Spare Ticket

upupandaway

Hi all. First time on here, so be gentle ;)

A mate and I bought tickets to Glastonbury this year (I was lead booker). Unfortunately my friend is otherwise occupied and won't be able to make it, therefore I have his ticket and wanted to give it to my brother.

I know theres all sorts of issues around this, 1. different names, 2. they don't look anything like each other (and the photo can't be changed).

Meant to be getting the tickets on the bus to the festival and don't want him travelling if theres absolutely no chance of getting the ticket or ultimately getting in.

Is there anything we can do? Are they really that strict to reject him entry if I were to explain the situation?

Cheers guys!

Ive never been to glasto on a coach but did go on one to Reading once years ago and pretty sure ticket was in an envelope when handed out - so you wont be checked on the coach (but might be wrong here, as I said, not done it for glasto) 

Unfortunately you are unlikely to get in on someone else's ticket if you don't look alike - I accept that in this case it's a genuine ticket to be reused, but if they started getting lax then it opens up to touts again which is what the system is meant to prevent. Obviously, those on the gate are individuals and you might get lucky - but it wouldn't be until you're on site and there's no guarantees and they have every right to refuse you entry.

Shouldn't be any issues on the coach, my friend wangled getting in on someone else's ticket a few yrs ago. He looked nothing like him either. Girl on wristband exchange just laughed and fit his band. (Most staff are only there for free entree themselves) At the end of the day it's stopped touting and that's all Eavis is bothered about. Two of our party this year can't make it either due to a funeral on Friday. So the tickets have been passed onto two others prepared to drive 200mi to take the risk.

Shouldn't be any issues on the coach, my friend wangled getting in on someone else's ticket a few yrs ago. He looked nothing like him either. Girl on wristband exchange just laughed and fit his band. (Most staff are only there for free entree themselves) At the end of the day it's stopped touting and that's all Eavis is bothered about. Two of our party this year can't make it either due to a funeral on Friday. So the tickets have been passed onto two others prepared to drive 200mi to take the risk.

I know at least two people that have tried (and failed) getting in on someone else's ticket. One looked like the ticket pic, the other nothing at all. 6 hour trip back up north for them.

If you want to try it, maybe take the ticket holder's driving license too or something? Unless you look NOTHING alike, in which case, chance it but don't be too disappointed if you get knocked back? Seems like a waste of a ticket though!

We've got two in our party who can't come and literally can't give their tickets away because of the gate chew.....

• 4 weeks later...

The greater number of stories that appear about people getting in on others' tickets, the more chance there is of touts starting up again. 

I am old enough to remember that in the early 80's jokers would dress up as Security and then demand sight of the tickets from drivers as they were in the queue - they would take the tickets ' to be inspected ' and that was the last time they were seen again by the driver - they would hand over the stolen tickets to mates who would sell them further down the line !!

its a easy scam to pull off as people just assume they were genuine security.

One year they asked me and I told them to get stuffed and warned other drivers not to fall for it.

The more people who get in the more likely the scam will start up again.

Managed to get him in... not without some hassle though! Initially got refused entry, but managed to sort it out thanks to some very helpful other members of staff!

I met 2 glum looking ladies sat outside their campervan which parked close to us and got chatting. Turned out their boyfriends had been taken to the police station offsite after having tried to enter the festival with tickets they had bought off friends who had assured them "they don't check"!  Firstly they were taken to the hut on the Hill of Death who then got the police involved - no idea why.

They had received a call from their boyfriends to say they were being returned to the site but had had the tickets confiscated. 

This resulted in all 4 packing up and leaving the festival. An expensive experience and not one I would like to risk! Especially as you need to go in and out of the campervan fields daily and show your ticket. :(

No way would mu missus have left the festival for me! She'd have waved me off to Castle Cary train station with a "see you in 5  days."

And rightly so! I did ask why they didn't stay and let the boys go home but they said the whole weekend was already spoiled and they wouldn't enjoy themselves..... I doubt they will ever return as they felt the festival had let them down by sticking to the rules.

Hopefully they will see that pictures were introduced to stop touting and realise the person they need to blame is the so called mate who sold the tickets! 

And rightly so! I did ask why they didn't stay and let the boys go home but they said the whole weekend was already spoiled and they wouldn't enjoy themselves..... I doubt they will ever return as they felt the festival had let them down by sticking to the rules.

Hopefully they will see that pictures were introduced to stop touting and realise the person they need to blame is the so called mate who sold the tickets!

The festival didn't let them down, they took a risk and it lost......When backin the late 9's and early 00's when people were buying tickets and selling them for £000's it wasn't fair on anyone else.....

I am old enough to remember that in the early 80's jokers would dress up as Security and then demand sight of the tickets from drivers as they were in the queue - they would take the tickets ' to be inspected ' and that was the last time they were seen again by the driver - they would hand over the stolen tickets to mates who would sell them further down the line !!

its a easy scam to pull off as people just assume they were genuine security.

One year they asked me and I told them to get stuffed and warned other drivers not to fall for it.

The more people who get in the more likely the scam will start up again.

Not just in the 80's. This year there was a lad who dressed as security and was asking to see peoples wrist bands and cutting them off. No idea why someone would let that happen but I guess if you look official maybe.