Scottish Notes?

willsnewman

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are vendors at Glastonbury with accepting Scottish notes? I have quite a lot of cash but don't want to turn up with it only for it to not be accepted...

Like everywhere, I've had questions asked off people who are monumentally stupid and don't know what "scottish money" is, you won't have any problems

Like everywhere, I've had questions asked off people who are monumentally stupid and don't know what "scottish money" is, you won't have any problems

care to say what's "monumentally stupid" about refusing to accept not-legal-tender?

I prefer to use money which people cannot in law refuse to accept, rather than a bit of paper which may or may not be accepted for the goods I wish to buy.

Money that isn't money is worthless.

I've been knocked back a few times from food stalls before. Going to the bank today to take out English money over the counter. You can change it if you want too.

Pain in the posterior but I can't be bothered with the arguments this year.

care to say what's "monumentally stupid" about refusing to accept not-legal-tender?

I prefer to use money which people cannot in law refuse to accept, rather than a bit of paper which may or may not be accepted for the goods I wish to buy.

But yeah basically anyone who doesn't accept Scottish notes in England as they are not legal tender (but are accepted currency) is a bellend.

There's forever this argument that scottish notes aren't legal tender, whether people are going to accept them or not, they are legal currency, any banks will take them, they are sterling, same as northern irish bank notes, so nowhere should reject them

I've never had any problems with it anyway

But yeah basically anyone who doesn't accept Scottish notes in England as they are not legal tender (but are accepted currency) is a bellend.

I won't accept them because others won't accept them when i'm trying to spend them.

There's nothing bellend-ish in knowing that the note in your pocket might be useless when you try to spend it.

I carry notes in my pocket which I know with 100% certainty will *always* be accepted.

Why punch yourself in the face when you don't have to? If you have legal tender you get all the benefits of legal tender. :)

…" "The acceptability of any means of payment, including banknotes, is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved." (Law) yes there is a possibility of refusing Scottish notes but any trader can refuse any note by my understanding and are under no legal obligation to accept it.

There's forever this argument that scottish notes aren't legal tender, whether people are going to accept them or not, they are legal currency, any banks will take them, they are sterling, same as northern irish bank notes, so nowhere should reject them

I've never had any problems with it anyway

I've had them refused or questioned enough times to know it's just not worth the hassle.

If all you have in your pocket is a Scottish tenner and the place you're trying to spend it won't accept it you're fucked.

If you never accept a Scottish tenner you''ll never find yourself in that situation.

So i make life easy for myself and never accept a Scottish tenner.

I'm actually quite amused that anyone does accept them, even in Scotland. You're entitled in *EVERY* situation to 'real' notes so why ever allow yourself to get palmed off with 'fake' ones?

(yes, I know they're not 'fake', but they're also not spendable everywhere ... you might as well carry Euros to get the same effect).

…" "The acceptability of any means of payment, including banknotes, is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved." (Law) yes there is a possibility of refusing Scottish notes but any trader can refuse any note by my understanding and are under no legal obligation to accept it.

Not true.

Legal tender means that a person CANNOT refuse it as means of payment.

I've had them refused or questioned enough times to know it's just not worth the hassle.

If all you have in your pocket is a Scottish tenner and the place you're trying to spend it won't accept it you're fucked.

If you never accept a Scottish tenner you''ll never find yourself in that situation.

So i make life easy for myself and never accept a Scottish tenner.

I'm actually quite amused that anyone does accept them, even in Scotland. You're entitled in *EVERY* situation to 'real' notes so why ever allow yourself to get palmed off with 'fake' ones?

(yes, I know they're not 'fake', but they're also not spendable everywhere ... you might as well carry Euros to get the same effect).

That is the only reason I've ever had for being rejected with scottish money, is that they have no means of telling if it's fake or not, I live in Scotland but I mostly work in England, and I don't differ what money I have in my pocket in accordance, the North of England especially you should never have a problem with Scottish money, nor should you in the South, but some people are an exception to the rule Edited by Mezhyp1

That is the only reason I've ever had for being rejected with scottish money, is that they have no means of telling if it's fake or not, I live in Scotland but I mostly work in England, and I don't differ what money I have in my pocket in accordance, the North of England especially you should never have a problem with Scottish money, nor should you in the South, but some people are an exception to the rule

the fact this thread exists in the first place is a recognition that they're not always spendable in England, and the fact that they're not always spendable in England makes it daft to accept them in England.

The Association of Commercial Banknote Issuers states: "The term 'legal tender' has very little practical meaning as far as ordinary, everyday transactions are concerned, and it has no bearing on the acceptability of authorised banknotes as a means of payment …" Crucially, it adds: "The acceptability of any means of payment, including banknotes, is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved."interesting about legal tender and where we stand by law.

the fact this thread exists in the first place is a recognition that they're not always spendable in England, and the fact that they're not always spendable in England makes it daft to accept them in England.

Admittedly I was bullish in my first statement, through experience though it's something that I've only once or twice, in a lot of years, experienced a problem with, and never at glastonbury, or any other festivals for that matter

willsnewman was asking if he/she will be fine with scottish money, which I have absolutely no doubt he/she will be

The Association of Commercial Banknote Issuers states: "The term 'legal tender' has very little practical meaning as far as ordinary, everyday transactions are concerned, and it has no bearing on the acceptability of authorised banknotes as a means of payment …" Crucially, it adds: "The acceptability of any means of payment, including banknotes, is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved."interesting about legal tender and where we stand by law.

so what you're saying is that the people who came up with the scam of fake banknotes say their scam is good and everyone should be mug enough to let them run their scam. :lol:

About The Association of Commercial Banknote Issuers

Originally known as the Scottish & Northern Ireland Banknotes Technical Standards Board, the Association of Commercial Banknote Issuers ....