Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

Was in Rock Am Ring before and I was the only native English speaker at a table of about a dozen Germans and a couple of Italians and everyone spoke English for the evening. Even the people at the end of the table who I couldn't even hear. Asked them why and they said it was so I could join in the conversation with anyone at any stage. I was absolutely blown away by it. Zee Germans. Great bunch of lads.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been to see Leverkusen ....was pretty hard to get tickets and quite expensive but was good fun

that area is good to go ...stayed in Cologne and hoped for two Bundeslinga games but the schedule wasn't kind ended up with Fortuna Dusseldorf as well

plus if you stay in Cologne  you have

Koln

Mainz

Leverkusen

Schakle

Gladbach

Dortmund

Dusseldorf

all easily reachable for games

Edited by pryce

been to see Leverkusen ....was pretty hard to get tickets and quite expensive but was good fun

that area is good to go ...stayed in Cologne and hoped for two Bundeslinga games but the schedule wasn't kind ended up with Fortuna Dusseldorf as well

plus if you stay in Cologne you have

Koln

Mainz

Leverkusen

Schakle

Gladbach

Dortmund

Dusseldorf

all easily reachable for games

Interesting experience. I saw Leverkusen play Schalke, which is a fairly local derby. Got tickets easy and was about £30 from memory. Was a good game too and Raul, Van Huntelaar, and Ballack were on show amongst others.

Probably had my best German experience (football wise ;) ) in Düsseldorf. Sadly they've since been relegated.

Personally wouldn't bother with Mainz, not if you're basing yourself in the Düsseldorf/Cologne/Dortmund area. It's a good old trek from there - basically a suburb of Frankfurt, they're a small team with a small stadium too.

Gladbach was a good experience football wise but a crap town - were I to visit there again I'd stay elsewhere (DD or Cologne) and travel in on train.

Cup draw for next stage.

Villa get Birmingham, first time we will play them for nearly 5 years.

But all the media talk about is Spurs v Arsenal who play each other at least twice every year in the league and im sure have met them recently in a cup also.

Don't worry, the media will soon be interested when it all kicks off

Interesting experience. I saw Leverkusen play Schalke, which is a fairly local derby. Got tickets easy and was about £30 from memory. Was a good game too and Raul, Van Huntelaar, and Ballack were on show amongst others.

Probably had my best German experience (football wise ;) ) in Düsseldorf. Sadly they've since been relegated.

Personally wouldn't bother with Mainz, not if you're basing yourself in the Düsseldorf/Cologne/Dortmund area. It's a good old trek from there - basically a suburb of Frankfurt, they're a small team with a small stadium too.

Gladbach was a good experience football wise but a crap town - were I to visit there again I'd stay elsewhere (DD or Cologne) and travel in on train.

think it was 40 quid and pretty much the last two tickets available vs Hamburg

great game though 5-3 ....

Dusseldorf was a good laugh much better city than I expected ...saw them in the 2nd league though and the football was shocking ..dull 1-0 win vs Sandhausen

fancy a trip to Hamburg for either them, Bremen or St.Pauli

ever been to any swiss games? similar atmospheres and always a great laugh

try to get to watch FC Luzern every year always the most fun I have

just avoid Zurich stadium....worst I have been too

and yes wasn't half bad for a 2nd division team

don't like that they don't release the exact dates and times though fairly close to the game week...makes short weekend planning a pain if trying to catch more than one

Not done any Swiss games, but always looking for new places to go and new grounds to visit. Will bear it in mind as I've done all the dutch ones I'm interested in and am running out of options in Germany. Still a few Italian ones to do but I'm not thrilled with the experience in Italy as I am with Germany.

Mind you, next time I go to Italy I'm looking at combining a 6 nations game in Rome with a Napoli game in the same weekend.

I set myself a target of 50 sporting venues by the end of last year ..was on 26 I think and had a year and half ...managed it with the Superdome in New Orleans being my 50th

13 sports in 10 countries

loved it ...need to get back on it though ... just done Aviva Stadium for my first Rugby game so that's 14 sports in 11 countries  

Mind you, next time I go to Italy I'm looking at combining a 6 nations game in Rome with a Napoli game in the same weekend.

Went to see Ireland vs Italy this year in Rome, ended up drinking in the same bar as half the Irish squad + some retired legends. It was an outrageous weekend.

I set myself a target of 50 sporting venues by the end of last year ..was on 26 I think and had a year and half ...managed it with the Superdome in New Orleans being my 50th

13 sports in 10 countries

loved it ...need to get back on it though ... just done Aviva Stadium for my first Rugby game so that's 14 sports in 11 countries

Well I'm well well above 50....taken me far far longer than 18 months to achieve mind - don't like to think about how many years :D

Went to see Ireland vs Italy this year in Rome, ended up drinking in the same bar as half the Irish squad + some retired legends. It was an outrageous weekend.

The game would be great. Can't think of anything worse than going to be Italy and being in a heaving pub surrounded by Irish though. No offence meant, I'd be the same if it was English.

It'd be like visiting Machu Picchu and spending the day playing candy crush

Yeah thats the exact same as going to a sporting event and then after said event having a few pints that night...........how utterly odd! Imagine wanting to go for a few pints after a game.............how boorish, unrefined and philistine like.

Cup draw for next stage.

Villa get Birmingham, first time we will play them for nearly 5 years.

But all the media talk about is Spurs v Arsenal who play each other at least twice every year in the league and im sure have met them recently in a cup also.

It doesn't take a genius to know that the media cover what the majority will be interested in. Compared to a capital derby match featuring two perennial top-six teams nobody gives a shit about a Championship team against a dull lower-level Premier League team. 

I'd also wager that this is one of the few times the media has it right, Spurs v Arsenal is far more likely to be a better spectacle.

The game would be great. Can't think of anything worse than going to be Italy and being in a heaving pub surrounded by Irish though. No offence meant, I'd be the same if it was English.

Agree 100%. Big pet peeve of mine, Irish getting to a city and looking for the nearest Irish pub. Whats the point? Unless its to see a match on the TV and its guaranteed to be shown there.