Stornoway

ImGonnaLive4eva

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen a bit of the avalon set a few years ago and got bored after a few songs ,left the tent for a smoke and a few whiskies bumped into a couple of Irish blokes who noticed my pogues shirt ,got chatting and drinking and talking about the Pogues ended up singing Pogues songs for rest of the stornoway set not a bad night in the end

Adding my tuppence to this, Stornoway were the soundtrack to a new job for me in 2010. Fuel Up and Coldharbour Road alone deserve a mention, but much of what they did resonates with me. Saw them twice st Glastonbury and once at Bristol academy and they were always up in the clouds with any other band who loved playing to their audience. The track 'We Were Giants' sounded different when I learned of this sad news this week. :(

Oh, and go see them live if you get the chance, because they are fabulous!

Edited by Jugtanion

1 hour ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Sad news. And such a pity that their last 'home' gig is in Oxford's New Theatre. Seated. Rubbish. Should have been the Town Hall.

The single reason why I chose to go to Bristol instead on 28 Feb. Three tickets bought for a fab, small standing venue. Like the music gods intended.

:)

Ben

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

To be fair, they did pretty well to have lasted so long. 

Any other band would have all spontaneously combusted out of shame about 10 seconds after recording the opening verse of Zorbing.

You need more innocent joy in your life, Calgon. A bit less Rebus...!**

Ben

**I bloody love Rebus...

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

To be fair, they did pretty well to have lasted so long. 

Any other band would have all spontaneously combusted out of shame about 10 seconds after recording the opening verse of Zorbing.

I once said something similar to one of the band's representatives when the band were just starting to make an impact, while he made big claims for their future.

Turns out one of us was right. :P

edit: I didn't actually know he was a representative of the band at the time I started slagging them off, tho if I'd stopped and thought about it I'd have probably realised.

Edited by eFestivals

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

Seems having rich parents and a private school education is no guarantee of longevity. Such a terrible shame.

I fear for Noah and the whale, mumford & sons and all the rest of these brave bands who have had everything handed to them on a plate.

Yes  the death of "history of art rock" is such a terrible shame.

Edited by alrapp

• 4 months later...
22 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

Saw stornoway at the colston hall last night absolutely incredible took me right back to the acoustic stage in 2015! Am going to miss them! 

Mrs oneeye and me are off to see them at Exeter Phoenix tomorrow night :)

5 hours ago, funkychick2007 said:

Saw stornoway at the colston hall last night absolutely incredible took me right back to the acoustic stage in 2015! Am going to miss them! 

Yes, I went too. Great gig and a real shame they are splitting. First saw them the the Park in '10. :)

9 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

@bennyhana22 how were Stornaway ? 

Oh man, they were great, FF! The only 'bad' thing was that they now have such an amazing back catalogue that there were so many fantastic songs that we DIDN'T get!

Highlight was the most phenomenal rendition of 'Get Low'. As I rule, a really don't like stripped down acoustic versions of songs, but this was amazing. The arrangement of the four part vocal harmony coupled with very light acoustic instrumentation drew the biggest, loudest, longest cheer of what was a genuinely euphoric night, tinged with the sadness that we knew this was the last time we would see them. I turned to my pal after that song and we were both entirely confused as to how these amazing musicians could bear NOT to do this anymore. Stornoway will remain the epitome of the incredible bands who just can't quite make the numbers add up to keep going, whilst countless talentless idiots garner popularity and riches peddling utter garbage! Long live real musical talent. 

Ben

I was there too! @bennyhana22 has put it better than I could, so I won't go into it much further. It's great they could go out on a 'farewell' tour, and properly soak in the reception they got. I think at least one of them is staying in the music industry, so hopefully we see some of them again (albeit it in a different guise) in the future.

Just now, big__phil said:

I was there too! @bennyhana22 has put it better than I could, so I won't go into it much further. It's great they could go out on a 'farewell' tour, and properly soak in the reception they got. I think at least one of them is staying in the music industry, so hopefully we see some of them again (albeit it in a different guise) in the future.

Gah.

We could have said hi to one another, Felipe!

It was a joyous night that just got happier and happier as it went on. Crowd was fantastic and the band clearly and genuinely touched at the affection in which they are held. Smiles all 'round.

Ben