Sub to be added?

Matt42

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need a good old fashioned classic Madchester band for a quality singalong and the Phonics fit the bill.

The Charlatans it is then.

Johnny Marr is in Hyde Park Friday.

He needs to get his priorities right.

The thing with bumping up Flo is that Glastonbury are not going to want a sub to overshadow her. Someone like James with 30 years worth of sing along anthems and a charismatic frontman who knows how to entertain would make Flo seem a little dull straight after (Saying that as someone who quite likes Flo)

So much Snobbery on here haha. It seems if a band doesnt use synths, autotune, Animals making noises. Some sort of weird trip hop/jazz funk project. They are deemed boring or "MOR"

Not really. Personally I love straight guitar bands. Just not dead boring ones that you'd generally hear on commercial top 40 radio. And no, not because they appeal to the masses -- just because I find that it generally means they're boring and unchallenging. There are obviously exceptions to this (ie. Arctic Monkeys, the Strokes etc) - high quality acts that you'd see on Pitchfork (bunch of w*nkers, mind) as well as hear heavily played on Radio 1.

Stereophonics are a V Festival band. End of. And yes, I mean that as an insult.

The thing with bumping up Flo is that Glastonbury are not going to want a sub to overshadow her. Someone like James with 30 years worth of sing along anthems and a charismatic frontman who knows how to entertain would make Flo seem a little dull straight after (Saying that as someone who quite likes Flo)

Maybe it's my age but I know.... 1 James song.

Do James have a boat load of "sing along anthems" I don't know about or do they just play an hour long rendition of Sit Down?

I'm not particularly a fan of either James or Flo, nor do I dislike any of them.

But in what world would James overshadow Florence? Really?

I'd bet plenty of money on people knowing more Florence songs than James songs.

Edited by Sketchead

Not really. Personally I love straight guitar bands. Just not dead boring ones that you'd generally hear on commercial top 40 radio. And no, not because they appeal to the masses -- just because I find that it generally means they're boring and unchallenging. There are obviously exceptions to this (ie. Arctic Monkeys, the Strokes etc) - high quality acts that you'd see on Pitchfork (bunch of w*nkers, mind) as well as hear heavily played on Radio 1.

Ah damn it. He send end of. He must be right,

People over a certain age and/or from Manchester seem to think they're big. I'm 25 and, like you, could only name one song.

Thing is I'm a fan of and listen to plenty of bands that were "before my time" so to speak but I've never thought or been told in my life "listen to James' back catalogue" and then I come on here and people are like BOOK JAMES.

I just thought they were basically a one hit wonder like Mike and the Mechanics and that band Brain Cox was in.

Purely on the basis that they were the foos main support act for Wembley, so are now obviously free for a few weeks... Royal Blood?

Sure it's a higher slot than they would have got if they were booked in there own right but I reckon they would smash it.

I'd be happy with that.

Keep reading on here of Royal Blood being a festival exclusive for Reading and Leeds.

I know little of the music industry so someone correct me if I'm wrong. But surely they'd love the chance to play as many of the festivals as possible? It would increase record sales, make them more money and increase their popularity no doubt.

I realise Reading/Leeds would part with money to get the 'exclusive' righst etc but surely this doesn't outweigh the revenue and enjoyment from Glastonbury and a few other festivals?

Fair point man, I like the Phonics as there first few albums were great and they could easily fill a 15 song setlist with songs that a lot of people know. Albeit they have declined in recent years, i also havent seen them yet so im biased! Im not sure The Phonics eben get any radio 1 air play anymore, more radio 2. They still have a big fan base, but not winning over any new fans.

and yea pitchfork are arseholes. they absolutley hate Oasis haha.