Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

Yeah and Coquelin's out for at least 3 months apparently (which will mean the end of the season knowing Arsenal). They're fucked without him. No way are Flamini or Arteta going to be good enough against the big teams. If they can make it to January and Wenger brings in another defensive midfielder then they may be okay.

To be fair to Wenger, it's not like anybody thought cover for Coquelin was needed in the Summer, no?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Will-2609 said:

Yeah and Coquelin's out for at least 3 months apparently (which will mean the end of the season knowing Arsenal). They're fucked without him. No way are Flamini or Arteta going to be good enough against the big teams. If they can make it to January and Wenger brings in another defensive midfielder then they may be okay.

To be fair to Wenger, it's not like anybody thought cover for Coquelin was needed in the Summer, no?

I disagree with you about the effect of Arteta and/or Flamini covering for Le Coq.

Arsenal typically wave the big teams thru anyway - so if Arsenal play as Arsenal often do they wouldn't win those anyway.

But lately Wenger has started to discover that tactics are effective against the bigger teams rather than just trying to play them off the park, and in those circumstances of the covering player having to do less I'm less worried about how much Arteta/Flamini would effect them. It's the getting forwards that leaves Arsenal susceptible at the back.

Anyone think Villa and Sunderland are down already?

Villa don't look like beating anyone at the moment (or drawing) and Sunderlands next 6  are Palace, Stoke, Arsenal, Watford, Chelsea, City, Liverpool. Between Bournmouth and Newcastle for the other drop spot for me.

Edited by The Nal

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that's a big miss, tho a lot of their injured are back in the next few weeks so it's not all bad.

Getting one of Ramsey, Wilshere, Walcott or Welbeck back for the wing position is paramount. Campbell is dogshite. He's never looked like being an Arsenal-standard player.

Even during his supposedly great World Cup campaign he only actually did anything in the first game and was anonymous for the remainder.

40 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Villa don't look like beating anyone at the moment (or drawing) and Sunderlands next 6  are Palace, Stoke, Arsenal, Watford, Chelsea, City, Liverpool. Between Bournmouth and Newcastle for the other drop spot for me.

Probably, yeah.

Tho I wouldn't be too surprised if we see a different Sunderland tonight as Sam has had a couple of weeks of no-footie to get to know them - who might not win, but might not roll over either. If there's not something different tonight, they're defo down.

Villa is a bit harder, cos the owner might decide he needs to spend big in January. If that happens they might claw their way out.

Not sure who'd go down instead tho. I watched the Norwich Utd game on Saturday and ended up feeling that I felt they deserved a draw more than Utd deserved the win.

28 minutes ago, thetime said:

Most United fans don't want ronaldo back though due to his age, transfer fee and wages.

How many did you talk to to reach that conclusion? 4? Or has there actually been a statistical study done on this? A lot of Utd supporters have been pretty vocal in recent times about their desire to get him back

Edited by ThomThomDrum

Not enough praise for the way spurs are performing currently imo (and that's from an arsenal fan) - probably the most consistent team in the league - Potch has done an outrageously good job there. I'm struggling to see how Chelsea - revitalised or not, are going to get much from them next week.

They keep this up, top 4 is a certainty for them this year.

On 23/11/2015, 10:39:15, The Nal said:

Probably, yeah.

Tho I wouldn't be too surprised if we see a different Sunderland tonight as Sam has had a couple of weeks of no-footie to get to know them - who might not win, but might not roll over either. If there's not something different tonight, they're defo down.

so Sam got them playing last night. I thought he might do.

They're still going to struggle of course, but they're in with a fighting chance I'd say.

Big Sam's got a record of getting the best out of clubs with limited resources, Newcastle aside, so I can't see him failing to keep Sunderland up. They picked the right man to get them out of their current mess, if only Villa could have got there first :D

Villa look good for the drop in my opinion, alongside Norwich & Bournemouth.

I think Villa and Bournemouth are looking good currently, what surprised me was that Garde didn't even really instill a defensive mentality at Lyon (they conceded a lot despite improving up front), so I think both will struggle.

Norwich is an interesting one, because Neil abandoned his gung-ho tactics against Swansea and got a 1-0 win. More results like that and it becomes interesting.