wweerr208

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More seriously...

I did Google it.

Wweerr208 I'm sorry if you or someone you know had a bad experience. But this is not "seriously big killer disease". Infection rates are very low. Early stages are easy to treat.

Let's not panic, eh?

I can already see the Daily Mail headlines...

normal infection issues are around deer or sheep areas,

panic?? not really!! just asking. it's not something to be ignored. I go camping a lot and will generaly avoid lyme disease areas. or at least take preventavily measures

I'm not saying glasto is a a high risk area, but 'im asking' is it ?????

More seriously...

I did Google it.

Wweerr208 I'm sorry if you or someone you know had a bad experience. But this is not "seriously big killer disease". Infection rates are very low. Early stages are easy to treat.

Let's not panic, eh?

Edited by wweerr208

Does anyone know if lymes disease exist around the area???

(google it if you've never heard of it.. seriously big killer disease)

Not that I know of and there's very very little long foliage for the buggers to hide in.

It's not a disease to be too casual about - yes it's easily treatable in the early stages but if those early stages look/seem like a lot of other diseases and are easily dismissed. Infection rates are low because not many people do the activities that get you exposed - once you narrow it down then the incidence rate rises rapidly.

Lymes is spread by ticks, usually on deer and sheep. They hide in bracken and other foliage then crawl into your clothes, find a bit of soft skin and get sucking

That in itself causes no problems, it's once they suck blood that they swell up and getting rubbed off by clothes or poor removal can result in them vomiting some of that back into your bloodstream complete with the lyme disease bug

You can remove them with correct tweezers (not normal flat ones as that squeezes them) and some swear by putting a drop of veg oil on them as that chokes them so they pull out and move, but not toxic oils as that too could make them vom

Telltale is a bullseye rash, but might be hidden on your back/etc so worth checking each other over if you find a tick

Not directly related to the original question, but last year my youngest son somehow managed to get a tick on his eyelid! Because of where it was and the potential for serious damage should there be any complications , he had to have it cut out by an eye doctor. Not pleasant. He also showed early signs of lymes disease (unusual rash around the bite location, high temperature) so was prescribed antibiotics to nip that in the bud. Horrible creatures, and a horrible disease to have - can get real nasty if left untreated

This is worrying gone mad!

It's not a concern at glasto - too little long foliage, fence up for ages and so so many people - not worth a thought

My days clearing and restoring country estates... very much a concern. Found three of the buggers, one had had a good suck too

But yea, not giving it a thought at the festival. Wash your hands, don't rely on alcohol gel, and the five second rule does not apply

thanks frostypaw,

I've not worried about them at glasto in the past

but the thought about lymmes came last year - saw a few of them in my tent

It's not a concern at glasto - too little long foliage, fence up for ages and so so many people - not worth a thought

My days clearing and restoring country estates... very much a concern. Found three of the buggers, one had had a good suck too

But yea, not giving it a thought at the festival. Wash your hands, don't rely on alcohol gel, and the five second rule does not apply