Stornoway

ImGonnaLive4eva

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had forgotten the park and the other stage performance! Bristol was just fantastic! I agree so many to fit in a small amount of time! The acoustic versions were breath taking! I hope all the other venues were as honoured as bristol to have them play! Enjoy every moment if you havent seen them yet! 

57 minutes ago, Jugtanion said:

Off to Shepperds Bush Empire later, already have a weird mix of excitement and sorrow that it'll be the last time.

I really thought it would be a bit sad, and at first I was a bit preoccupied by thinking 'why on earth are you packing this in?.

by the end , i just enjoyed it so much, i kind of just forgot that was the end of it all, if that makes sense. :D

Don't shoot me, guys, as I've already waxed lyrically about how fabulous Bristol was, and how I, like @ClementsMike just couldn't understand how they could bear not to be doing this anymore.

But...

...aside from one single change about 3 or 4 dates into the tour, their setlist has been exactly the same every night. No great issue, except that it's their final tour and they have such an astonishing back catalogue of brilliant songs that it seems such a shame. Obviously it's tied into limited rehearsal time to get enough songs up to performance scratch, and I'd probably only moan when seeing that they played this song or that song and I didn't get either! But I still wish they'd gone out with a bang, playing as many of them as possible.

They're victims of their own extraordinarily consistent songwriting quality...

Ben

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Don't shoot me, guys, as I've already waxed lyrically about how fabulous Bristol was, and how I, like @ClementsMike just couldn't understand how they could bear not to be doing this anymore.

Not sure it's a case that they couldn't bear to do it anymore, I just think that's the decision they've made. Plus they said at Bristol that they have young kids now, so a more settled life would mean they'd get to see them grow up more than a life on the road in a band would.

If you haven't seen it already the statement they wrote when they announced the final tour is still on their website. I guess, like The Maccabees, when you're in a band with the same people from a pretty young age you're bound to go in different directions eventually. It's nice they can call it a day whilst they're still mates. Not all bands can say that.

Just now, big__phil said:

Not sure it's a case that they couldn't bear to do it anymore, I just think that's the decision they've made. Plus they said at Bristol that they have young kids now, so a more settled life would mean they'd get to see them grow up more than a life on the road in a band would.

If you haven't seen it already the statement they wrote when they announced the final tour is still on their website. I guess, like The Maccabees, when you're in a band with the same people from a pretty young age you're bound to go in different directions eventually. It's nice they can call it a day whilst they're still mates. Not all bands can say that.

You didn't read my post properly with it's bamboozling double negative grammar, you boob!

I said that I couldn't understand how they could bear not not do it, not that they couldn't bear to do it!!

I have no doubt that their prioritisation of family life, plus not quite reaching enough commercial success to make it 'easy' has created a no brainer.

What I meant was that seeing them up on stage, performing with such brilliance and joy, it's surely gonna hurt when they're not doing it anymore.

Ben
x

Just now, bennyhana22 said:

You didn't read my post properly with it's bamboozling double negative grammar, you boob!

I said that I couldn't understand how they could bear not not do it, not that they couldn't bear to do it!!

I have no doubt that their prioritisation of family life, plus not quite reaching enough commercial success to make it 'easy' has created a no brainer.

What I meant was that seeing them up on stage, performing with such brilliance and joy, it's surely gonna hurt when they're not doing it anymore.

Ben
x

F'sake. My brain is in full Friday mode. Sorry!

You could be right, but when they look back I think they'll know it's the right decision. The last two albums didn't sell as well as the first, and I would expect that the crowd sizes they are playing to at the moment will be as big as they'd get. If I'm being honest, I probably wouldn't have gone if it wasn't the farewell tour (although I had seem them before).

10 years (or so), three albums, and many great gigs.

6 minutes ago, big__phil said:

F'sake. My brain is in full Friday mode. Sorry!

You could be right, but when they look back I think they'll know it's the right decision. The last two albums didn't sell as well as the first, and I would expect that the crowd sizes they are playing to at the moment will be as big as they'd get. If I'm being honest, I probably wouldn't have gone if it wasn't the farewell tour (although I had seem them before).

10 years (or so), three albums, and many great gigs.

You're spot on. It's just, as I've said before, such a shame that such talented bands wither on the vine, whilst dross makes hay in the sunshine...

:blink:

Ben

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

You're spot on. It's just, as I've said before, such a shame that such talented bands wither on the vine, whilst dross makes hay in the sunshine...

:blink:

Ben

The sad way of the world - that said, it's great that the Stornoway boys are moving on to other things they're passionate about. Isn't it Bryan Briggs who's going on to run an RSPB reserve in South Wales?

8 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

But...

...aside from one single change about 3 or 4 dates into the tour, their setlist has been exactly the same every night. No great issue, except that it's their final tour and they have such an astonishing back catalogue of brilliant songs that it seems such a shame. Obviously it's tied into limited rehearsal time to get enough songs up to performance scratch, and I'd probably only moan when seeing that they played this song or that song and I didn't get either! But I still wish they'd gone out with a bang, playing as many of them as possible.

They're victims of their own extraordinarily consistent songwriting quality...

Ben

I know what you mean - although I definitely would have been sad if I'd found out they'd played my favourites on other nights and I hadn't heard them.

I was lucky that they played 4/5 of the songs I wanted to hear.  Also I had forgotten how good a few others (that they played) sounded.

I loved how during the unplugged bits the crowd were so quiet and listening intently.   There was generally less singing along too so we were really able to listen, magical.

25 minutes ago, Miesh said:

I know what you mean - although I definitely would have been sad if I'd found out they'd played my favourites on other nights and I hadn't heard them.

I was lucky that they played 4/5 of the songs I wanted to hear.  Also I had forgotten how good a few others (that they played) sounded.

I loved how during the unplugged bits the crowd were so quiet and listening intently.   There was generally less singing along too so we were really able to listen, magical.

I second that about the crowd. It was really magical getting lost in the music.

I do find in recent times, people just chat during the songs they don't like. Which is really really annoying!

14 hours ago, Miesh said:

Of last night's gig, this was the standout for me, on a pretty amazing evening. Hearing the Get Low and Josephine arrangements, with the crowd absolutely pin-drop quiet could, come the end of the year, be my gig moment of the year. Just mesmeric. There was a good covering of tracks from all 3 albums and was a testament to the body of work they've produced over 10 or so years that there were a few tunes I was desperate to hear (We Were Giants being one), but alas, the evening had to end some time.

We chatted briefly to the dad of one of the band members (didn't find out which) on the street outside the o2 afterward, he was very emotional - must be proud that his son brought together all those people for such a positive and love-filled commonality.