Who were your top 5 of the weekend

dingbat2

Just thought I'd leave that there.

Come on, there is hyping a set up and then there is this lol. I'm not being funny but people don't leave a set early as it was all it should of been. I'm glad I didn't put any money on Big Sean mind you, a big Kanye set was never going to have him come out. Big Up the Lee Nelson though.

people were always going to leave early - it wasn't your typical band playing rock songs and so non-Kanye fans were always going to find reasons to nit pick at it. but for Kanye fans, i think it was outstanding. that setlist is the stuff dreams are made of for me personally. people are entitled to their own opinions and i get that it wasn't for everybody, but those people can go suck a lemon

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no real order

FFS - scandalously small crowd but they rocked it. Seeing Ron Mael do his solo dance was a moment I won't forget in a long time.

Mark Ronson - went with low expectations but he nailed it. Mesmerised by the twin trick cyclists with Kyle Falconer. Boy George's Do You Really Want To Hurt Me was a Glasto moment as was the superstar laden Uptown Funk.

Death Cab For Cutie - somehow this band have passed me by till now but was a perfect lying in the late evening sun moment.

Future Islands - love the album and this was a perfect time and location to hear it.

Frank Turner (Other) - discovered him at Leftfield in 2010. Love the way people who have never seen him before watch him and go "this is really good".

So many others nearly made the list but didn't see a bad act until.......after FFS went to see Grandmaster Flash. Huge crowd, playing some big tunes then....the computer goes. Gets going then five minutes later computer goes again. He keeps saying "stay with me" but the moment had gone. Thought the guy worked with two decks not a memory stick. Sad.....

Just thought I'd leave that there.

Come on, there is hyping a set up and then there is this lol. I'm not being funny but people don't leave a set early as it was all it should of been. I'm glad I didn't put any money on Big Sean mind you, a big Kanye set was never going to have him come out. Big Up the Lee Nelson though.

A hell of a lot of people left an already sparse who crowd though,doesn't make them bad artists

Edited by Adystar

The Libertines - Pete was fat and off the smack and they were the best they've been in years. Felt like a freebie as well (thanks efests and Stubert2hats)

Suede - I really wavered on my Saturday choice; could've been almost anywhere but Pyramid. Gutted to miss Mothership but Suede's set was one of the most joyous things I've ever seen at Pilton.

Grant Lee Phillips - I missed Patti for this so thank goodness it was wonderful. Both the other people there seemed to enjoy it too.

Stornoway - I love these guys and was terrified the rain would pack it out so ran to get there. The bigger crowd seemed completely bowled over. Truly a band that's still getting better and better.

Lionel Richie - Just for a minute I thought it wasn't working but eventually it was about as much fun as anyone could cope with. Sang, laughed and danced with my favourite people in my favourite place. We Are The World was a mistake at the end, mind.

Extra mentions: Ben Howard (sparse crowd, beautiful music, beautifully played); Mark Ronson (ran from the middle of The Libs to get back for Boy George, Valerie and a truly sensational Uptown Funk); Chronixx (Reggae to start the festival is always a winner and I loved this guy); Jane and Jayne (with a y) who were singing amazing songs about God and Jesus and stuff on the bandstand sometime before Stornoway were playing ("God doesn't want to be a pervert, God doesn't want to be aroused...)

Saw little I thought was truly poor, although I was left utterly cold by Everything Everything whilst everyone else thought it was amazing.

Edited by jimmyt

In random order

Vintage Trouble

All we are

Songhoy Blues, crow's nest

East India Youth

Patti Smith. Don't know her stuff really, but was blown away by the set and attitude.

But can I mention John Fairhurst, Super Furries and Sharon VE. I know, that's cheating.

Edited by carlosj

The Who

Patti Smith

Florence

Mark Ronson

Wilko Johnson (Williams green)

Also I think Kanye more than justified his place headlining the Glastonbury Festival of contemporary performing arts by producing a piece of performance art which challenged, divided and intrigued people. Would love it if the festival were to book a similar mix of headliners in future (1 newish artist being promoted like Florence. One bankable headliner who will play the hits like the who. One complete wildcard who will be a talking point)

Picking a top 5 is unfair on some others.

yep, I just thought of Hot Chip, that I segued from to Super Furries. Excellent. It was a 'never seen live' choice that took me to the Park.

people were always going to leave early - it wasn't your typical band playing rock songs and so non-Kanye fans were always going to find reasons to nit pick at it. but for Kanye fans, i think it was outstanding. that setlist is the stuff dreams are made of for me personally. people are entitled to their own opinions and i get that it wasn't for everybody, but those people can go suck a lemon

TELL 'EM!

Did you not come to the meet this year, or did I miss you?

The Who - Great finale

Patti Smith - so much passion

The Moody Blues - Great catalogue

Lionel Ritchie - totally polished and professional

Biggles Sunday Morning Service (Jock's Wedding) - tear jerking

Steve Knightley and Friends - Great audience rapport.

George Ezra - the boy's got a future.

Only walked away from one act - Florence.  Yes, she runs about a lot but....

TELL 'EM!

Did you not come to the meet this year, or did I miss you?

no i've not yet made it to the meet. i'm shy and nervous as hell around people i don't know so i'd probably just end up standing there all sheepish. maybe next year - i'll just get wrecked before i head over

no i've not yet made it to the meet. i'm shy and nervous as hell around people i don't know so i'd probably just end up standing there all sheepish. maybe next year - i'll just get wrecked before i head over

Don't worry, I am so socially awkward that people mostly can't understand the random sounds of me tripping over my tongue.  I went along and had a great time, despite not being one of the gregarious folk.

Kanye was awesome. There were just so many acts on point that he missed out on my top 5. Rewatching again, it could go back in there. All of the Lights on a crane, lost in the world with Justin Vernon, a perfect rendition of four five seconds. The set had everything, so I'm not sure what those who didn't enjoy it were expecting.