The Libertines - why did they not announce it, ridiculous

Collide

i think the new album will do okay but will very much be for the prior fans - i really can't see it winning over many people who weren't already Libertines fans or increasing their fanbase very much. it'll be interesting to see where they go from here actually, as for almost their entire career a large part of their success has been down to the fights and drugs and the 'will they, won't they' aspect - now that they seem to be a fully functioning act, all they've got to fall back on is their music. i've no doubt they'll sustain their current success, but what next?

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the new album will do okay but will very much be for the prior fans - i really can't see it winning over many people who weren't already Libertines fans or increasing their fanbase very much. it'll be interesting to see where they go from here actually, as for almost their entire career a large part of their success has been down to the fights and drugs and the 'will they, won't they' aspect - now that they seem to be a fully functioning act, all they've got to fall back on is their music. i've no doubt they'll sustain their current success, but what next?

I don't know, it's weird to word but you can't help but love the libertines. When they walked on stage at Glastonbury it actually made me very happy, as you said the "will they won't they" factor probably brought that. They are a band that I imagine mean a lot, to a lot of people. There's definitely a cult / family status to their fanbase, and if cult bands are anything to go by I can see them lasting a long time. They have the songs and they have the live show in my opinion. However I do reckon they'l probably become a reading house band and headline it every couple of years.

the new album will be a interesting listen - obviously they've already done enough to cement their part in history, pretty much with the first album alone, so they don't have to worry about that, but will the new album (or anything that follows) be up to scratch? i reckon it/they'll be okay, but the second album didn't exactly set the world on fire either

the new album will be a interesting listen - obviously they've already done enough to cement their part in history, pretty much with the first album alone, so they don't have to worry about that, but will the new album (or anything that follows) be up to scratch? i reckon it/they'll be okay, but the second album didn't exactly set the world on fire either

There's potential there for the third album to be really good, I thought the latest Babyshambles one was surprisingly good.

I was a bit fuzzy on the friday morning but i swear the news/info board in pennards had the libs confirmed on it when i made my way to the charlatans at 11ish. 

Wasn't overly impressed with the set, felt like they were going through the motions. Also, really felt for the girl near me who almost cried when common people started to play and she thought it was pulp.

The o2 gets skipped quite a lot here I find, hit or miss whether bands play. Could still happen admittedly, I hope it does!

I just mean Bristol gets skipped mainly because the venues aren't big enough (yet). The Libertines choosing to do small venues would give a glimmer of hope if anything, although I still think Bristol is too small.

If this Libs album is a big one then it's not that big a stretch to suggest they could headline, if not next year then 2017. 

I think the album will be a success and could push them slightly bigger but it won't land them a headline spot in 16 or 17. If they had play 14 in a sub slot instead then with a new album, bar Biffy they'd be my 1st suggestion I'd put forward. The band themselves put in a lot of effort to be able to make that sub slot too, private helicopters etc which shows how much it meant to them and that they didn't get when it came to Glasto fee vs travel on a slot that was less favorable to them.

I think when it comes to their R&L headline slots though that they'll only get 1 more song off the new album compared to Glasto who got two of them themselves. I think Anthem For Doomed Youth is possibly better than Gunga Din.

• 4 weeks later...

My smart phone was off all day and I heard it was the Libertines about 3pm ish, I heard lots of people saying it and I even think the board in our campsite said it when I went past about 6pm ish (along with other sets during the week).

We were with a group of teenagers who were phone obsessed so I did check with them that it was confirmed just before but I would've known without that.

Great pity for you especially as so many of us who aren't fans and didn't even go knew about it. The only thing is in my experience the Kidz fields years last so little time and in a few years time you'll be out and about more around the site and hopefully then will hear what's going on in time.

Anyone who missed it, I wouldn't be to disappointed to be honest with you.

It was "ok" , a bit self indulgent if anything. Nothing that great, the best part of it was the atmosphere in the field before hand.

I should really have gone to see Caribou instead to be fair.

The atmosphere was great in the run up, the whole field was buzzing and I went in not knowing who'd be on.  As I wandered through the crowd I asked a few folks and everyone gave a different answer :)

I remember just before they came on when common people was played a voice said "this is definitely the last time you'll hear this here tonight", referencing the fact that a fair number of people thought it was going to be pulp.

The actual performance I didn't think was anything special.  I've seen video of libs performances previously and it didn't feel like they gave anything extra for the venue and the event, but they were musically tight enough even if the mix was pretty poor, not saying I didn't enjoy it though.

I'm not a fan but I heard from the people camping next to us and two other sets of friends on site it was them by mid morning. So the info was out there.

Camping stewards are quite a good source for this I think as they sometimes put it up on a board. I saw on Saturday night that he Dalai Lama would be on Sunday at 3 and was mega confused as I knew Patti would be on then... makes sense now.

I'm not a fan but I heard from the people camping next to us and two other sets of friends on site it was them by mid morning. So the info was out there.

Camping stewards are quite a good source for this I think as they sometimes put it up on a board. I saw on Saturday night that he Dalai Lama would be on Sunday at 3 and was mega confused as I knew Patti would be on then... makes sense now.

To be fair, there were a lot of names being bandied around that morning. In hindsight you can point to why the Libertines info was more credible, but from off-site at least it was only from noon onwards where the info pointed at it actually being them. Edited by stuartbert two hats

I don't think it's ridiculous that they were not announced. Would have been helpful certainly but I had no idea it would be them but I knew The Libertines were one of the rumours. I just thought to myself, a special act is tba, it's likely to be someone good so I'll go and wait to find out who it is. And what a pleasant surprise it was!

Edited by sime

I couldn't get the twitter text to work so had my brother reading secret glasto and texting me. He was convinced it was Bastille. Even to the point where the libertines banner was down he rang me to tell me I was wrong....never trust little brothers!

I'm still trying to work out how to go to afford Friday as well as the Saturday already planned at Leeds.

I loved the songs in the interval, a number of which were from the artists rumored to be playing. Every time a song started all the people round me went quiet to see if that band would walk on stage. 

I couldn't get the twitter text to work so had my brother reading secret glasto and texting me. He was convinced it was Bastille. Even to the point where the libertines banner was down he rang me to tell me I was wrong....never trust little brothers!

I'm still trying to work out how to go to afford Friday as well as the Saturday already planned at Leeds.

I loved the songs in the interval, a number of which were from the artists rumored to be playing. Every time a song started all the people round me went quiet to see if that band would walk on stage. 

Sorry about that, I did hedge my bets with the first tweet.  He obviously wasn't paying attention though because I'd tweeted confirmation long before the banner came down.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

I'm pretty sure it was that he was in the pub and rather drunk and was reading tweets Re: Bastille at Williams's green from earlier in the day.

The secret Glasto twitter helped me a few times over the weekend so thank you for your hard work. 

Just realised that England v Australia in the Rugby world cup is the night before ticket day. Here's hoping hangover anxiety helps 2 years in a row....

Although not even owning  a  mobile phone I'd heard  about Frank Turner in Strummerville from someone in Camp Solo via Secretglasto and the when at Strummerville heard from someone else via Secretglasto about the Libertines. So Secretglasto definitely worked for me.

I was too wrecked to move from my seat at The Cider Bus. We had been at it since The Charlatans played their  first note !

A mate on hearing the news was physically sick with excitement - and he was watching at home