Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did Benteke play?

Too static, too isolated.

They got the ball onto his head often enough (tho not in front of goal), which he mostly won the challenge for, but there were too few players around him to pick up the loose ball.

I can't see how that's going to work out particularly well.

Clyne looked great, and Gomez looked very good for an 18 year old, and the back looked pretty solid (much more than the last few years), so that part of things was pretty positive.

Wasn't much impressed by Milner and Hendo in the middle initially. The whole team looked much better when Can came on behind them, and they got forwards more.

Firmino didn't get long and he's not match fit yet, but showed a few bits and pieces that makes me want to see more.

A long way from a finished unit, tho Beneteke aside they looked like players who should get their act together after a few games to bed-in (that's not me saying they'll be fabulous, tho).

Edited by eFestivals

Sorry to hear that, I didn't see the Liverpool game - I take it they didn't play well then?

with more purpose than West Ham.

Stoke/Liverpool was about as dull as you'd expect from a Pulis team which brings the opposition down to their own level, and Arsenal/West Ham was about as dull as you'd expect from a Big Sam team which brings the opposition down to their own level ... and yet both managers have moved on and supposedly there's better footie to be seen now. :lol:

First game tho. Those 4 teams weren't the only ones still thinking of their hols this weekend.

I think perfomances on game 1 should be pretty much disregarded. Friendly games dont really prepare a team for much. New players need to gel and new players still have to arrive. Even for the more settled sides, they are understandably a bit rusty. I think any team that was lucky to win over the weekend should take their 3 points and run, regardless of how they got them.

Stoke/Liverpool was about as dull as you'd expect from a Pulis team which brings the opposition down to their own level, and Arsenal/West Ham was about as dull as you'd expect from a Big Sam team which brings the opposition down to their own level ... and yet both managers have moved on and supposedly there's better footie to be seen now. :lol:

What piffle.

Even Wenger was more gracious about West Ham's performance than you - which says it all !

1st weekend of the season means SFA. The transfer window is still open and many teams are still trying to properly define themseleves. As mentioned above if a team picks up 3 points take em and go. If a team dropped 3 points its nothing to worry about as most teams will invariably take a few weeks to get up to speed and find their "groove"

Playing shit and getting 3 points is a nice bonus on opening day...........some teams even manage to pull that off throughout a season.............. 

with more purpose than West Ham.

First game tho. Those 4 teams weren't the only ones still thinking of their hols this weekend.

I think that's slightly unfair on West Ham. Can't comment on Stoke, but West Ham's pressing was a lot better than it would have been under Allardyce in a game like yesterday, for example. They would have sat back and possibly lost their lead. The question now is whether Bilic can grind out results like Allardyce did at times during the season to ensure they keep their heads above water. 

Your last comment is true though, has anybody in the top tier played particularly well this weekend? Don't think any of the winners have been particularly convicing/comfortable, that's the first weekend of the season for you.

Your last comment is true though, has anybody in the top tier played particularly well this weekend? Don't think any of the winners have been particularly convicing/comfortable, that's the first weekend of the season for you.

I saw the Chelsea, Arsenal and Stoke games, and I thought Swansea were excellent, tho a bit too daunted at drawing against Chelsea to try and actually win the match (which they prolly could have won if they'd been a bit braver).

Mind you, while Chelsea were clearly still on their hols, you could still see how much quality they have and that they'll be on the money soon enough.

I thought West Ham were excellent. A clinical and economical away performance. Typical Arsenal though. Weak and no drive. Heads went down at 1 nil, chickening out of 50/50s etc. The "defending" for the 2nd goal was an embarrassment.

West Ham still know how to defend, and Arsenal still want to walk the ball into the net.

I thought that was about all there was on show really, plus a bit of complacency from Arsenal who looked like they thought they were going to win without trying.

That's probably a good thing for Arsenal, to give them a kick up the arse to gte them moving.

I think Leicester played pretty well, scored 4, many more chances. I know it's only Sunderland, who can't defend for shit, but you can only play what's in front of you!

I saw the Chelsea, Arsenal and Stoke games, and I thought Swansea were excellent, tho a bit too daunted at drawing against Chelsea to try and actually win the match (which they prolly could have won if they'd been a bit braver).

Mind you, while Chelsea were clearly still on their hols, you could still see how much quality they have and that they'll be on the money soon enough.

For sure. Still favourites for me, whilst they haven't massively strengthened as such I still think the other contenders have issues to sort out (Arsenal's strike force, United's lack of centre-half) before they challenge. Man City I guess have a chance, but still not enough to get past Chelsea in my view. 

I think Leicester played pretty well, scored 4, many more chances. I know it's only Sunderland, who can't defend for shit, but you can only play what's in front of you!

Was a good attacking performance, but my point is that they still conceded a couple of goals, so I don't think it was a hugely dominant performance. Especially when, as you say, Sunderland were pretty poor last season. Leicester were the best of the bunch, but I don't think anyone put in a truly convincing performance. 

West Ham were deserved winners, but not because they were good.

Did you watch a different game or something?

I watched the game that most others seem to have.

Clearly you didn't if you think you watched a typical Sam Allardyce team.

Edited by TheGayTent