TheGayTent

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

P16 W10 D4 L2 F33 A11

Possibly sacked.

How are you meant to succeed at that mad house? 

They don't. 21 managers  in the last 20 years. Hence Reals relative sporadic success. 7 leagues and 3 Spanish cups in the last 25 years and 4 champions leagues in the last 50 years. Considering they've been top dogs in Spain and have attracted the top players in the world since the 50s and are only 1 of 2 teams who consistently have a hope of winning things in Spain its a poor record.

Edited by The Nal

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2015‎ ‎9‎:‎25‎:‎34‎, thetime said:

38 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Can't choose between Neuer, De Gea and Buffon.

I would need to see De Gea do it in some bigger games to put him in the same category. Man Utd haven't been reaching the latter stages of the champions league in recent years and he isn't making his national team.

11 goals, 3 cities, lots a steins, a flurry of snow, and a damn good time. My German trip was as great as anticipated. 

Highlights were the atmosphere in with the Dortmund fans at Hamburg (despite their team losing) and the Checkpoint Charlie museum in Berlin - fascinating. 

39 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

11 goals, 3 cities, lots a steins, a flurry of snow, and a damn good time. My German trip was as great as anticipated. 

Highlights were the atmosphere in with the Dortmund fans at Hamburg (despite their team losing) and the Checkpoint Charlie museum in Berlin - fascinating. 

What games did you see? Watched the highlights for the first time in ages. Not particularly confident about Utd having to win at Wolfsburg considering their 6 nil demolition of Bremen! They look excellent.

And yeah, Berlin is fantastic isn't it?

Edited by The Nal

19 minutes ago, The Nal said:

What games did you see? Watched the highlights for the first time in ages. Not particularly confident about Utd having to win at Wolfsburg considering their 6 nil demolition of Bremen! They look excellent.

And yeah, Berlin is fantastic isn't it?

I saw Hamburg v Dortmund - which was delayed for over an hour because of the extra security checks - which most people seemed more than happy with as it gave them extra drinking time...

Then Wolfsbug Bremen - we struggled to work out how much was down to Wolfsburg being excellent and how much was Bremen being awful - they really were poor. 

Then Hertha v Hoffenheim on Sunday. At one point I thought it would be called off as the snow settled on the pitch. Took me back a few years as at half time they had two members of ground staff dragging an old goal net across the pitch to clear the snow! No under soil heating at the old Olympic stadium. Kinda strange seeing the old (and huge) parade ground behind the stadium where Hitler used to inspect his troops and conduct rallies. 

9 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Sturridge has picked up another injury This time an issue with his foot and requires a scan.

if he was a race horse........

Isn't it funny how he keep getting these injuries just before he's likely to play. It almost looks like he's lost his bottle.

I defo think he's nicked the sicknote tag off Anderton

16 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Isn't it funny how he keep getting these injuries just before he's likely to play. It almost looks like he's lost his bottle.

I defo think he's nicked the sicknote tag off Anderton

I assume with benteke now around,  theyll move sturridge on when his contract is up. 

Just now, eFestivals said:

Not really sure why they would. Sturridge is the much better and more-suitable-for-their-style striker if they can keep him fit.

He played 68 games and been injured for 69 games whilst with liverpool. If this foot injury keeps him out for long now, i think that battle to keep him fit is a losing one!

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

He played 68 games and been injured for 69 games whilst with liverpool. If this foot injury keeps him out for long now, i think that battle to keep him fit is a losing one!

I don't disagree that he's spent a lot of time injured and that's been a loss to what the team do on the pitch, but I still don't see the need to sell him. He was cheap to buy and his injuries mean there won't be a premium price for him if they sold him ... but if they sold him they might find they've sold a player in his prime who's suddenly over his injuries.

I'd say they're better to keep him, and hope he gets past always being injured. Him fit is worth waaay more than the sale fee they'd get.

He has missed half the games while at LFC. Unless he takes a large pay decrease or signs some form of pay per play deal I dont see LFC renewing. Way too risky. He will of course then go on to sign for someone else, stay injury free and then bang em in..........but I cant see LFC resigning unless his contract is restructured for the injury risk he poses

6 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

He has missed half the games while at LFC. Unless he takes a large pay decrease or signs some form of pay per play deal I dont see LFC renewing. Way too risky. He will of course then go on to sign for someone else, stay injury free and then bang em in..........but I cant see LFC resigning unless his contract is restructured for the injury risk he poses

thing is any replacement is going to cost similar in wages and might go sick just as often ... plus they'll be the expense of buying in the first place too.

It's around the point for the club where Sturridge isn't a needed player, but he's a very nice-to-have player if it's fit - so his injuries are a lesser blow to the club, while his benefits when fit could be immense. I'd defo keep him, and keep my fingers crossed that he gets passed the injuries.

On 28/10/2015, 09:35:34, mrtourette said:

Can't see him getting sacked, more like another negotiated payoff and 'left by mutual consent'.

They're likely to be worried by a lack of possible replacements, probably just get Guus Hiddink back again until the end of the season and then go after Guardiola.

Nope Guardiola to take over at Manchester City next season – http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/26/pep-guardiola-bayern-munich-manchester-city

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

thing is any replacement is going to cost similar in wages and might go sick just as often ... plus they'll be the expense of buying in the first place too.

Chances of that are very slim. It would be unusually unlucky to get another player who is injured 50% of the time

Keep him if he costs less or his injury risk is factored into his next contract, yes. No brainer.  

Get him to sign a new contract on the same or better terms as his current? Madness. 

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Think LFC will have to make a call on Sturridge at the end of the season. Can't keep a player who lives in the physio room. Hes on 150k a week apparently and its fairly clear that hes never going to be regularly fit.

It might be the case that he'll never be regularly fit.

But then again it might not be. Plenty of players go thru a period where they get injury after injury, and then come out the other side as a normal player. From what we know on the outside there's more chance he'll get over being regularly injured than carry on getting regularly injuries (tho the club might have medical info which says differently).

He's too good a player to write off on just how the last year or so has been. While he might not contribute much bacause of injuries, he's still a better striker option than a cheap striker (think Balotelli) who they'd be likely to replace him with.