Blasphemy

ColdSideofthePillow

If that's your real name and telephone number then I advise you to also seek the attention of those professionals in attendance in the Medical Tent. Only joking - that's big hairy bollocks putting your phone number out there - you are likely to get the likes of me phoning you up all the time now!

Aye it is, I was quite pissed but fuck it. Got some fantastic texts as a result, I've been accused of all sorts!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate, do you have your phone on you? Give me a text. I've pm'd you my number. Let's have a chat and a pint. If I shift my tent slightly and yours is small, you can camp with me if you like. I'm next to a lovely community of young greens just up from where you are at Pennards. They'll give you a hug, a shoulder to cry on and a cup of tea.

This place is huge. It can be overwhelming and all a 'bit much'. So much hype, so much expectation on yourself to enjoy it. It's ok that you're not but don't resign yourself to that.

If you're not inclined to do any of the above, please take yourself to the healing fields. There are some lovely, lovely people you can talk to there. They'll listen, they'll understand and they'll help.

If all else fails, get yourself a few drinks and instead of pressuring yourself to enjoy everything, go and be sad up at Green Futures where there's a lovely gently acoustic sound flowing all afternoon.

Also, come to the meet if you feel up to it.

It'll be alright, mate. Go easy on yourself and try to relax.

holy shit man. Let me know what festivals you're doing next year so I can come join you or something. You sound fucking amazing. 

This is what Glastonbury is about. Sorry you didn't manage the whole thing Cold Side, but you did well sticking it out! I've had times where I wanted to give up, so I know how you felt, although I can't imagine getting through it alone

Nice one to Kali as well, legend

Just reading this has me made me teary. My first time and started off on my own (kids joined me sat), and I had couple of what am I doing here moments. Seemed to be wandering aimlessly while everyone else seemed to have a purpose.

Felt quite lonely and thought won't be doing this again. See groups of people sharing laughter and having a blast.

Managed to get myself into baggy mondays through a crush of people and managed to let go a bit and party.

Friday was easier as the day was planned,

Then saturday kids came and whilst I saw less bands I experienced things I wouldn't have.

I was staying at worthy view so that was nice to get away from it all at the end of the day.

I'm sorry things didn't work out for you coldside.

Coldside, glad to hear things turned out relatively alright in the end, but sucks you didn't get to experience the whole thing. Maybe next year when you know the beast you're up against. I have to confess that I treated my body very very poorly on Thursday and Friday, sleep deprived myself throughout the whole thing, didn't take enough fucking toilet paper. After a brilliant Friday, I woke up on Saturday a bad tempered mess, isolated myself from the group for most of the last 2 days, loved a lot of the bands I saw, but knew I'd fucked it and wasn't it a fit state to be there. For the first time, I felt ready to leave when I did, which was depressing in itself. Moral of the story is that you can end up not having the best time sometimes, even though you have that great setting, there's a lot of risks, if you're not fighting fit then it can get the better of you. We all love Glastonbury on this board, but every one of us has felt fucking miserable there at some point. But if it's your thing, you've learned a lesson, it comes round once a year, so you can go at it again next time and feel safer in the knowledge that you know what you're getting yourself in for. Well done for owning up on here, I've not let on to anybody about my bad experiences of Saturday and Sunday because I felt I shouldn't be negative while there and I would be bringing everybody down, it's OK and more common than you thing for this to happen.

Kalifire, you're a legend, no more needs to be said.

Massive kudos Kali. Chapeau sir.

Sorry it didn't work out Coldside, but good work on sticking with it to see how you got on. You probably did the right thing, as sunstrike, sunburn and anxiety attacks aren't a great combo! See how you feel when Oct comes round, and I'm pretty sure there's loads of people on the boards who'd happily shuffle along and make space around the campfire for an extra tent if you fancy it.

Mate, do you have your phone on you? Give me a text. I've pm'd you my number. Let's have a chat and a pint. If I shift my tent slightly and yours is small, you can camp with me if you like. I'm next to a lovely community of young greens just up from where you are at Pennards. They'll give you a hug, a shoulder to cry on and a cup of tea.

This place is huge. It can be overwhelming and all a 'bit much'. So much hype, so much expectation on yourself to enjoy it. It's ok that you're not but don't resign yourself to that.

If you're not inclined to do any of the above, please take yourself to the healing fields. There are some lovely, lovely people you can talk to there. They'll listen, they'll understand and they'll help.

If all else fails, get yourself a few drinks and instead of pressuring yourself to enjoy everything, go and be sad up at Green Futures where there's a lovely gently acoustic sound flowing all afternoon.

Also, come to the meet if you feel up to it.

It'll be alright, mate. Go easy on yourself and try to relax.

If I'd seen this before, I'd have bought you a pint.. Great chat

Diabetes can be really unstable during a change of setting or routine, and sugar levels can fluctuate dangerously when a diabetic is exposed to even minor physiological changes. I am not surprised you felt so awful and panicky.

I'd say it'd be wise for anyone with diabetes to go to Glastonbury with someone, before attempting it alone.

Hopefully there'll be a mate to go with next year, or if not, link up with some other solo fliers on here.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, haven't been around on the forum since my infamous short lived glastonbury experience of 2015.

Thanks to all those who commented and offered assistance and to kalifire who single handedly restored my faith in humanity.

Since then I've got my self engaged and have at least the possibility of getting the missus and a few friends to come with me as I am gonna give glastonbury another go potentially in 2017.

With the benefit of hindsight I know where I went wrong and what id do differently and am genuinely looking forward to the festival next year.

3 hours ago, ColdSideofthePillow said:

Hey guys, haven't been around on the forum since my infamous short lived glastonbury experience of 2015.

Thanks to all those who commented and offered assistance and to kalifire who single handedly restored my faith in humanity.

Since then I've got my self engaged and have at least the possibility of getting the missus and a few friends to come with me as I am gonna give glastonbury another go potentially in 2017.

With the benefit of hindsight I know where I went wrong and what id do differently and am genuinely looking forward to the festival next year.

Congratulations, my friend. If you do come next year, your first beer is on me (tickets permitting!) :) 

Wow!

is it dusty in here...

I was having a sulk last year after failing to get a ticket and was having a hiatus from these boards so this thread completely passed me by. Congrats for giving it a go anyway and sticking it out as long as you did and well done to Kali and all that offered help to Coldside, the kind of spirit that truly makes Glastonbury special.

Coldside, glad you're not going to let the experience stop you from having another go. I hope you get your ticket in October.

...just after I get mine of course!:)

any advice or help with the diabetes give me a shout , next year will hopefully be my 4th with type 1 and 14th overall , It makes it a bit more challenging but is still well and truely do able :) I also had a thread on here a few years back so might be worth tacking that one down , Alex

On 8/29/2016 at 4:55 AM, ColdSideofthePillow said:

Huzzah!  And congratulations :)

On 29/08/2016 at 1:55 PM, ColdSideofthePillow said:

Congratulations! Great to see you back, and really pleased things have taken a good turn for you.

Fingers crossed you get your tickets and we can finally share that pint :)

On 30/06/2015 at 8:39 AM, slash's hat said:

Just reading this has me made me teary. My first time and started off on my own (kids joined me sat), and I had couple of what am I doing here moments. Seemed to be wandering aimlessly while everyone else seemed to have a purpose.

Felt quite lonely and thought won't be doing this again. See groups of people sharing laughter and having a blast.

i feel like that all the time and even when i have a mission i seem to wander aimessly lol ....glastos one of those places ....[ well it is for me ] when im there i dont do all i should and when its over all i want is to go and do everything AGAIN ....[ there i said it ]

It's great that life seems to be going well for you ColdSide... And congrats on making that decision to give it another go. Glastonbury can be terrifying and overwhelmingly 'too much'! I've witnessed a lot of people having panick attacks and crumbling around me. Most people will do their upmost to help you but if you're not feeling it you're not feeling it. I'm glad you have company for next year with people that understand what you may go through. I do hope it is a massively different experience for you. Let us know how it goes. Hope to meet you at the efests meet... If we all get on site on time this year!