Getting into a crowd

Tigerdragon

Have you ever missed a band to get a plush spot for an act you really wanted to see?

How long do you think it takes to get a good place in a crowd?

I'm specifically tossing up whether I'd rather see Jamie T, then enjoy the Who less from far away - or stay for Paul Weller (who I am fairly indifferent to, he seems fine enough, would love to see some Jam songs though) and then have a better experience of the Who at the end of the festival.

Edited by Tigerdragon

I missed the manics and the pixies last year on the other to be right down the front for metallica......had the plus side of getting to see robert plant and jack white who I didnt mind anyway so no worrys.......this year may be a little tougher.....I love motorhead and the foos and would love to be near the front for both.....but is it worth suffering Florance and her mediocre machine to get a good spot for the foos? that is the question!

Don't get how people don't need to go to the toilet in that amount of time. I'm sure I must go once an hour once the beer starts flowing!! Or are you pissing in a cup?!

If going to see Jamie T then The Who will I be okay for a spot? Which is the best way to go from the other stage to the pyramid? Last year I went the beat hotel way but looking at the map looks like the other way could be quicker? And i'd end up at the left hand side...

Have you ever missed a band to get a plush spot for an act you really wanted to see?

No.

In ten years I've only failed to get to a spot I'm happy with once or twice I think, at the most for headliners I'll try and be around as the previous act finishes but generally there's always a way and I'm not talking about shoving and pushing - maybe a few excuse me's but it's very doable

My very top tip is if you Do get stuck just wait a little while and a girl-led-snake will come past - just tag yourself onto the end and peel off if they go somewhere you don't like. For every drunken loud lad I've had charge past (maybe a total of ten) there have been tens of girls/girl-led-snakes.... I don't mean to chastise the many many perfectly polite folk of all sexes and types that go past, but a lot of drink and knowing no bloke will shove you back seems to foster a certain mindset in some. I'm not going to fight them about it, but I will tag along their cheeky ride!

Edited by frostypaw

No need. As long as you get to front of field on left hand side of stage as you look, by the water aid stand, as the banshee finishes, you'll get in fine. the only time where getting there early has been necessary has been the Stones.

I'll disagree with you on the Stones.

I was stood WAY WAY too far back as was with a big crowd who didn't want to get too involved - despite my protestations. When the Stones came on it became clear that we were so far away you couldn't really here anything so at that point two of us just legged it down the left hand side of the Pyramid field (stopping for a cheeky slash on the way!) and bolted inwards.

Watched the rest of the gig from around the sound stage tower. Alright so not right down the front but really had no issue and could have got much further in.

IMMENSE they were as well!

No.

In ten years I've only failed to get to a spot I'm happy with once or twice I think, at the most for headliners I'll try and be around as the previous act finishes but generally there's always a way and I'm not talking about shoving and pushing - maybe a few excuse me's but it's very doable

My very top tip is if you Do get stuck just wait a little while and a girl-led-snake will come past - just tag yourself onto the end and peel off if they go somewhere you don't like. For every drunken loud lad I've had charge past (maybe a total of ten) there have been tens of girls/girl-led-snakes.... I don't mean to chastise the many many perfectly polite folk of all sexes and types that go past, but a lot of drink and knowing no bloke will shove you back seems to foster a certain mindset in some. I'm not going to fight them about it, but I will tag along their cheeky ride!

A girl-led-snake could get you in trouble!

easy.....1.im in my 30`s not my 60`s (sorry older folks haha) 2.go for an almighty clearout before you go into the crowd and 3.dont drink cider......... :P

She speaks the truth. Take a beer/any other canned drink with you, but don't drink for the couple of hours before your act. Then when your act starts drink away. You won't need the loo till after they finish.

Also be mindful of the main stage donut...

Essentially a crowd congregates... New arrivals see this crowd and just falls in line behind. This creates the illusion of a packed field when in reality there are pockets of space that are less dense.

We has this at the stones... everyone saying it was packed out yet we had enough room for blankets and huge circle of hugs as the last song played out...

Edited by Peroni

I got right to the Front for the stones. The only way I did this was by slowly moving my way in during the intervals between elvis costello and primal scream.

However there was a women in front of me who just went off while waiting for the stones to come on. Turns out she had been too the loo and just expected the crowd to move so she could get back to her place right at the front in the middle !! She tried to start many fights and in the end after calling scurity a bell end she was removed, and guessing up right to the back

She speaks the truth. Take a beer/any other canned drink with you, but don't drink for the couple of hours before your act. Then when your act starts drink away. You won't need the loo till after they finish.

Sounds like a plan as want to get sorta of near the front for Foos so people can't hear my inevitable bad singing, might even try for the back of the front pit if possible but loo breaks are always an issue for me as when booze gets flowing it seems like a one in one out policy which is no bloody good when watching 2hr+ set..

Not sure about a couple of hours but defo start slowing it down for hour before and 1st half of Foos set so no loo dilemmas lol

On topic of getting spot in crowd have no problem usually as there is always ways and means to getting a good spot without pushing everyone over and I would not suffer watching someone I didn't like to get that elusive spot, luckily I like the motorhead/Flo/Foos combo so works out okay

Also be mindful of the main stage donut...

Essentially a crowd congregates... New arrivals see this crowd and just falls in line behind. This creates the illusion of a packed field when in reality there are pockets of space that are less dense.

We has this at the stoend... everyone saying it was packed out yey we had enough room for blankets and huge circle of hugs as the last song played out...

It's the same at gigs everyone congregating at the back but loads of room at the sides near the front, saying that not always getting through that crowd at the back if need loo or beer!!

i got right up front for the Stones, and even left in the gap between Scream and Stones for a toilet break and ended up right back where i was originally. i think they stopped letting people in to the front circle soon after though as i remember security kicking off at my friend who managed to wrangle his way in

but in most cases, i'd say you could easily slide down the side of a crowd and end up in a fairly decent spot. obviously don't turn up seconds before they come on stage, but even fifteen minutes beforehand is probably enough time. missing acts to stand at the front of another stage for hours is silly

Don't get how people don't need to go to the toilet in that amount of time. I'm sure I must go once an hour once the beer starts flowing!! Or are you pissing in a cup?!

If there's someone I really want to be at the front for, I avoid drinking for a good few hours in advance. Even keep water consumption to a minimum, although that's less of a worry, and I typically drink a lot of water.

I'll bring my drone along so I can see where the dense bits are lolz.

On a serious note, are drones banned? I'm guessing they will be.

Even if they are, only if you get caught. Once it's in the air, it's gonna be pretty difficult to work out who's flying it. Use drone for scouting, park it somewhere out-of-bounds where people won't go, re-pilot it once it's over.

However there was a women in front of me who just went off while waiting for the stones to come on. Turns out she had been too the loo and just expected the crowd to move so she could get back to her place right at the front in the middle !! She tried to start many fights and in the end after calling scurity a bell end she was removed, and guessing up right to the back

Ha! Serves her right. I think it's an unsaid rule that you're in the spot you're in until you leave it and once you've left it, it's gone.

I found getting any spot I wanted (within reason) pretty straightforward, following the old 'move in from the side as the band before is finishing' routine. There are enough people coming out that you can go in if you like. I got front row Pyramid for Rodrigo y Gabriela, which was sweet but I wouldn't want to be front row for many acts - it's just not the best spot. Towards the back of the front pit is pretty much perfect for me, and that's where I hope to enjoy Kanye from.