Early leavers

Jman2

Say you miss out next year, and someone that gets your ticket goes home on the Saturday because they don't like it, you wouldn't be annoyed you could be making better use of said ticket?

I could've gone had I wanted, So don't think I'm just being bitter about missing out.

No I wouldn't, at all. Such an odd outlook

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An odd outlook?  :sarcastic:

You not seeing people skipping whole days of a festival as a waste is an odd outlook.

It wouldn't bother either.. Plenty more important things in this life to get worked about other then someone leaving a festival early 

Edited by Rick182

this is the first time in years I haven't been to Glastonbury and after watching it on TV all weekend I've realised that the thing I miss the most is the first 3 days before all the music starts so losing the sunday isn't such a loss as you can be home in time to watch it on TV

I totally agree with this. I lost out in the ticket race this year. Watching music on TV has been fine but I felt the loss of those first few days the most.

Of course they are, but there's a whole day of the festival left yet.

There is, but its entirely up to them if they want to call it quits.

Last year I hit the wall about midday on Sunday and I left site about 3pm.   Most years I've tended to leave by 8pm in the evening on the sunday. I find the Monday morning hugely depressing and I kinda like that I leave the place still in full festival mode. 

The older you get the harder it gets, especially when you still like to party! The last couple I did I'd shot my bolt by Sunday and was ready for home, both times I was talked out of it and ended up having superb nights.

What some don't get is the mental and physical pressure you under when you hit the greatest party on the planet. If people want to leave on the Sunday that's up to them. Besides, look at the line up for today. Apart from Future Islands, the rest is seriously gash. Imo.

I don't know how old you are but I am guessing you are a silly little teenager with zero responsibilities...  In the grown up world some of us have jobs and childcare to worry about.  Lets talk more when you have moved at of your mums :)  Until then you can ask your mum about responsibilities :)

Lucky edit - I was just about to pull you up on that one. In the mean time do you think your over exposure to the Daily Hate has affected you in any way?

I guess from one angle it's possibly technically OK to leave early on a Sunday morning because only X amount of people are suppossed to be on site at that time anyway - that's licence speak that is.

To the others that have valiantly stayed behind and still intend to have another mad one tonight I salute you.

I don't know how old you are but I am guessing you are a silly little teenager with zero responsibilities...  In the grown up world some of us have jobs and childcare to worry about.  Lets talk more when you have moved at of your mums :)  Until then you can ask your mum about responsibilities :)

You'd be entirely wrong, Barry.

Is it really that hard to book the following Monday off of work? Not in my expirience. Planning something out ahead of time is usually a pretty smart move.

You'd be entirely wrong, Barry.

Is it really that hard to book the following Monday off of work? Not in my expirience. Planning something out ahead of time is usually a pretty smart move.

Teachers can't book time off in term time. That's the group I'm talking about.

I did that one Sunday evening a fair few years ago. Just before David Bowie took to the stage and, apparently, blew the place away. I'll never forgive myself for that one.

I probably should have said in recent years mainly. Someone mentioned about it being harder when you're older and maybe that's what I mean. As a teenager in the 90s no problem but since going again post 30 (didn't go between 2000-2010) I've always gone home on Sunday evening. However if there was a band that I'd want to see - like you mention Bowie - then I'd probably left right after.

I was gutted to get back home last year and find no Massive Attack stream.. Fortunate to have seen them a plenty doing locals gigs over the years.

Last year my wife was also nearly 8 months pregnant so having left her on Tuesday at 3am I kinda felt I needed to be back for her. This year ironically I'd have stayed to see the chemical brothers without any shadow of a doubt as they simply smashed it in 2011.. Sadly my weekend has involved smelly nappies and teething though.

I think the OP needs to remember there are some jobs where you have to be back on Monday - teaching for example.

Edited by tumbles

What the hell are you on about lol 

I read the bloody Guardian :)

Upside down?

Only joking - it was just that your post seemed a little bit over the top. For example why the use of the word silly? And little? And teenager? Oh and the rest of your post too for that matter?

That said, I think I know where you are coming from - despite the unecessary ageism kind of distorting things. :)

I probably should have said in recent years mainly. Someone mentioned about it being harder when you're older and maybe that's what I mean. As a teenager in the 90s no problem but since going again post 30 (didn't go between 2000-2010) I've always gone home on Sunday evening. However if there was a band that I'd want to see - like you mention Bowie - then I'd probably left right after.

I was gutted to get back home last year and find no Massive Attack stream.. Fortunate to have seen them a plenty doing locals gigs over the years.

Last year my wife was also nearly 8 months pregnant so having left her on Tuesday at 3am I kinda felt I needed to be back for her. This year ironically I'd have stayed to see the chemical brothers without any shadow of a doubt as they simply smashed it in 2011.. Sadly my weekend has involved smelly nappies and teething though.

I think the OP needs to remember there are some jobs where you have to be back on Monday - teaching for example.

If I were there now I'd be leaving at about 5am tomorrow. I don't indulge in alcohol on the Sunday as I have nearly always been the driver in the past. I'd love to really do the Sunday night with abandon though. I've never done it before and kind of wonder what kind of creatures I might find out there in the wee hours of Monday morning.

If I were there now I'd be leaving at about 5am tomorrow. I don't indulge in alcohol on the Sunday as I have nearly always been the driver in the past. I'd love to really do the Sunday night with abandon though. I've never done it before and kind of wonder what kind of creatures I might find out there in the wee hours of Monday morning.

It's also easy for me to say leave Sunday night, as it's less than a hour to Portishead. I always have packed up the tent and taken everything to the car first thing in the morning. Makes leaving a much simpler affair.

Just got home to Reading - sorry about that but, as others have mentioned, teachers can't book days off. I feel I thoroughly rinsed the fun out of my Glastonbury, it was a great year for me and far better the feeling I have now (elation and utter sadness that it's gone for another year) than the feeling getting up for work tomorrow if I'd stayed until the end and then come home.

I stayed until after Lionel, which was amazing (anyone know what the estimated crowd size was for that? Felt busier than Dolly), and left on a fabulous high in glorious sunshine. That's your Hollywood ending right there!

Am I gutted not to be there right now? Absolutely, but I will be in a month and in three months and on Christmas Day. Glastonbury gives me a brief few days of escapism from the real world but, sadly, I pay for that by living in the real world from the Monday after Glastonbury until the Friday (Thursday if I'm really lucky and I do extra things during the year for no other reward) evening of Glastonbury the next year.

I had a fabulous festival. If I'm lucky enough to get a ticket for next year, I'd love to be able to stay Sunday night but unless things change, I'll just be very grateful for every minute I am able to enjoy.

I got home an hour ago.  Usually stay the course but a mate was driving this year and wanted to get back early.  I have to say I was utterly knackered by the time Future Islands were on and agreed to skip Perfume Genius and head back.  Glad I'm home.  Was alright, saw some very good bands, met some great people, saw some shit bands, met some shit people.  Was it worth the money?  Probably not, but I'm glad I went. 

I left early. I hated leaving early but I have a flight to Spain that my parents booked. I have never left early before... Always Monday morning. I honestly felt like I was being judged walking out! Different people have different circumstances. The Glasto Spirit says we should feel sorry for those people leaving early... Not angry!

The Glasto Spirit says we should feel sorry for those people leaving early... Not angry!

I guess you are right there - all the years that I have been I've always felt sorry for those walking about fully laden with their kit obviously just having arrived on the Thursday night and even the Friday morning. It's just the same with those who have to leave early. Or simply want to leave early.