Your ONE new discovery for GF2015

bennyhana22

As a diversion from the growing hysteria of the Weather thread (I'm not that bothered tbh, only checking it maybe 3-4 times per hour) I thought I'd canvass a little info on who people have discovered for the first time on this year's line-up.

Without question, the most exciting part of a festival for me is discovering that little diamond in the line-up that I'd never heard of before, only for them to become a life-long favourite.

The 'Rules' (fluid, but at least try to stick to them...)

1. Name ONE band/artist that you have discovered and become very excited about, from this year's line-up
  2. Ideally it should be a band/artist that you'd never even heard of before
  3. If there really are no absolute newbies for you, then it would be OK to choose a band/artist that you had heard of, but new essentially nothing about before exploring them after they were announced for GF 2015

Mine:

Keston Cobblers Club

saw them mentioned in one of the 'smaller stage bands' threads, explored, fell a bit in love and now am as excited about them as almost any other band this year. New album released today, already ordered on vinyl and currently listening to the downloaded version as I write this.

Whatcha got, eFesters?

:)

Ben

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benjamino!

Magic Alex would be my choice. Never heard of before I stumbled upon them on BSR's playlist and only the one album. Liking what I hear!

Edited by pentura

Benjamino!

Magic Alex would be my choice. Never heard of before I stumbled upon them on BSR's playlist and only the one album. Liking what I hear!

But won't you be unable to rid yourself of thoughts of The Master from Dr Who?!

Or some 70's Life On Mars nostalgia?!

:)

Ben

The only one for me that I'd never even heard of before that I'll be seeing is Duke Special. Very impressed by what I've heard from him so far.

16:25-17:05 Friday on the acoustic stage is where he's playing if anyone has a gap there.

Ooh, that might work actually, Placid - I'll already be there for Stornaway 1530-1610h...will check him out.

(can you see how this thread is a poorly-veiled attempt to get some smashing recs...?)

Ben

Ooh, that might work actually, Placid - I'll already be there for Stornaway 1530-1610h...will check him out.

(can you see how this thread is a poorly-veiled attempt to get some smashing recs...?)

Ben

I'll listen out for any recommendations here, even though my schedule is tightly packed. If there's anyone recommended here that's good enough to swing me away from acts I'm already seeing then that'd be great!

Amazingly I had never heard PSB before they got announced and everyone went apeshit for it. Obviously due to the fully positive reviews from everyone on here I checked them out, and I bloody love them.

Unfortunately wont be seeing them at Glastonbury due to ridiculous clashes on the Saturday night, but I do plan on getting a ticket to their Brixton show in November if I can convince a couple of mates to come (shouldn't be hard).

Goes to show the positives of a drip fed line up, probably wouldn't have checked them out had I known straight away they were clashing

Good shout on Keston Cobblers Club, I'll definitely be there.

I have so many to be honest - quite a bit lower down on the line-up too which is lovely as I'm not a fan of spending all my time at the main stages.

If I were to say who have I most fallen in love with who were completely unknown to me then it would be THE BURNING HELL.

Fantastically quirky & witty oddball indie from a Canadian bloke called Matthias with some great musicianship thrown in from his band around him. Sure they'll be stellar live too. People their last album is just an utter delight. 11:30 am could be a tough one to make though!

Ben

Pretty much already breaking the rules but really like the sound of Red Sky July on just before Stornoway too. In fact the acoustic stage has provided me with more new bands to listen to than any other I think! Great blend of artists this year.

Amazingly I had never heard PSB before they got announced and everyone went apeshit for it. Obviously due to the fully positive reviews from everyone on here I checked them out, and I bloody love them.

Unfortunately wont be seeing them at Glastonbury due to ridiculous clashes on the Saturday night, but I do plan on getting a ticket to their Brixton show in November if I can convince a couple of mates to come (shouldn't be hard).

Goes to show the positives of a drip fed line up, probably wouldn't have checked them out had I known straight away they were clashing

I'll second this - and it's a great "Pyramid Avoidance Tactic" for the Saturday night.....

It was also PSB for me, the enthusiasm for them here led me to check them out and I haven't looked back.  About half of what I expect to see this year is going to be new stuff I've discovered recently, so I'm hoping I will come back from the festival with a couple of new favourites.

Kasai Allstars for me. Courtesy of BSR's playlist. I heard them and immediately knew I'd have to see them. They are a 25 piece collective from Democratic Republic of the Congo. 4pm Friday West Holts.