Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I know there's a few of you that like your stats on here...what do we think of this England squad...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/18804/10276980/england-euro-2016-squad-according-to-the-stats

I'd be pretty happy with that - precisely because it's attempting to use unbiased measures rather than the face fitting to select them.

But you only like it cos Noble got in there., :P

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

That suggests he has a clue when talking about other teams!

If Wales take 8 defenders he will probably be the last choice, so championship level is fine with me.

I agree, he's useless at his job.

43 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Lots of hope there in terms of good players staying, and expecting consistency from Shelvey seems optimistic. In terms of "New Player", Aarons would surely start in the Championship if we keep him?

I'd rate Darlow over Elliot. Nowt wrong with Elliot, as a backup Prem/Championship player, but Darlow looks more promising.

May well end up playing that Ivan Toney kid we signed last summer a fair bit as well.

I'd like to see Aarons at left midfield.

Isn't Aarons contract up? Not sure if there is an option of extending in there for us. The problem with him is his fitness.Same with Mbabu, who has also looked promising. I'm not fussed who starts in goal out of our keepers. 

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd be pretty happy with that - precisely because it's attempting to use unbiased measures rather than the face fitting to select them.

But you only like it cos Noble got in there., :P

Wrong, I think it's bollocks. 

2 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Wrong, I think it's bollocks. 

Why? What do you think is wildly wrong?

I think most of those players would be in most people's squads (tho not necessarily rated in the same order), and while other players could be suggested instead it's mostly a matter of tastes.

Just now, kaosmark2 said:

It's the defense I take least issue with, only really Kyle Walker. Further forward it advocates Liverpool sicknotes like Sturridge, Lallana, Henderson. I wouldn't take any of them.

Lallana hasn't been a sicknote, has he? :unsure:

I can't say Lallana has jumped out at me as impressive, but others who might go in his place (say: Ox) are much the same, and it's largely personal preference.

And I agree, i';m not sure Henderson has been playing enough to go, but the justifications it gives for both him and Sturridge in the words are both pretty impressive (particularly Sturridge, still not fully fit after injury). I'd definitely take Sturridge with Vardy and Kane.

What's people's thoughts on taking Carroll as a different option on the bench? I know he hasn't really earned it with being out for so long, but I would seriously consider it. He is a beast in the air. I don't think he will go mind.

5 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

What's people's thoughts on taking Carroll as a different option on the bench? I know he hasn't really earned it with being out for so long, but I would seriously consider it. He is a beast in the air. I don't think he will go mind.

Surely, if Lallana shouldn't go because he's a sicknote, then Carroll is definitely ruled out...? :P

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Surely, if Lallana shouldn't go because he's a sicknote, then Carroll is definitely ruled out...? :P

Lallana would be going for me. I would also take Sturridge. Hodgson seems to have made it clear that Wilshire will be going, so I don't think he's bothered about it when it comes to his favourites. 

1 hour ago, Alan_C said:

Isn't Aarons contract up? Not sure if there is an option of extending in there for us. The problem with him is his fitness.Same with Mbabu, who has also looked promising. I'm not fussed who starts in goal out of our keepers. 

I think it is actually and i think he (his agent) is being awkward.

If Wilshere goes then every other central midfielder who gets over-looked should be disgusted. No way should ANY player who has played six minutes of football all season even begin to be considered for a major tournament squad. 

Edited by Andre91

Oh go on then, while you're discussing the england squad... Here's my two cents:

Hart, Heaton, Forster

Bertrand, Cahill, Clyne, Rose, Smalling, Stones, Walker

Alli, Barkley, Dier, Drinkwater, Lallana, Milner, Noble, Wilshere

Carroll, Kane, Rooney, Sterling, Vardy

Reserves: Jagielka, Cresswell, Delph, Townsend, Walcott, Sturridge.

My only concern is the slight lack of width, so I would understand one of Townsend or Walcott making the squad - shame there's no Welbeck in that sense. 

Edited by mjsell

12 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

It's the defense I take least issue with, only really Kyle Walker. Further forward it advocates Liverpool sicknotes like Sturridge, Lallana, Henderson. I wouldn't take any of them.

Who plays right back for England these days? I'm not a huge Walker fan, but are the alternatives much better?

5 hours ago, Andre91 said:

If Wilshere goes then every other central midfielder who gets over-looked should be disgusted. No way should ANY player who has played six minutes of football all season even begin to be considered for a major tournament squad. 

I think it depends on the player. If Bale had played 0 minutes for Madrid but got passed fit, I would have him in the Wales squad.

I see the mackems have some special activities lined up tomorrow. Continuing on from lighting up Penshaw monument red and white after finishing 17th, they have paid a grand for a plane to fly over SJP tomorrow with a  banner on it and they are wearing Rafa masks at their match tomorrow (completely bizarre). You really don't get much more small time. I've seen them relegated a few times over my life and I can safely say we never done anything like this, and that was when we were fighting for titles and in the Champions League as well. Imagine if they had finished 16th :lol:

CibT3H2WkAI6oRz.jpg:large

CiahXESWwAEhncl.jpg

CiSb-z_XEAAAwV3.jpg