If the festival had to move locations would you still go?

Cooter

Michaels been on the news this morning mentioning the possibility of moving the whole festival to pastures new, or maybe tarmacs new! I can understand, to a point, why he's concerned because a lot of the land used for the festival isn't actually owned by him and there's no guarantee it'll be available to be used year in year out. Also, the festival has grown at a fantastic pace over the last 20 years, it can't go on growing in it's present location. But, surely Michael hasn't forgotten the whole concept and meaning of the festival is because of where it is, isn't it?

For me personally I think a different location would well and truly end my future Glasto days for good. I've been going 25 yearsish so I've had my fairshare of the farm/s. I'd say as much as 75% of the whole experience for me is its location and everything it stands for and everything it means to me and everyone else. If anything, I'd think I'd still visit the farm and take a walk around the fields now and then but go to the festival somewhere else, I think it's a no from me.

Edited by Cooter

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great question. After yesterdays weather updates I would certainly go if they moved to the South of France or somewhere similarly sunny.

Joking aside though, I am in agreement. The festival and the location are intrinsically linked in my opinion so it wouldn't be the same elsewhere. Festivals are the "in thing" at the moment though, so maybe a couple of years could see a scaling back in the operation and a long life expectancy on Worthy Farm.

Michaels been on the news this morning mentioning the possibility of moving the whole festival to pastures new, or maybe tarmacs new! I can understand, to a point, why he's concerned because a lot of the land used for the festival isn't actually owned by him and there's no guarantee it'll be available to be used year in year out. .

The real issue here is that each year those landowners screw ever-more out of Michael for the use of their land.

I know there's been at least one big issue around this year - which I guess is what has prompted those comments from Michael - and it's probably the case that his words are more designed to give those people a warning not to bite off the hand that's feeding them, whilst I also know that discussions have been had about other sites (tho probably more to do with trying to find out the possibilities, rather than with the absolute purpose of following thru).

There's also the issue of what happens with the farm when Michael pops his clogs. Michael has a number of children, so there's no guarantee that Emily will be in control of the farm to be able to continue the festival there.

I think a lot of people would give it up if it moved. The magicalness of that valley could not be replicated anywhere.

Never thought about Micheal's other children as emily has always been the face of the future. Do they play any part in the festival now?

Never thought about Micheal's other children as emily has always been the face of the future. Do they play any part in the festival now?

I've got a bit lost of the years over what name is what relationship to Michael, but as far as I can remember there's some with some involvement (tho not all of them), tho with a much more minor role. If my memory isn't playing tricks, one of his sons is in charge of programmes and t-shirts.

I would stop going I think if it moved. The location makes the place unique which is why I love going. Would be a shame to see it moved but if he is getting rinsed for the land then I could see why he would have to.

Edited by mungo57

Wouldn't it be an even bigger undertaking to host it somewhere else ?

yep, but I'd guess without some of the hassles they're having at the moment with other landowners. If a new site was in the control of just one person, that would make everything about that new site much easier to manage.

However, there's probably not too many bits of land around which are big enough to encompass everything (including car parks) and under just one owner, and then on top of that the land would have to be remote enough to not annoy too many people whilst also having reasonable transport links and not being so remote (such as the highlands of Scotland, say) that it put off a big part of the clientèle.

I would be very sad if it moved. I would go to where-ever it ended up out of curiosity and to see if I liked it. It just wouldn't be Glastonbury Festival though would it. It's location in Pilton is a huge part of what makes it what it is. 

All.good things come too a end. If it was not local, would it even be bold enough too call itself 'glastonbury Festival' if ot wasn't close by?

Personally, if and when it did move, I would not go. I would sit and watch the reaction of such move in the weeks after on here.

Edited by Swine_Glasto2014

I probably wouldn't go either, it would feel like a different festival. Would they try to recreate areas like Kings Meadow? It would feel weird

I hope neighbouring landowners aren't treating the festival like a cash cow (sorry pun not intended!) They really just ought to be compensated for any loss if earnings, it's not as if they actually have to do anything

The location is a huge part of it, can't imagine the festival without the railway track, the stone circle, muddy lane, the dragon, the list goes on. Moving it would make it something very different. Think it would be the end for me going also, sad to say

Edited by Greenelk

It's hard to imagine, but it depends on the new location. It's not as if I've never gone to any other festivals. It'd be another festival run by the same organisers.

Let's put it another way, if GFL announced that there was a new festival being put on in a new location during the next fallow year, would that be more tempting than all the other festies that year? I'd rather go to that than Latitude, Bestival, V or Leeds/Reading.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

If it came to it, I rather they scaled it down rather than moved it. I think it's become a victim of its own success lately, with the massive headliners and the ever increasing ticket numbers. I think when it comes the time, they should shrink the site, halve the number of tickets, book smaller acts and concentrate more on the eclectic cabaret stuff

Without a doubt I would continue to go, it is the ethos, the people and the variety that makes the festival as much as the location.

I think, tho, that the ethos would change somewhat, as it would cease to be "a farmer having a festival on his land" and become more of a purely-financial venture.

It manages to not be that purely commercial thing at the moment, and that follows thru to those who work there. As soon as there's the impression that someone is getting paid full-whack everyone else will start to want the same.

Probably not is the answer.  If you were to try and uproot it and host it elsewhere I am certain it would just be a sort of theme park version of what it once was, rather than the real deal.

+1 for downscaling btw.  This arms race for big acts is just pointless and is attracting people who just want to tick a box.

I think, tho, that the ethos would change somewhat, as it would cease to be "a farmer having a festival on his land" and become more of a purely-financial venture.

It manages to not be that purely commercial thing at the moment, and that follows thru to those who work there. As soon as there's the impression that someone is getting paid full-whack everyone else will start to want the same.

The first part will happen anyway as soon as Michael pops his clogs. Whether that will turn it into a purely financial venture is another thing. The charity aspect seems more important to me than the location in distinguishing Glastonbury from all the 'commercial' festivals.