Should the permit be increased to allow more people?

crazyguy

its not so much the numbers, its how people spend their day too many people at the main stages, and not enough at the fringe stuff. They could probably add 20k who have no interest in the bigger stuff, and the site wouldnt suffer. But adding 20k general punters would be unbearable

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is FAR too crowded for the legend slots so maybe something needs to be looked at.

Making the only big thing on Thursday be at William's Green also doesn't really work.

Why do people assume they can just expand the site? They're already renting extra land they don't own, it's not as simple as just using more of their own land.

I anticipated a discussion on here after the festival about crowding as I too thought that it did seem busier this year somehow. Perhaps its just down to the particular scheduling and popularity of the bands in any given year. Didnt official crew capacity go up this year though?

I was there in 2004 and got good position (i.e. in about half way between sound stage and front) for all three pyramid headliners by turning up during the act before. Even in 2007 you could chill at the back of the pyramid field during the day, the crowds are insane these days in comparison. 

I do miss the quieter days as it was more chilled in general and so much easier to get food and get to the toilets.

On the other hand, extra numbers have meant more things to do and I'm sure its lead to an investment in the sound equipment etc which is massively better than 10 years ago.

I think the site is about at capacity, but who knows, if they could reconfigure the paths and provide a few more things to do on Thursday it would help

I was there in 2000 (Bowie was awesome). The crowding was insane and there were people camping *everywhere* including by the Accoustic tent and on pretty much anything flat, apart from the main arenas, by the Sunday. The fence was completely down in many areas, allowing people to come and go as they pleased.

2003, 2004 and 2005 were great. I think the organisers didn't realise how many people came over the fence so they set the capacity lower than they needed to. But eating, drinking and having a slash without having to queue was great.

They can increase the camping all they like but there is only one Pyramid and with the current numbers there will always be crushes. I last went in 2010 and vowed not to go again as it's become a complete pain getting around and getting anything to eat or drink.

I was only a teenager and can't really remember much of '94.. but is there any real figure for the crowd the Levellers pulled. I remember it being absolute carnage.. but these days I see figures of 300k.. which just seems crazy when barely 100k could fit in for the stones.

for me going in 2013 i found the rolling stones was only crowd where ya had to cue a special way and it went all up the hill.

now this year most of hill was fullish for most acts..now i dnt know if it was the weather or the type of people getting tickets. my mate did say it seemed like less "hippies" going and lots more of the people who wont move away from main stage all day, and a lot of the trendies and stag dos and college and uni leaver types. so more people going for the music than the whole glasto experience of the circus the weird stuff etc.

we aso noticed despite the efforts of shangri la and other night areas such as arcadia many people didnt seem interested by the polotics and the effort and just wanted to go into shangri la cos it was like going into a club and they could get drunk. this meant more people in certain areas so it does seem really busy in some places and less so in others. Also ya feel like some places you will never see like beat hotel is always busy 24/7 and is rammed.

This to me means if they wanna let more people in they would need to lose some of wht makes Glastonbury dfferent and it would slowly just become another huge commercial festival instead of what it is now and i think a nice mix of the charity and polotics stuff with a bit of commerciality. Lots of arty stuff etc.

Also certin areas would just become dangerous.

Exactly this!

Absolutely not. I think the festival has too many people as it is, though decreasing the numbers would make it harder to get a ticket and would also mean they might have to charge more per ticket so not sure I'd be in favour of that. 

Not really practical to make the site bigger either - even if it was possible to get land from other farms if they make it any bigger it would make getting from one end of the site to another even more of a struggle. 

Reduce the capacity to 100k, book smaller acts rather than trying to compete with other large festivals, it would lose nothing and gain much.

This!

The pinch point to the south east of the pyramid en route to the OS on Friday was horrendous, we had no choice but to turn back.

No! I'd rather they reduced capacity. It was so busy this year. I guess that's partly down to the extra people that camp offsite at Worthy Camping and the other glamping camps. Increasing the amount of people going would be horrible and a disaster waiting to happen.

This video shows the subheadliner in 2000 saturday night, the year of all the fence jumpers when it was apparently dangerously crowded and we had to be protected from ourselves with a big fence and lots of cameras watching us:

https://youtu.be/K0D-oBbLG0g

Be honest.  It isn't that quiet now at 4 in the afternoon, let alone for the sub.

I wonder if there are a higher proportion of people there now who want to stick at the Pyramid/main stages and that's it. Would possibly explain a higher concentration of people at the Pyramid despite lowering the capacity post-fence.

Or, more eloquently...

Is it just the fact there are more cbombs?

Edited by GlastoSimon

I wonder if there are a higher proportion of people there now who want to stick at the Pyramid/main stages and that's it. Would possibly explain a higher concentration of people at the Pyramid despite lowering the capacity post-fence.

Or, more eloquently...

Haha sorry.