Kanye West

seumasbeathan

If Justin is flying across the world for 10 minutes on stage with Ye (presumably unpaid) in the run-up to Eaux-Clares and Bon Iver's return, I reckon it's a fair bet he's a little bit taken with the festival :)

He came on a did a song with Staves as well in the Park which was cool.

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience, those you liked Kanye previously enjoyed the show. Those who wanted him to fail miserably have turned into rabid Yeezy bashers and have lost all sense of rationality. I think in a weird way everyone has got what they wanted from it!

He was my most anticipated act of the weekend, love his albums, him being there was the driving force to get me to go to Glasto this year even though none of my friends were. He was shit. Completely phoned in performance that left me feeling absolutely gutted. Brilliant weekend but he was the low point of it. I so badly wanted him to be great and I though that he could want to be, but he clearly just didn't car.

If Justin is flying across the world for 10 minutes on stage with Ye (presumably unpaid) in the run-up to Eaux-Clares and Bon Iver's return, I reckon it's a fair bet he's a little bit taken with the festival :)

I did wonder if nobody else would be bothered about the Justin Vernon bit, I was the only one who properly lost their shit when Lost In The World begun, and the only one who appeared distraught when they fucked around a bit. Looking back on the set, I appreciate how much I loved it, but that bit really soured that moment of the set for me, I felt like he dangled it and dragged it away. To my shame, I have to admit that I was one of the boo-ers when he aborted the beginning of Touch The Sky, but I didn't dwell on that, because I had the biggest grin on my face when he appeared in the cherrypicker, he properly did me there. Checking my texts walking out to meet my group, I was replying to all the positive texts with "He fucked it right up with Justin Vernon, could've been so much better", then when I met my group and they all bitched about how they hated it, I realised I'd had a fucking wonderful time apart from that 10 minute segment.

He came on with The Staves as well to be fair but hopefully you're right. I thought he played the whole set though, was he just part of it for his songs then?

Which acts? At Glastonbury? I cannot remember ever seeing a headliner at Glastonbury restart a song.

The very least I expect of a Pyramid headliner is a slick, well-rehearsed, professional performance. There were cock-ups throughout Kanye's set. You could tell him and his team had not prepared properly. When he stopped Touch The Sky you could hear him say something along the lines of "That’s not what we rehearsed in the dressing room". In the dressing room - not weeks in advance, but backstage just before he started. No wonder it all went to shit.

Also: why were the lights one colour the whole way through? Did it not occur to him that that might be boring to watch?

Coldplay restarted a song last time they headlined

Coldplay restarted a song last time they headlined

Even so, a live band having to restart is much more understandable than 1 guy and a backing track. That aborted attempt at 'Hold My Liquor' was beyond humiliating even for an amateur act, let alone a pyramid headliner.

ultimately it was an opportunity for him to take (if he wanted to) to get some new fans, to try and change the minds of the haters, of the Glastonbury hardcore.  But he chose not to (as is his right) and it was a gig for the fan boys in general.

Those that like him, in general got what they wanted.

Those that hate him, had the hate fed.

First 1/2 hour was really good and the rest was crap. Pharrell showed him what he should have done

This. The half empty field got a whole lot emptier after that bit of poetry of whatever it was half way through.

I expected an amazing show and in my opinion it didnt come close to delivering.

Got front row for EZ because of that though, so cheers Kanye, you absolute melt.

Couple of question for you efesters; were you OK with the white-ass crowd screaming along the N-word, and did you join in? I was a bit uncomfortable and just missed it out of my screaming along, which prompted a black girl who had been stood right in front of me to notice what I was doing, she laughed at me between a song and told me that it was "so cute". Also, did anybody really expect the show to go any different than it did? Aside from the Justin Vernon surprise, it was pretty much the exact thing I had been expecting. I did think he would go easy on the Cruel Summer songs with it being a festival set, but 4 in a row, and no crowd interest was lost around me, people still shouting every word back to him, I was ready to paint that as a mistake and did think "this is a bad idea, Yeezy" at the intro to each one, then ended up loving it.

Ashamed to say I screamed it at the top of my voice every time. Only realised afterwards what a prat I'd been to do so. Same with Blurred Lines in Pharrell's set.

Even so, a live band having to restart is much more understandable than 1 guy and a backing track. That aborted attempt at 'Hold My Liquor' was beyond humiliating even for an amateur act, let alone a pyramid headliner.

This made me laugh, the whole it wasn't his fault that the track kicked in early, if he's that credible an artist surely he wouldn't need a BACKING track and can perform completely in the live? I know I give him some stick on here but WTF even is he lol. Flo for me was the most impressive headliner on main, The Who were great did well but it was FLo that had to up the game and own the spot.

Edited by thewayiam

I've never really been a fan but went to watch anyway. It was awful.

Sound was terrible where I was stood, nothing happened on stage, the crowd seemed bored and it looked as if thousands of people left just through the path where we were.

People at the front probably enjoyed it but don't think anyone can say that overall it was a great Glastonbury set. It didn't entertain enough of the people watching it.

Haven't read the entire thread, just the past two pages but just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

I chose to watch Kanye as he's not the usual act I'd go to see and as I'm not willing to pay all x amount of money to see his own shows, Glasto seemed to be the best place to catch him.

I've only ever heard a small handful of tracks too, so all his songs were pretty new to me other than the 'oh, I have heard this once or twice on the radio many years ago' kind of feeling. 

Putting aside his arrogance, I thought the crowd was really fun and everyone around me (dead centre, about 20m back from the sound towers) was constantly dancing. 

However, his lyrics prove that he's a misogynist, a homophobe and many more negative things I don't actually know the term for. I just felt uncomfortable throughout and within an hour really wished I'd gone to Arcadia instead. 

I tried to change this though by finding entertainment in his idiocy - 'I'm the greatest living rock star on the planet' did make me giggle a fair bit. And the whole crane thing. Need I say more? :P 

I cringe every time somebody mentions the white guys with guitars thing. Like somehow race is the issue? The issue is he's an egotistical dick who is fucking shit. The people moaning would be more than happy with a black artist if they were good.

Really? There is a definite undercurrent of thought that a rapper shouldn't headline the pyramid. Same with Jay Z. But with Kanye West another stick is used to beat him with - he's egotistical, he's a nob etc.

I didn't mention it was a racist thing - I'm sure it isn't. I was just alluding to the type of bands that headline the pyramid all the time. its good for them to try different things

People that are egotistical twats play all the time without the same sort of backlash. Looking at your username, then Liam Gallagher for instance is one I could mention. If we went down the line-up and stopped people playing on the basis of judging their personal morals or actions then we wouldn't have a festival.

If the race thing isn't an issue, why would Oasis be the most popular booking they could make, with their universe-sized egos? Why is Liam or Noel branded a "legend" everytime they throw lazily a banal stock insult at some celebrity, but Kanye does something, outrageous, amusing, entertaining, or something that actually means something, he's a nob? I think if Kanye was the frontman of a rock band, people would love and accept him, it's the hip-hop element that means the po-faced NME readers can't swallow what he says because they don't respect rap, and that is the racial element.

For reasons I still can't quite fathom I saw kanye west, by the sound stage in amongst the yoof, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Everyone around me was really going for it which helped a lot.

I thought the low lights and just him on stage was the best possible way for him to go about it. I thought it was a brilliant visual effect, it really appealed to me. No messing about with pointless live bands or any crap like that to appease the crowd.

I only knew one song, the very first one, and while I wont be going out and buying any of his records, I didn't mind what I was hearing.

Overall it was miles and miles better than the awful jay z gig from the other year and I'm glad I went.

Edited by russycarps

Left after a few songs, but that was mainly to do with where we were standing. I couldn't see or hear much at all.

Reactions from our group were mixed, but none of them hated it. I'm baffled by the crane thing though. When he initially started touch the sky, did he just forget that he'd hired a great big fuck off crane to perform it on?

For reasons I still can't quite fathom I saw kanye west, by the sound stage in amongst the yoof, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Everyone around me was really going for it which helped a lot.

I thought the low lights and just him on stage was the best possible way for him to go about it. I thought it was a brilliant visual effect, it really appealed to me. No messing about with pointless live bands or any crap like that to appease the crowd.

I only knew one song, the very first one, and while I wont be going out and buying any of his records, I didn't mind what I was hearing.

Overall it was miles and miles better than the awful jay z gig from the other year and I'm glad I went.

BLOODY HELL!

This is unexpected. Not the "Russy accidentally ends up at a popular artist he didn't want to see", because you seem to have a knack for that, but you enjoying it. To tell the truth, I was sort of looking forward to a hilarious diatribe about how much of a fist you thought he was, but I will take this. If ever again I doubt whether it really was good, now I know, Russy said it was good, I am right.

Left after a few songs, but that was mainly to do with where we were standing. I couldn't see or hear much at all.

Reactions from our group were mixed, but none of them hated it. I'm baffled by the crane thing though. When he initially started touch the sky, did he just forget that he'd hired a great big fuck off crane to perform it on?

No, I think he was goading us into thinking he had fucked off so we'd boo him, then feel like lemons. It fucking worked.

I thought that it was a deliberate thing to make people think he was walking off stage/having a rant and then reappearing in the crane to make the crowd go wild.

We didn't hear him say "yo start it how it was in the dressing room" until we watched it back so, only hearing the vocals stop and then eventually the backing track, we thought he was mimicking Dave Grohl's leg break. Would have been an amazing banter.