Flares or Not?

Peroni

10 minutes ago, ogriff said:

I was stood directly next to some massive (to my eyes at least) roided up dickheads at Chemical Brothers last year that kept letting off flares - with lots of hot debris falling on me and my friends with nowhere for us to go due to the size of the crowd.  Any attempts to ask them to stop were met with naked aggression.

Taken, that's more an issue that they were utter dickheads rather than their pyros, but it was pretty unpleasant and I ended up with a couple burns on my arm (through my t-shirt)

oh that's awful. I've always thought they looked pretty dangerous!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, ogriff said:

I was stood directly next to some massive (to my eyes at least) roided up dickheads at Chemical Brothers last year that kept letting off flares - with lots of hot debris falling on me and my friends with nowhere for us to go due to the size of the crowd.  Any attempts to ask them to stop were met with naked aggression.

Taken, that's more an issue that they were utter dickheads rather than their pyros, but it was pretty unpleasant and I ended up with a couple burns on my arm (through my t-shirt)

That's the scenario I'd be most wary of tbh, being in a crowd without sufficient space and inevitably they're being used by the big twat.

As someone else said - drunk people in charge of burning embers. Great.

I'm sure I'll get shot down for this, but isn't it another 'look at me I'm on telly' type thing that has crept (well, much more than crept) in to the festival? 

I understand the argument that they look good, but I'm sure the screens/lasers/blahblah look great already and are safe. 

I must be getting old.

Standing way back on the hill last year for The Who about 4-5 flares went off in the field during Behind Blue Eyes and it really added to the atmosphere. I remember Win Butler talking about how amazing they looked from the stage after Arcade Fire headlined too. However, I've never been in the vicinity of one when they are let off though which would probably change my opinion somewhat, especially if in the hands of drunken idiots which seems to be the trend based on the comments here. 

On 08/06/2015 at 3:25 PM, chimpy said:

How anyone can say these are great is beyond me, its a big ball of magnesium held by someone whos been drinking for 3 days.

This is the problem.  It's not flares per se, if handled properly by someone who has a clue what they're doing and isn't off their noodle on booze/drugs/sleep deprived (prob all three) then OK.  Setting them off in a crowd when you're mashed is fucking stupid.  I'm not one for the nanny state, but some things are just daft.

I stood at the back of the Pyramid field during Kasabian in 2014 and remember thinking that all the flares looked ace. That was until some drunk guy next to me got one out whilst on his mate's shoulders and dropped it. Inches away from hitting me on the head.

So it's a no from me

At first I thought this thread was about suitable attire for Earth, Wind and Fire...

I like the flares - they definitely add to the atmosphere. Flags and flares definitely add something 'Glastonbury' for me. Also, I do worry about how much fun can be regulated before its not fun any more...no campfires? no alcohol in the 'arena'? smoking areas? Imagine!

39 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

When was the last time someone held a camp fire above your head and let it burn all over you? 

Campfires are at ground level, and not in your line of sight. That sounds far more hazardous than a massive bright light being held up in the sky for all to see for miles around.

Hopefully a nice Tory MP will be along to save us all from them too soon. After all we dont want hundreds of young people being maimed by them.

1 hour ago, ogriff said:

This happened to us to the left of the scaffolding area during chemical brothers. Luckily there was plenty of room for the crowd to spread out so it seemed like everyone was enjoying the flares. 

Using flares when the crowd is in a tight space is a terrible idea. 

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Presumably all you bed-wetters would like to see campfires banned from the campsites too?

I would definitely like to see campfires banned from being made in the six inch gap between my tent and the one next door. Which they already are. Try setting up a campfire as close to someone's tent as a flare is to someone in the crowd, and those bloody tory jobsworth campsite stewards will come tell you it's too 'dangerous'.

And unlike in crowds, campsites can be policed effectively as there's room for security and stewards to move around.

16 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Campfires are at ground level, and not in your line of sight. That sounds far more hazardous than a massive bright light being held up in the sky for all to see for miles around.

I mean if gravity wasn't a thing you'd be spot on.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

I would definitely like to see campfires banned from being made in the six inch gap between my tent and the one next door. Which they already are. Try setting up a campfire as close to someone's tent as a flare is to someone in the crowd, and those bloody tory jobsworth campsite stewards will come tell you it's too 'dangerous'.

And unlike in crowds, campsites can be policed effectively as there's room for security and stewards to move around.

I mean if gravity wasn't a thing you'd be spot on.

Bloody gravity, always bringing me down.

13 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

I've been looking but I can't actually find any statistics regarding injuries and flares at festivals.

I personally think they add to the atmosphere but I'm old and was brought up eating worms and playing with asbestos.

You wont find any, because the risk is absolutely microscopic. Oh wait. I think an australian girl suffered a life-changing minor burn at a festival in sydney a decade or so ago.

BAN THEM! BAN THEM ALL!

BAN EVERYTHING!

Glastonbury goers cheering Tory MPs for regulating our festival. Dear oh dear.

In 1998 I brought in a bag of fireworks, as a pal and I were celebrating our birthdays. 

I believe on the Wednesday we were quite drunkenly setting them off in the field we used to camp in which I think is Spring Ground (assuming that wasn't only disabled camping back then?).

You could hear from the reaction on the hill that they were being warmly appreciated, as I would light another one and wobble away anxiously only to see a couple of high vis jackets approaching near by.

You can imagine my expectation as I approached them with a small sense of foreboding, only for them to say "Take it steady ok, but just wanted to say that they're bloody great!"

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

You wont find any, because the risk is absolutely microscopic. Oh wait. I think an australian girl suffered a life-changing minor burn at a festival in sydney a decade or so ago.

BAN THEM! BAN THEM ALL!

BAN EVERYTHING!

Glastonbury goers cheering Tory MPs for regulating our festival. Dear oh dear.

Someone just said in this thread that they got burned by one at last years festival.