Shambala 2015

5co77ie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm hoping for a bit of info about this festival please. First visit, so wondering:

how far is it from car park to site?

is it one big site or are the camping sites outside of an 'arena'?

what area is best to camp that isn't 'family' but isn't too noisy either?

Hope you can help :)

PS Topic title seems to have an extra roaming 'a' in it ;)

Edited by FestieKath

I'm hoping for a bit of info about this festival please. First visit, so wondering:

how far is it from car park to site?

is it one big site or are the camping sites outside of an 'arena'?

what area is best to camp that isn't 'family' but isn't too noisy either?

Hope you can help :)

PS Topic title seems to have an extra roaming 'a' in it ;)

It's really not that far from the car parks to the camp sites (as compared to something like Glastonbury or Bestival). Fortunately the ground is level too which helps, especially if using a trolley. In previous years they have had a load of wheel barrows next to the camping entrance. The idea is that you pay a deposit to use the wheelbarrow (to ensure that you bring it back) to take your stuff to the campsite of your choice. You then return the wheelbarrow and are given your money back ie. it technically costs you nothing to hire/use their wheelbarrows. However, you are 'invited' to make a donation to charity when returning the wheelbarrow. I used the service once (when leaving the festival) and was quite happy to donate as it meant I was able to shift a lot more stuff more quickly. They also have people on bikes with trailers that you can hire and they will cycle along as you walk (or even carry you as well) carrying all your stuff to your chosen campsite. We used this service on the way in once and think we paid the bloke about £20 for the privilege. I got the impression that this was more than the bloke was expecting to get.

It is one big open site but there's a main 'arena' where most of the bands play. However, it's not like other arena festivals ie you can happily bring your own drink in to the 'arena' area.

The family camping is the first thing you will come across after entering the festival. Then there's a tipi field (if I recall correctly) and then there's the rest of the camping. I don't think the map is out yet but there's definitely an area which is classed as in between in terms of not too quiet and not too noisy. However, in reality that boils down to what neighbours you get.

One more thing - you are in for a very very pleasant surpise as it's a fantastic festival with a great vibe. Unfortunately like other festivals the number of tent thefts has increased over the last few years. The organisers have really made a great effort to reduce this but as you'll be aware a tent offers no protection from theft if you are out partying. My strong advice would be to hire one of the lockers for the weekend. They are available for £7.50 and are about the size of a small rucksack. I'd get on to it now as well before they all sell out - see the link below for details ie just below the picture of the two water bottles;

https://www.theticketsellers.co.uk/buy_tickets_old/events/?id=10033059&wlid=279;5

Oh, one last thing - if you don't bring fancy dress of some sort you'll probably regret it. I'm not really one for fancy dress at all normally but simply have to make an exception for this festival.

Have fun. :)

Thank you eFestivals and wow, big thank you Yogurt on a Stick!  That is a MASSIVE help and gives me a bit more indication of what to expect.  Having gone Glastonbury and Kendal Calling, I've seen both ends of the scale in terms of trekking from car to campsite, so it sounds as if this shouldn't be too bad at all.  Yeah, unfortunately tent thefts are getting worse, your point about the locker has been noted and I'll get one booked.

I'd better get my dressy-uppy head on then, as I'm not usually a fancy dress person (albeit I'm a unicorn in my profile pic, that was an exception!)

Big thanks to you :-D

• 4 weeks later...

It's on it's way. I have started to sense it just that little bit more of late. It'll be my first festival (only going to one other) this year. We had tickets for Bearded Theory but couldn't make it.

To cut a long story short I'm gagging for a festival and what better one than Shambala to help re-adjust your co-ordinates to where they should ideally lie.

I have an outfit I'm going to wear on Saturday night. It'll be a very shiney silver sequined suit. If you see me then please come and say hello. It would be lovely to meet up face to face with some other efesters. The only flaw that I can see in this is if I've gone rabid. If this is the case then I hope, no demand, that one of them vetenary Elizabethan collars be put on me for the health and safety of adults, children, and even ants (this is the one that destroys me). In return I offer to snaffle about on all fours with a BDSM type piece of apperatus lashed to my neck for a period of time which has no boundaries. Welcome. Welcome to the carnival.

Let the carnival begin. Every pleasure every sin.

Come on Shambala 2015.

• 2 weeks later...