Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

There is not evidence for this I am presuming....

No evidence for any of this. From anywhere. Havent seen a quote from anyone involved about anything. 

No biggie though if they didnt tell him. Its a tough sport like that. Can be ruthless at times. 

Id be surprised though. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm convinced it will have been known to Louis that it was CL football or bust - and with the money he's spend then that's fair enough.

So I'm sure he knew this was coming once City got the point they needed against Swansea. 

An FA cup isn't enough to save his job, given the fact that Wigan won it and then we're relegated in the same season a few years back. 

Louis seems like a great guy and a real character, but it makes total sense to get Jose in whilst he's available. We need anything for a 'quick fix' title challenge again. 3 years can quickly become 27 if big decisions aren't made along the way, for the good of the club. 

25 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Worst England player against Turkey? Was Sterling wasn't it...

I'd say Wilshere, and that's tough for me to say. Sterling wasn't much better though. I also thought rose and walker weren't as good as commentators were making out, feel like the defensive frailties came through them and less through Stones and Cahill. 

53 minutes ago, st dan said:

I'm convinced it will have been known to Louis that it was CL football or bust - and with the money he's spend then that's fair enough.

I'd imagine that clause is in his contract. It was in Moyes' so why wouldn't it be in LVGs? If there was no FA Cup Final this news would've broke last week. 

14 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I'd imagine that clause is in his contract. It was in Moyes' so why wouldn't it be in LVGs? If there was no FA Cup Final this news would've broke last week. 

Absolutely. If anything, we've been very kind on Louis by letting him see it out to the end of the season, and seemingly end his managerial career on a high point of winning a trophy ... After the career he has had it is what he deserves. 

I can't have seen many clubs the size of United sticking by a manger that was doing so badly, especially around the December/New Year mark, when I think we went 9 games without a win was it?

He should have gone then but we stuck by him. If we'd have got Jose back in January, then I think we could have still seriously challenged for the league this season. 

23 minutes ago, st dan said:

He should have gone then but we stuck by him. If we'd have got Jose back in January, then I think we could have still seriously challenged for the league this season. 

And the grand national.

Let's not forget his last team was close to the relegation zone when he got sacked. With a far better squad than he will inherit at Utd, united fans think all he needs to turn up to win the title.

It's Jose's most difficult job in his career.

Edited by thetime

28 minutes ago, st dan said:

Absolutely. If anything, we've been very kind on Louis by letting him see it out to the end of the season, and seemingly end his managerial career on a high point of winning a trophy ... After the career he has had it is what he deserves. 

I can't have seen many clubs the size of United sticking by a manger that was doing so badly, especially around the December/New Year mark, when I think we went 9 games without a win was it?

Utd didnt stick by him for any other reasons thern it would have cost them a bit if they got rid of him and Champions League was still mathematically possible. They were hardly being kind to him. They were being calculated.

The idea that Jose waltzing in at Xmas after what he just experienced at Chelsea and has Utd challenging for the league come the end of the season if fanciful and near delusional. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Utd didnt stick by him for any other reasons thern it would have cost them a bit if they got rid of him and Champions League was still mathematically possible. They were hardly being kind to him. They were being calculated.

The idea that Jose waltzing in at Xmas after what he just experienced at Chelsea and has Utd challenging for the league come the end of the season if fanciful and near delusional. :lol: 

It would have cost what, £7.5m (maximum), to sack him mid season and pay him off for a year and half. That's nothing to a club with the finances like United. So if they wanted to get rid, then they could have done, it won't have been the money stopping that. Much more likely is Ed Woodward's ego, and him admitting that both his choices of managers had been failures. He allowed him time to turn it around, which ultimately never came. 

And on 28th December, we were 9 points off Arsenal at the top of the league. If Jose came in with money to spend in January, then I'm certain we would have got too 4. Maybe challenging is a bit of a stretch, but he's hardly working with a terrible squad, even in its current state. If Leciesters squad can win it, then certainly the current crop at OT are more than capable. 

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

It would have cost what, £7.5m (maximum), to sack him mid season and pay him off for a year and half. That's nothing to a club with the finances like United. So if they wanted to get rid, then they could have done, it won't have been the money stopping that. Much more likely is Ed Woodward's ego, and him admitting that both his choices of managers had been failures. He allowed him time to turn it around, which ultimately never came. 

And on 28th December, we were 9 points off Arsenal at the top of the league. If Jose came in with money to spend in January, then I'm certain we would have got too 4. Maybe challenging is a bit of a stretch, but he's hardly working with a terrible squad, even in its current state. If Leciesters squad can win it, then certainly the current crop at OT are more than capable. 

Perhaps Jose couldn't manage in England until the next season, contract stipulation pay off from Chelsea.

There are many problems at united, it doesn't end by just changing manager. UNited fans think it will all be OK now with Jose, what if he fails? Where do they go then? 

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

Perhaps Jose couldn't manage in England until the next season, contract stipulation pay off from Chelsea.

There are many problems at united, it doesn't end by just changing manager. UNited fans think it will all be OK now with Jose, what if he fails? Where do they go then? 

That's a possibility yeah, I suppose we'll never know. Either way, I'm just glad Louis has gone. The match day atmosphere this season has been utterly woeful, and it was pretty obvious that a change was needed. 

With Pep, Klopp and Conte now in charge of our biggest rivals, it was paramount that we employed a manager of that calibre. And undoubtably Jose is. He's far from perfect, both as a manager and as a person, but he's a winner and will improve us from the lows of the Moyes/LvG era. 

Will it work? Who knows. But I'm a lot more confident going into the season with him in charge. He is generally spot on in the transfer market also - which is vital given the money we've seemingly wasted in the past few windows. 

I suppose the ideal, and probable, scenario is that Jose is in charge for 3 years - we challenge and maybe win a title in his spell, but he leaves it in a healthy position for the next man - which is likely Giggs if he gets a job elsewhere and does well. 

Jose is the only man for the job right now - a feeling that the majority of United fans share.  

50 minutes ago, thetime said:

Course its possible he fails. But what are the other options? Keep Van Gaal?

So Ibra is defo gone from PSG. Could be a serious bit of ego at OT next season. :lol:

39 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Benitez ? :D

Hes probably next on the list if Jose doesn't happen. Theres no one else available!

I love the way that following a football club sees that person surrender all sense and reasoning :D

Yep. Out the window! But after two years of Fellaini up front talk of Mourinho and Zlatan will do that. 

Edited by The Nal

sacked ... by the self-proclaimed spacial club that doesn't do that sort of thing. :lol:

It's funny, tho it would have been funnier if he'd stayed.

Mind you, now we have the comedy of the same people who've called Moaniho a disease having to laud him. :P

Not everyone, tho.... I know some Chelsea fans who stopped their interest in Chelsea when the Moan came back, and I've seen some comments from Utd fans saying they're going to give up footie for a while too.

24 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

sacked ... by the self-proclaimed spacial club that doesn't do that sort of thing. :lol:

Only if the greatest manager of all time is there!

Wilf McGuinness - Sacked after 18 months. 

Frank O'Farrell - Sacked after 18 months. 

Tommy Docherty - Sacked after 5 years.

Dave Sexton - Sacked after 4 years.

Big Racist Ron - Sacked after 5 years.

Then Fergie 

Moyes - Sacked after 9 months.

LVG - Sacked after 22 months

Apart from Busby and Fergie all the managers since WW2 have been sacked.

It's funny, tho it would have been funnier if he'd stayed.

Mind you, now we have the comedy of the same people who've called Moaniho a disease having to laud him. :P

Not everyone, tho.... I know some Chelsea fans who stopped their interest in Chelsea when the Moan came back, and I've seen some comments from Utd fans saying they're going to give up footie for a while too.

Very good chance he'll just do a Mourinho on it. Decent first season, great 2nd season and then a complete meltdown.

Utd fans won't be moaning if Old Trafford becomes a fortress again and hes challenging for the league though.

As for the shite footie, people didn't see him at Porto, Real or Inter obviously. Genuine worry regarding the young players though. No idea whats going to happen there.

Edited by The Nal

Why do people insist on relating 'good football' to only goals scored. Yes there obviously is a link but there have been many enjoyable teams to watch that didn't ever score freely. There is an art in defensive football, just look at Leicester since the turn of the year, I don't think they have been boring. 

Mourinho is a top manager, in my opinion better than guardiola (but I'm willing to have that opinion changed over the coming months/years). I'm just interested to see if mourinho can build a dynasty at a club - United would be the place for it. 

Edited by mjsell

9 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Ah Moyes has pulled out of the running for the villa job, sounds like he bottled it. Thing is what other jobs are out there David? Going abroad again?

I'd say it sounds like the new owner probably isn't living up to his own self-publicity.

There's no point taking a dog of a job if the new owner is aiming to pocket the relegation money. ;)

15 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Mourinho is a top manager, in my opinion better than guardiola (but I'm willing to have that opinion changed over the coming months/years). I'm just interested to see if mourinho can build a dynasty at a club - United would be the place for it. 

When he was after the job pre Moyes, he said he was looking to come back to England "to stay" or "for good" which pointed to the above. Lets hope he can. Theres no tyrant on the Utd board like Abramovich, Perez or Moratti. Jose could handle Ed Woodward easily which is a good thing.