Weeing in the hedgerows

pouxin

Had a great time as per usual.

However, the amount of men (don't want to seem sexist here, but I only saw men) pissing in the hedgerow seemed excessively bad this year (been going since ~2000). I've tried various tactics over the years to stop this as I think it's despicable - shaming, shouting, semi-joking. This year I went for recording them (and their delightfully exposed genitalia) on my mobile phone while I reminded them they were damaging wildlife and risking the festival's future and made some helpful suggestions (like: "oh look - there's a toilet LITERALLY JUST THERE FOUR FEET AWAY"). They didn't seem to like that much.

More affirmative action needs to be taken. Seriously, if stewards observe wanton littering and/or pissing they should be allowed to cut someone's wrist band off and have them ejected. It's disgusting and unacceptable. It really, really upsets me because it's so unnecessary. There are ample toilets, and men who want to wee don't even have to contend with some of the issues that women/anyone who wants to poo has (ie 'ewww I can't sit on that rank seat!') So it's just f-ing entitled asshattery and it makes my blood boil.

Rant over.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, the amount of men (don't want to seem sexist here, but I only saw men) pissing in the hedgerow seemed excessively bad this year (been going since ~2000). I've tried various tactics over the years to stop this as I think it's despicable - shaming, shouting, semi-joking. This year I went for recording them (and their delightfully exposed genitalia) on my mobile phone while I reminded them they were damaging wildlife and risking the festival's future and made some helpful suggestions (like: "oh look - there's a toilet LITERALLY JUST THERE FOUR FEET AWAY"). They didn't seem to like that much.

More affirmative action needs to be taken. Seriously, if stewards observe wanton littering and/or pissing they should be allowed to cut someone's wrist band off and have them ejected. It's disgusting and unacceptable. It really, really upsets me because it's so unnecessary. There are ample toilets, and men who want to wee don't even have to contend with some of the issues that women/anyone who wants to poo has (ie 'ewww I can't sit on that rank seat!') So it's just f-ing entitled asshattery and it makes my blood boil.

Rant over.

Saw a woman squatting in the open by the water fountains by the other stage, was grim

Yeah, I've seen one woman historically, but it is mainly men. Beyond the fact that far more men than women seem to wee on the land, it is kind of a gendered issue for me, because, as a woman, I feel much more nervous confronting a man (with his penis exposed) about his bad behaviour than I would another woman. Girls in the UK are generally taught by their parents not to anger male strangers with their willies out, and the message sticks into adulthood. Obviously this isn't *men's* fault per se, but the ridiculously binary gendered way society conditions us all, but still, it is what it is.

Rant over.

On the way in on wednesday morning I was I had been in the queue  for 3 hours in the baking heat, which was around 25/30 people wide due to some pretty awful management from the stewards and the the only conceivable place to go was by a fence - point is even though I do agree with your overall point, there are times when there is very limited options, and if you have a bladder is like mine holding in is impossible!

I only saw 2 people (both male) peeing in inappropriate places, one of whom was actually INSIDE a urinal enclosure, but he was so hatracked that he probably didn't realise there wasn't a trough in front of him.

Overall possibly the fewest cases I've seen over the years.

Yeah, I've seen one woman historically, but it is mainly men. Beyond the fact that far more men than women seem to wee on the land, it is kind of a gendered issue for me, because, as a woman, I feel much more nervous confronting a man (with his penis exposed) about his bad behaviour than I would another woman. Girls in the UK are generally taught by their parents not to anger male strangers with their willies out, and the message sticks into adulthood. Obviously this isn't *men's* fault per se, but the ridiculously binary gendered way society conditions us all, but still, it is what it is.

Really?!!

I have said in another thread, counted 15 people (13 blokes and 2 women) peeing and 1 bloke having a poo in the hedge between other and Glade (it reeked of pee so must be a usual spot) I sent a Twitter message to the festivals Twitter accounts and also Emily, advising the problem and asking if stewards or security could patrol, had no message back sadly.

I heard Emily was called to a meeting Saturday about the amount of ammonia in the water.

A tougher stance needs to be taken as said earlier if caught eject them from the festival.

At the end of the day it's Michael and Emily's back garden and they do not have to put the greatest party in the world on.

Saw loads of people ( mainly men) peeing along fences, into cups in crowds - my friend saw a bunch of girls and boys all peeing in cups at the pyramid. He also said that men were peeing on the ground in the urinals as they couldn't wait for a space with it being 2 deep. Long lines for loos in between main acts mean people will go anywhere if they are desperate or if in a packed crowd. The person who gets my award for lazy idiot was the chap who walked 6yards out of a not very packed Ryan Adams crowd at The Park to deposit a cup of his urine on the floor by my feet, said to me it was good stuff and walked back to his place. Having already had a cup of warm pee kicked all over my trainers up at the opening ceremony I ended up having to move slightly knowing the next person who walked through would kick it over- which they surely did 10mins later- all over someone else's shoes :( !!!! Given all the films about don't per on the land at the pyramid it's clear some people just take the piss ( pun intended)

They need more toilets by the other stage. There are a lot, but not enough. It's a huge trek if you're at the front and have to walk round. I have a litre bottle with me and am prepared to do the fairly grim thing of going in that, sealing it and keeping it with me till I can get to one). A handy extension hose emerging from my groinal area allows no splashes or exposure :-)

I saw a girl wee behind the composting loos at the back of the Other Stage & she was trying to get her boyfriend to go but he was getting stage fright so I told them to go to the Longdrops further back because my boyfriend had only been waiting 5 mins, so girls are as bad!

I think its time to start ejecting people from the festival, before the council revoke the license due to pollution.

Yep. Strongly agree with this. It would definitely stop some people. If you're caught you're out. Simple as. Get the green police back too. I saw one guy going, we shouted like dude, there's toilets just there, fuck sake. Just got ignored.

I've definitely seen blokes pissing against the outside of the urinal enclosure. Grim. Perhaps they should put troughs on the outside of the fences too, if you want to piss in full view, at least make it so they can do so and have their waste disposed of properly.