The Libertines - why did they not announce it, ridiculous

Collide

One of my fave bands and I didnt get to see them because someone thought it was a good idea not to announce the fact they were playing... on the bloody Pyramid stage!

Love glasto, had another amazing year (as always!) love the secret sets, they add even more magic to the festival and completely understand why they need to be secret sets at the Park with the capacity up there... but on the Pyramid?!

Even the stewards on our family camp site didn't have a clue who it was going to be on Friday morning, ended up hearing them play 'Don't look Back into the Sun' moving towards the pyramid stage and seeing them leave the stage, unbelievable gutted!!! Felt quite cheated.

Don't own a smart phone and was in the Kidz Field all day with the little one, my mates missed it too.

Why did they do that? Bizarre. 

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the suspense of it all right up to an hour before it then everyone seemed to know.

I was hearing rumours of pulp as well as the libs but then I bumped into a mate who is friends with the drummer Gary who confirmed they were all on site.

It was blooming amazing! Made my weekend!

To be honest you knew there was a gap to be filled, I couldn't get on my internet on my phone but a quick sms to my dad at home in the middle of the day resulted in him finding it on a few places on the net taking about it.

There was a lot of confidence in the rumour so I changed my plans.

The result of not announcing it was the crowed going nuts when the banner was unfurled and the band walked on.

A real moment.

I can understand the frustration but it had been known for the best part of a week there was another band TBA so you could have gone down there just to see who it was just in case (plus it was known from lunchtime onwards it was the Libertines)

Edited by cdm22

One of my fave bands and I didnt get to see them because someone thought it was a good idea not to announce the fact they were playing... on the bloody Pyramid stage!

Love glasto, had another amazing year (as always!) love the secret sets, they add even more magic to the festival and completely understand why they need to be secret sets at the Park with the capacity up there... but on the Pyramid?!

Even the stewards on our family camp site didn't have a clue who it was going to be on Friday morning, ended up hearing them play 'Don't look Back into the Sun' moving towards the pyramid stage and seeing them leave the stage, unbelievable gutted!!! Felt quite cheated.

Don't own a smart phone and was in the Kidz Field all day with the little one, my mates missed it too.

Why did they do that? Bizarre. 

Well, i'm obviously different to others, as I knew, BUT, having said that, i heard several people talking about it, and all the people at the info tent at the Pyramid, were distributing the news like wildfire, 

Also the fact that they are an 'exclusive' to Reading and Leeds festival, in England, may suggest they weren't allowed to name them for contractual reasons!

Children are not known for leaving places quickly at short notice. Nor are they particularly fast to walk/carry.

You knew the start time though right?

I accept what you say to an extent. I've been taking my daughter to festivals since she was 4....you need to decide whether it's worth a chance and plan around it

You knew the start time though right?

I accept what you say to an extent. I've been taking my daughter to festivals since she was 4....you need to decide whether it's worth a chance and plan around it

I wasn't there.  I was responding on behalf of Collide, who was presumably not going to trawl his kid around the site on the off-chance that he might like the band.  I do take your point though, but if Collide had no idea it was the Libs, then I can imagine how it would be annoying.  I can see why he wouldn't have considered it - I was running the @SecretGlasto account and I didn't know until a few hours before.  I'd heard a LOT of different rumours, about a lot of bands, but it was very late on that the Libertines became the front runner (and eventually confirmed).  I certainly didn't think it was them when I woke up on Friday morning.

i didn't find out they played until saturday.  and i got spun a wonderful yarn about who it was, by a girl who, with hindsight, had believed what she had been told too.

turns out it wasn't an unknown punk band (explosive badge?), championed by Marc Riley, who had been given a friendly leg up.  despite what their alleged singer had told her the day before.

anyway, i don't care for the Libs, so i feel, if nowt else, i have come out of it all with a half decent anecdote.

I knew quite early, a friend of ours was receiving txts that a band going under "The Albion" were playing (a name the liberties have used before). But as everyone else has said, we all knew the slot was left as TBA some of us used our heads went round at the time and found out. Well done to Glastonbury to keeping it quite.  

I wasn't there. I was responding on behalf of Collide, who was presumably not going to trawl his kid around the site on the off-chance that he might like the band. I do take your point though, but if Collide had no idea it was the Libs, then I can imagine how it would be annoying. I can see why he wouldn't have considered it - I was running the @SecretGlasto account and I didn't know until a few hours before. I'd heard a LOT of different rumours, about a lot of bands, but it was very late on that the Libertines became the front runner (and eventually confirmed). I certainly didn't think it was them when I woke up on Friday morning.

I didn't know until they came on....just took a chance....and yes....dragged my daughter along too who didn't like them at all haha