Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Wales European championship quarter finalists, didn't think I would ever hear those words. Didn't play well, but I don't really care.

Congrats pt :-) 

Delighted for you. Watched it down the pub. Wales seemed to be getting the most support. That bit of quality from bale with the cross. Felt for the boy but unplayable cross.

Enjoy your night! 

To quote a man on twitter...

England squad costs 175m. If we exit, let's spend it on the NHS

and there's more...

England happy to allow free movement of Icelandic people, it seems.

Edited by LJS

Just now, pink_triangle said:

Terrible analysis from itv pundits with the usual talk about lack of effort, players being too pumped up singing the national anthem etc. Also from memory no praise for Iceland, great achievement for a nation with population 300k .

disrespect for Iceland was appalling - comparing them to USA 1950.

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Terrible analysis from itv pundits with the usual talk about lack of effort, players being too pumped up singing the national anthem etc. Also from memory no praise for Iceland, great achievement for a nation with population 300k .

I particularly enjoyed the debate around who should be in goal for the quarters......... 

On 10/06/2016 at 4:24 PM, eFestivals said:

So anyway... predictions...?

Winners: Germany
Runners up: Spain
glorious semi-final losers: France.
glorious round of 16 losers: England

I can see definitely-satisfactory for all of Wales, NI & Ire, with at least one of them doing well. Which one? Depends how the luck rolls.

I got that bit right, anyway. ;)

Big Sam. Long ball football. Defensive solidity. Pure physicality.

We need to accept that we are not as technically gifted as we think. We are never going to out pass any top teams in the world, Wouldn't even have outpassed a bunch of 10 year olds last night.

Edited by mjsell

13 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Big Sam. Long ball football. Defensive solidity. Pure physicality.

We need to accept that we are not as technically gifted as we think. We are never going to out pass any top teams in the world, Wouldn't even have outpassed a bunch of 10 year olds last night.

I was thinking last night that, despite having four years with the players, we still shat ourselves when we were pressed by Iceland. That to me suggests go down a different route, like a Big Sam or whatever. Deadly serious.

In all truthfulness, new manager will be Southgate.

29 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Wow. Our reaction to being years behind our European neighbours is to go even further back in time to the Jurassic era? 

Nuts. 

You act as if football has a clear linear line of progression that has to be adhered to in order to succeed. That just isnt the case. Teams can win things not playing the recognised footballing trend of the time. Greece Euro 2004, Chelsea Champions league 2012, Leicester 2016 to name 3 examples off the top of my head. 

I understand that huge elements of luck have to go your way and these will only ever be one off tournament wins, but they are possible by taking a different approach to the game.

What you are looking for is England to become (or at least compete long term with) a dominant team of a generation like Spain had been, and Germany are attempting to be now. And I agree this should always be the long term aspirations of England, but this needs a complete overhaul of the coaching/grass roots systems in place and we have been saying this for years.

Why not for the immediate future mix it up from the same stale approach we have had for the past god knows how long.

8 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Why not for the immediate future mix it up from the same stale approach we have had for the past god knows how long.

Same stale approach? You act as though for the last 20 years England have had a string of managers all in the same mould. Nothing could be further from the truth. 

We've had the 'inspirational' type in Venables and Keegan. We've tried the foreign approach in Sven and Fabio. We've gone with the coach in McLaren, we've tried the tactical nous of Hoddle. Finally we've tried the fuck knows what with Hodgson. 

If Allardyce is the answer you're asking the wrong question. 

On 6/28/2016 at 9:31 AM, mjsell said:

Might help if we played players, in the position they play in all season too :P