Foals

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only one I would feel fairly certain in saying will headline Reading/Leeds 2016 is Foals. They have a pretty fanatical following which is only getting bigger. Each album shows progress and it doesn't feel stale (or the same shit) which after 3 albums is quite difficult. Many bands have slipped away after their first album or two due to what seems like a lack of ideas. 

Judging by their new single What Went Down too, this album isn't going to disappoint and I would be pretty comfortable in saying it will be their first number 1. Then leading to more arena venues and eventually headlining at least one big festival (Reading/Glasto). 

Melvin Benn has already talked about Foals headlining in 2013. 

http://www.nme.com/news/foals/71930

Their live shows are fantastic and are extremely lively/energetic too, so why not give them a headlining slot. Fed up of the same old acts year after year. 

Edited by Muntz75

Nah cos they'll use a 2017 headlining slot to conclude the tour for their 4th album innit

My reckoning is they'll be the first headliner announcement for next year, while they've still got the hype following the album release. Think 2017 might be leaving it a little late if they want to jump to headliners.

I see them headlining in 2016 as rushing it a bit, wait a year to be able to make sure they have what it takes by seeing how the album and tour goes down then finish the cycle with a headline slot

But the album would have been out for a year already by then? 

FOALS

2016: Sub Glasto + arena tour

2017: Headline T + R&L

I don't see the point in them subbing Glasto when they just go straight to headlining R&L and presumably FR would want them on an exclusive basis

Yeah I've made the point about them subbing Glastonbury next year looking weak already but it would definitely be an odd move if they were to do that. There will still be enough hype about the new album next summer which probably won't be there in 2017 and it will have been out long enough to show that they'll be big enough to headline. I'm not sure what would change between next summer and 2017 to push them up to headline status.

I don't think Foals will be there this year either way.

The special guest set is normally someone who is either at cream fields at the weekend or someone who was at at V festival the week before. Either way its a way to protect UK ticketing rights for other festivals. Glasto are a law unto themselves at this point so whatever with them. 

To me, it's more Interesting that Limp Bizkit are 100% nailed on as headliners on the site (check the wording) but the other two don't seem to be nailed on. This could be because Bizkit aren't finishing off the stage and need the wording for the contract or it could be that someone is catapulted to the top on what I consider to be a slightly weak Saturday.

But even if that's not the case, of all of the people in the list of the two festivals and who could fit in the slot provided or be catapulted to the top of the NME card need to be a band appearing at other major UK festivals and have a very good working relationship with Reading festival and FR. I can only see Stereophonics in that place and fitting in with the bands around them.

Edited by mattl

The special guest set is normally someone who is either at cream fields at the weekend or someone who was at at V festival the week before. Either way its a way to protect UK ticketing rights for other festivals. Glasto are a law unto themselves at this point so whatever with them. 

What?

But even if that's not the case, of all of the people in the list of the two festivals and who could fit in the slot provided or be catapulted to the top of the NME card need to be a band appearing at other major UK festivals and have a very good working relationship with Reading festival and FR. I can only see Stereophonics in that place and fitting in with the bands around them.

I'm still not seeing why it is Stereophonics

The special guest set is normally someone who is either at cream fields at the weekend or someone who was at at V festival the week before.

We all remember Green Day's career-defining set at Creamfields in 2012.

Oh and who can forget when Jamie T played to a huge crowd at V Festival in 2014.

Edited by conroy17

• 3 weeks later...

New single Mountain at my Gates on Annie Mac next Monday and then a session at Maida Vale the following night. You can apply for tickets for the Maida Vale thing here.

3.75 pairs of tickets for the rest of the UK. :P

There's live footage of their new opener from the new album "Snake Oil" on YouTube but it's really shitty quality. Surprised it's not the next single though considering it's already in the setlist for this summer.

I'm a bit torn about Foals... some of the stuff they do is incredible but they are very inconsistent... none of their albums have made me sit back and say "wow that was great" after hearing the whole thing (first album got the closest). However, they are very good live and that new song sounds immense so think would give them a go if they headline as long as there was no one I love clashing.

Edited by SOAD

Despite Libertines this year, Glasto sub and Reading headliner aren't really equivalents. Plus Foals (apparently) rejected subbing Glastonbury this year and also said a while back that their aim was to headline Reading so there won't be any foolishness with rejecting headlining other festivals to sub Glasto either. 

Despite Libertines this year, Glasto sub and Reading headliner aren't really equivalents. Plus Foals (apparently) rejected subbing Glastonbury this year and also said a while back that their aim was to headline Reading so there won't be any foolishness with rejecting headlining other festivals to sub Glasto either. 

Friday opening dead cert then