Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Glad Leicester won, although they deserved to win it themselves on the pitch.  It's great to see things mixed up after years of the same old teams winning. I think it's too early to draw conclusions that its proof you don't need money to win. Also great to see a good guy like Ranieri succeeding.

It's a huge anomaly.

I've been a fan of Ranieri (as a man not a manager) since his Chelsea days. Buzzing for him. 

Congrats Leicester. An amazing feat that I doubt will ever be matched. So pleased for Ranieri - i've met him a few times and he is as nice in person as you'd imagine. Must feel amazing after always being the bridesmaid, and then to do it with this team. Incredible!
Great second half to the game tonight. Spurs players lost it big time. Not sure i've ever seen a team have every outfield player booked before. And the ref missed a few! 

Incidentally, Burnley are 5,000/1 to be champions next season. Worth a cheeky pound...

59 minutes ago, Celery said:

Congrats Leicester. An amazing feat that I doubt will ever be matched. So pleased for Ranieri - i've met him a few times and he is as nice in person as you'd imagine. Must feel amazing after always being the bridesmaid, and then to do it with this team. Incredible!
Great second half to the game tonight. Spurs players lost it big time. Not sure i've ever seen a team have every outfield player booked before. And the ref missed a few! 

Incidentally, Burnley are 5,000/1 to be champions next season. Worth a cheeky pound...

PL record isn't it?

9 players booked.

Congrats to Leicester as has already been said probably the biggest sporting achievement ever! and to think it probably wouldn't of happened if Nigel Pearson's son hadn't banged that Thai prostitute and filmed it.

2 hours ago, lost said:

Congrats to Leicester as has already been said probably the biggest sporting achievement ever! and to think it probably wouldn't of happened if Nigel Pearson's son hadn't banged that Thai prostitute and filmed it.

Im not really into the comparisons with other sports. For one reason I think most people making these judgements probably dont follow enough sports in enough depth to make that conclusion. Also the fact football is a game generally dictated by a couple of goals differences between teams there are more scope for these kind of shocks than other sports.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

fantastic. :)

One on the eye for big money football.

Utd, City and Chelsea have spent silly money in the last few years and got nowhere near Leicester. Great to see.

However, Utd, City and Chelsea will all go out and spend silly money this summer to try and bridge the gap.

19 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Utd, City and Chelsea have spent silly money in the last few years and got nowhere near Leicester. Great to see.

However, Utd, City and Chelsea will all go out and spend silly money this summer to try and bridge the gap.

The reality is that these clubs could spend nothing in the summer and will probably finish above Leicester next season.  However even if its a one off, its a great story. 

21 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Well with Elbows McAfro suspended I fancy Carroll will be more effective than usual. 

Pity, I can't see victories against both Swansea and Stoke. 

You should beat us next Saturday, I imagine we'll go back to being on the beach now we've reached mathematical safety...

Looking forward to the trip nonetheless, just a shame that it's not the last game at Upton Park anymore!

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

The reality is that these clubs could spend nothing in the summer and will probably finish above Leicester next season.  However even if its a one off, its a great story. 

Not necessarily. Are Mahrez, Vardy, Schmeichel etc going to drop back to 14/15 levels? They'll strengthen too. 

But yeah, difficult to see Chelsea having such a bad season and Guardiola at City should improve them. If LVG stays Utd will play the same conservative shite again. Utd have only scored 43 goals. The same as Bournmouth. 

Edited by The Nal

54 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Not necessarily. Are Mahrez, Vardy, Schmeichel etc going to drop back to 14/15 levels? They'll strengthen too. 

But yeah, difficult to see Chelsea having such a bad season and Guardiola at City should improve them. If LVG stays Utd will play the same conservative shite again. Utd have only scored 43 goals. The same as Bournmouth. 

I think its quite possible the players form will drop. When assessing them as a player I wouldnt judge someone purely on the basis of one season.  They will strengthen, but will also lose some players who know this is the right time to cash in their chips. Leicester have played fantastic, but also been very lucky at times. I think its doubtful that they are as lucky next season.

Leicester have been brilliant and their story has been great to witness. Like all/most champions they took advantage of the luck that came their way and it really could be viewed as a perfect storm for them. So many money clubs having a shit  season; certain players playing at a level that surpassed what would be realistically expected of them at the start of the season; and plenty of decisions in matches in which they were both playing in and not playing in going their way. Fair play to them and congrats. It's a truly wonderful story

Whats even more interesting is that I read that they are in many ways playing above what some of their stats would otherwise suggest. They are 8th in shots on goal in the league (not the worst admittedly, but maybe the worst for a league champion for some time); They have the worst pass completion rate in the whole league with 70%; And they have the 3rd worst rate of possession in the league. Such makes their achievement even more impressive (if possible)

3 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Lets see who Mou tries to buy from Leicester purely to destabilise them. Vardy I'd imagine.

Think Vardy is a bit too lightweight for a Mourinho striker. I'd be surprised if many Leicester players leave this season anyway. They'll all want to play in the Champo for Leicester.