Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

On 9 days notice?

What do you think they did before everything was at Wembley? They will still have nominated available stadiums, but they won't use them unless they absolutely have to due to smaller capacities.

Anyway the point here is not that it should be moved from Wembley, that it should never have been at Wembley in the first place.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats so special about the semi final that it cant have a replay and just use the grounds of those clubs in it?

The idea of replays is OK for all previous rounds but then the semi final is a big no no? 

As for the the Olympic stadium I heard it was not well liked for its use during the rugby WC. I assume the Hammers will be hoping to alter it somewhat so as they can make it more conducive for atmosphere generation?

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Wembley has only recently(ish) been used for semis. It started with a clamour for a two-London club semi final (I forget who) to not be moved out of London, and then it was demanded by other clubs because of its greater size.

It never used to be used at all, it was saved for the 'magic' of Cup Final day.

Yes, but it was made a permanent decision in order to maximise use (and claw back cost) of the new stadium. I don't doubt that the clubs themselves also get some benefit. Or at very least the need for revenue killed the possibility of it ever going back to the old way.

Edited by mrtourette

5 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

As for the the Olympic stadium I heard it was not well liked for its use during the rugby WC. I assume the Hammers will be hoping to alter it somewhat so as they can make it more conducive for atmosphere generation?

It was converted at considerable taxpayer cost for multi-use, but I think that was before the Rugby WC. So unless they didn't use some of the features (the main one being moving the stands over the athletics track and closer to the pitch) I'd imagine it will be pretty much the same for West Ham as it was at the Rugby WC.

5 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

Yes, but it was made a permanent decision in order to maximise use (and claw back cost) of the new stadium. I don't doubt that the clubs themselves also get some benefit. Or at very least the need for revenue killed the possibility of it ever going back to the old way.

yeah, I know they've made an official thing of it now, I was pointing out (for the younger readers) that it's a very new thing.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, I know they've made an official thing of it now, I was pointing out (for the younger readers) that it's a very new thing.

True, hard to believe but there must be posters here who don't remember the celebrity match before the Cup Final.

42 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Wembley has only recently(ish) been used for semis. It started with a clamour for a two-London club semi final (I forget who) to not be moved out of London, and then it was demanded by other clubs because of its greater size.

It never used to be used at all, it was saved for the 'magic' of Cup Final day.

I don't think many clubs have demanded anything of the sort. 

The only instances of that I can remember are the Arsenal/Tottenham semis in the 90s. The other times it was used I seem the remember clubs being against it - Man Utd/Oldham and Chelsea/Luton spring to mind? 

11 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

To be honest I have no issue with that if it's two London clubs. I just dont like that every semi is there and cos of that there's also no replay now and straight to penalties. 

Yes, although it's not because of Wembley being the venue that Semi-Finals don't go to a replay anymore. That was done away with before the start of the 1999/2000 season, a long time before Wembley (new) was used and when Old Trafford and Villa Park etc were still being used. 

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

so anyway ... El Kloppico*, part 2... How's it going to go?

(* don't blame me for that one, blame the German media)

I think Liverpool played too well at the weekend, so because of their inconsistency they're due a shocker.

playing well at the moment, at home, klopp doing relatively well in home games.. 

i reckon a tight victory for liverpool, possibly on penalties.