number of festivals around that it’s easy to just pick one that suits you.  

I went into TITP 2016 with an open mind and had a very enjoyable weekend.

2 hours ago, ___S_o_m_a__ said:

Is this a perspective thing or is there really hardly anyone there?

I was there, it really was that poor. It continues a bit further back than the shot, but people are dotted about. It did get a bit busier as the night went on, but not a huge amount. 

2 hours ago, Threestripes said:

Where did this figure come from mate??

Campsite was heaving.

I read someone say they got told by a member of staff there that they averaged around 30,000 ticket sales for each day. Don't know if its true though.

On 11/07/2016 at 5:00 PM, eFestivals said:

I don't get why some people seem to take so much joy at running it down.

OK, it might not be perfect, but if a large-scale festival can't sustain itself in Scotland plenty of these acts won't be coming to Scotland at all, and all of Scotland will be the poorer for it. I doubt there'd be a replacement. :(

People have the right to complain. T is a shadow of its former self, and the organisers only have themselves to blame.  I think most folk who have great memories of T are sad to see what it has become. 

The videos of the trouble, and non existent crowds tells its own story. In the years I went along at Balado, trouble was mainly in the minority. Looks different now due to the amount of 16 yr olds that are hellbent on causing grief for all around them.

Scotland does deserve a decent festival, but T is no longer it. For the money they charge for tickets it should be top notch and flawlessly run. It now seems Ellis and co are only interested in profit and not putting on a decent show and its been heading that way for a while, even before the move to Strathallan.

As for big bands not coming to Scotland? Plenty of gigs at Murrayfield, Hampden, Parkhead, The SSE Hydro etc.

Ellis and Co need a huge wakeup call, and I hope that wakeup call is fewer tickets sold next year for T. They can't keep getting away with it.

35 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

I read someone say they got told by a member of staff there that they averaged around 30,000 ticket sales for each day. Don't know if its true though.

I find 30,000 very hard to believe. No doubt it is down alot on previous years and I've heard from a friend that Friday and Sunday were the quietest he had ever seen T, he did mention Saturday was busy as well as the campsite. 

If it was down as much as 30,000 the fest might not even have went ahead such would the losses that DF would make. 

Thought this year was so much better than last. Got the bus and was home in half an hour every night. Lineup was piss thin though with barely anything on before 4 o clock.  The crowds at some of the bands just shows the way the demographic has gone, will only get worse as they move the budget to acts that the crowd demand unfortunately.