Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, eFestivals said:

maybe its Klopp that's gonna get him to sort his shit out?

I'm interested enough to see how that goes to hope you're right in some ways .. tho I think Mario's had more chances than he deserves.

Could be. Either way should be entertaining.

10 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

To replace him with barry for fuck's sake. 

No wonder he was adamant he was off the following year. 

Barry was a fantastic player. He got a load of stick when he was rushed back from Injury and he had a poor game v Germany in the world cup. Unfortunately he was made a bit of a scapegoat over that. He has been a top class player all his career and deserves far more credit than he gets.

He was not as good a footballer as Alonso, but he was far better defensively. Barry would have worked really well alongside Gerrard and I can understand why Liverpool wanted him. It should have been to compliment Alonso though, not at the expense of him.

Anyway Liverpool's loss was certainly City's gain.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

maybe its Klopp that's gonna get him to sort his shit out?

I'm interested enough to see how that goes to hope you're right in some ways .. tho I think Mario's had more chances than he deserves.

Mario was really good for us and I will always have a soft spot for him. It is a shame as he does have all the attributes to be top class, yet something seems to hold him back. I hope he does not waste his ability.

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

Barry was a fantastic player. He got a load of stick when he was rushed back from Injury and he had a poor game v Germany in the world cup. Unfortunately he was made a bit of a scapegoat over that. He has been a top class player all his career and deserves far more credit than he gets.

He was a very good, dependable top half premiership player. I would say fantastic is stretching it a little.

Just now, pink_triangle said:

He was a very good, dependable top half premiership player. I would say fantastic is stretching it a little.

I liked him mate and thought he was really good. Top player for us and for Villa. Even my Everton supporting mates have been impressed by him, and thats been in the twilight of his career. The dependable bit you are correct with, he was a 7 out of 10 player every week. He enabled the more expansive players to flourish, yet he was more than just a blocker. He has a delightful left foot and his reading of the game was absolutely superb. He lacked pace, yet because of his intelligence on the pitch he very rarely got caught out. 

I thought he was fantastic and do not think he gets the credit he deserves.

Quote from FA chief executive about scrapping FA Cup quarter final replays.

FA chief executive Martin Glenn said the change "adds excitement".

How exactly??

"While fully respecting tradition and history, this new development will help the cup retain its status as a much-loved and world-renowned competition"

How exactly??

the decision was part of its "ongoing review" of the competition and helped to "ease English football's congested fixture schedule".

I would be interested to see statistics showing how many additional games an average premiership league team has played because of quarter final replays in the last 10 years, the effect it will have on fixture congestion is minimal. Unless they are opening the door with the view to scrapping them in earlier rounds. Of course the FA would never screw the little clubs to look after the big ones!

9 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Of course the FA would never screw the little clubs to look after the big ones!

Not having replays is ridiculous. If they want to ensure less games, then they should reduce the number of teams in the top flight to 18. 

However, it's interesting to link losing replays with looking after the big clubs. Scrapping replays is advantageous to smaller clubs in terms of changes of progression. 

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Not having replays is ridiculous. If they want to ensure less games, then they should reduce the number of teams in the top flight to 18. 

However, it's interesting to link losing replays with looking after the big clubs. Scrapping replays is advantageous to smaller clubs in terms of changes of progression. 

The fixture congestion argument is rubbish unless this is phase one of eliminating them elsewhere.

From the lower league perspective the replays are valuable as they offer a big pay day particularly if the home leg is first. I agree it slightly hinders progression, but the big boys usually win in extra time or penalties.

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

From the lower league perspective the replays are valuable as they offer a big pay day particularly if the home leg is first. I agree it slightly hinders progression, but the big boys usually win in extra time or penalties.

The pay day is potentially bigger from the next round match than any replay

The pay day is potentially bigger from the next round match than any replay

Potentially bigger and potentially worse. My view is the smalkers clubs would lose out as the extra amount progressing wouldn't make up for the lost revenue for the teams drawing. 

As Wrexham showed against Arrys West Ham many years ago,there's no reason lower league teams can't have the best of both worlds with the replay and the win!

10 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Potentially bigger and potentially worse. My view is the smalkers clubs would lose out as the extra amount progressing wouldn't make up for the lost revenue for the teams drawing. 

As Wrexham showed against Arrys West Ham many years ago,there's no reason lower league teams can't have the best of both worlds with the replay and the win!

I think you're very wrong - but I can't be arsed to analyse the last 20 years worth of results to check. So I'll agree to disagree. 

Though, I suspect we both agree the change is a crap one. 

I went to both games. Wrexham were the better team in both of them - at the time there were lots of protests against the board going on and relegation was odds on. That Wrexham game actually marked the bottom and started the upward curve. 

Rio came back from a loan spell at Bournemouth and got his first run in the side, and out of no where the board found money to buy Hartson, Kitson, and Lomas.  Went from bottom to finish 14th, and next season up to 8th. 

There was a pitch invasion that day too, with lots of scarves swapped and not a half and half one in sight...

I went to both games. Wrexham were the better team in both of them - at the time there were lots of protests against the board going on and relegation was odds on. That Wrexham game actually marked the bottom and started the upward curve. 

The opposite effect for us, we got to the quarter finals and its mainly been downhill since then!

21 hours ago, The Nal said:

He played 51 games last season. Scored 50 goals. 

Also played every game for Sweden with a 1 goal per game ratio.

Nearly 60 games last season. Hes one of the best players in the world.

As the man himself said he's just warming up 

On 26 May 2016 at 9:56 PM, eastynh said:

He was not as good a footballer as Alonso, but he was far better defensively. Barry would have worked really well alongside Gerrard and I can understand why Liverpool wanted him. It should have been to compliment Alonso though, not at the expense of him.

We had Mascherano to do that. 

13 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

As a Wales fan that wasn't fun watching. Pity to see Real Madrid win the thing again.  Typical egomaniac Ronaldo putting himself in a position for the glory.  I was hoping it would bite him on the backside leaving himself to 5th as it has in the past!

Yeah couldn't agree more, the decision to go 5th typifies in a very small instance why I'm never going to fully see him as the 'greatest footballer' (of all time or currently). I know selfishness is an attribute at the very top level for scoring goals (which he is unrivalled at) but I think it may well also be a big reason he has only ever won 1 la liga title in 7 seasons at Madrid.