Stage capacities?

ogriff

Sunday afternoon crowds always, without fail, 'look' bigger than headliner crowds because of the number of picnic blankets, chairs and loungers brought in by the local day-trippers. I don't think there were many people stretched out on the floor for the Stones, but there were thousands for Dolly.

I think your bang on with that, the size of the crowd is a combination of how far back and to the side the crowd get and how densely packed they are in the middle/front. Although we got quite close for the Stones, you simply couldn't move in any direction it was that rammed. With Dolly I suspect there was a more space between people especially tin the middle/back for you to move about more, especially taking into account the chair and rug brigade. That was really noticeable for Paul Simon a few years back, it seemed absolutely rammed towards the back but there were loads of chairs and rugs in front of us. Although it looked rammed it probably wasn't, it just looked that way from where you are looking i.e.. low down

I was in a similar position for both at the front, and I'd say Dolly's felt slightly more crushed at times but I couldn't comment on how far it went back. 

Drinky has it spot on though, there were chairs in the section in front of the safety barriers FFS. For that reason, I imagine the Stones had more.