NFR NFC 2016 - The Friendly Thread for Lovely People

jeffie

14 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

That song has creeped me out for years, ever since it was used in Gremlins. 

That might be where I know it from!! Apparently it was written by a couple during the Cuban Missile Crisis, and is a plea for peace. Bit apt for now, our conductor was saying the other night. 

Yep, have just googled that to make sure I was right and I am. It's quite a lovely song. 

• Replies 19.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lucyginger

• mr gumby

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, lucyginger said:

Sounds good! How big is your choir?

The choir for Sunday's concert is about 200 strong, and we sing with a professional orchestra, in one of the big venues in town. It's fun! We're doing funky versions of O Little Town, God Rest Ye, Hark the Herald (or hark the horrid, as my old music teacher called it!), things like that, also Do You Hear What I Hear?, and the Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah :) I think we're doing 15 or 16 songs/pieces in all, all from memory! Eek!

In January, my other choir (which is much much smaller) are doing bits of The Messiah, with a small chamber orchestra and us, and then Vivaldi's Gloria with 200 school kids! Should be fun~! I'm really looking forward to the intimate version of the Messiah. No finbarr intended!

Oh and I sing top soprano, so it really shows if I go wrong!!!!

Wow Lucy it sounds like you're a lot more professional than me!  16 songs is a lot to do from memory.  We're a small village choir, about 35 strong.  No audition required to join, but we have a nice sound. I'm in the upper altos, so get to hide a bit.  On the downside we rarely have the tune, so it can be hard to remember our part sometimes. We've done Do You Hear What I hear? in the past and it is lovely.  Favourites of mine are Gaudete and Mary's Lullaby, a simple but really beautiful carol by John Rutter, who usually does annoyingly fiddly  arrangements.  Apparently he was on a deadline so wrote it in a couple of hours, and it's gorgeous..

52 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

Wow Lucy it sounds like you're a lot more professional than me!  16 songs is a lot to do from memory.  We're a small village choir, about 35 strong.  No audition required to join, but we have a nice sound. I'm in the upper altos, so get to hide a bit.  On the downside we rarely have the tune, so it can be hard to remember our part sometimes. We've done Do You Hear What I hear? in the past and it is lovely.  Favourites of mine are Gaudete and Mary's Lullaby, a simple but really beautiful carol by John Rutter, who usually does annoyingly fiddly  arrangements.  Apparently he was on a deadline so wrote it in a couple of hours, and it's gorgeous..

We don't audition either! Both choirs are community ones, and very different. The big one is more contemporary, with a splash of traditional stuff. The small one, we do big choral works, such as Mozart's Requiem, Carmina Burana, Beethoven's 9th, Verdi's Requiem, that sort of thing. It's brilliant fun! 

I love a good Rutter carol, can't think of any by name but he writes so well :) 

56 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Oi, why am I being compared to Hitler? Can't picture him having ever finbarred anything. And I'm tall. And not Austrian. And I'm certainly not a nazi. 

Are you a painter??

On 16 December 2015 at 10:15 PM, Curlygirl said:

I've had a lovely evening considering it has been toned down due to a funeral on Friday. Thanx again for birthday wishes. 

What are you revising for Carol?

And where are you off to Fairy? I remember you saying you were going away but I don't remember where. 

I'm off to Marsa Alam in Egypt for Christmas :-) 

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I'm off to Marsa Alam in Egypt for Christmas :-) 

Ooh, very nice!! Have a lovely time!

today has been a lot more emotional than I thought it would be. My friends are clearly very upset. Then my sister sent me photos of my great niece... Settling into her new home. I wept. How sad. I don't even know why I cry, happiness that she stays within the family? Or upset that my nephew has lost his daughter thanx to the mental girlfriend who refuses to get help. Either way, we still have her and we will all over compensate for the loss of her parents. She will be one spoilt little girl X

Edited by Curlygirl

once again the week has flown by the ups and downs the unexpected and were still alive .......and with xmas just around the corner it seems that there is always shit and death on the news so for the last time before the dreaded day arrives i wish one and all a happy and safe weekend ..........me im gonna get completely fucked up tomo so HAPPY DAYS

3 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

once again the week has flown by the ups and downs the unexpected and were still alive .......and with xmas just around the corner it seems that there is always shit and death on the news so for the last time before the dreaded day arrives i wish one and all a happy and safe weekend ..........me im gonna get completely fucked up tomo so HAPPY DAYS

Good choice Guy!! I'm gonna do that tonight. Hope you're ok matey! 

3 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

today has been a lot more emotional than I thought it would be. My friends are clearly very upset. Then my sister sent me photos of my great niece... Settling into her new home. I wept. How sad. I don't even know why I cry, happiness that she stays within the family? Or upset that my nephew has lost his daughter thanx to the mental girlfriend who refuses to get help. Either way, we still have her and we will all over compensate for the loss of her parents. She will be one spoilt little girl X

Why wouldn't you cry CG?  It's really momentous stuff.  It's lovely that you'll be a big part of your great niece's life, but also reeally sad that her father won't be.  Give yourself some TLC; hugs coming your way.