Most overcrowded Stage?

dingbat2

It was busy but that's only because it's a proper tiny tent, there weren't that many people there. Once they came back on it was fine and not too busy at all.

Aye, I was only really going in there to see a few friends working behind the bar. Come along and see us for 2 bears they said, it will be fun they said. :)

I was chatting to a couple of people through the fence where the outside smoker garden thingy is who said it wasn't even overly busy inside. Outside though it was 30 or 40 deep from every angle aiming at the entrance. Good atmosphere though.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't it the Thom Yorke & Jonny Greenwood gig that stopped the secret Park gigs due to crowd control?

No, the Radiohead/Pulp combo the next year were the really packed ones*. Thom Yorke + Jonny Greenwood wasn't that bad really. Packed by Park standards, but not too bad.

* I didn't actually go in 2011, but did see Thom Yorke.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

William's Green. I've never managed to get anywhere near that tent any time I've tried to see anything there.

Seen the Beat there in 2013. Wasn't too bad if I recall rightly. Although that bottle of whiskey may have clouded my judgement.

We were stage left of Blondie for their Friday set on Other last year. That was pretty hairy. Worst crowd situation I've been in at Glasto. Blondie weren't very good either.

Like a lot of tents Willams Green packs out at the back, but things are a bit more spacious down front if you can squeeze through.

From my experience, the right hand side entrance of the John Peel is definitely the way to go. I'm expecting it to be rammed for Suede, so I am gonna get down there for a decent time before La Roux finishes and people spill out then it should be fine.

We were stage left of Blondie for their Friday set on Other last year. That was pretty hairy. Worst crowd situation I've been in at Glasto. Blondie weren't very good either.

Like a lot of tents Willams Green packs out at the back, but things are a bit more spacious down front if you can squeeze through.

It was bloody awful, I stupidly thought I could get through the throngs of people and just ended up getting trapped on the path. Can't believe they had The War On Drugs on the Pyramid and Blondie on the Other.

Couple of years back when Django Django were one of the Thursday gigs in Williams Green a couple of mates of ours said "we can't get in," I was right down at the front and there was more than enough space. I think with the John Peel tent especially people walk round a bit, stepping over people who are sitting down and so on, wondering if they'll get in then just think "we'll just stay here" creates that thing where everyone's down the centre. Go from the flanks and you'll likely find a way!

Go from the flanks and you'll likely find a way!

I agree with this, has worked a charm for me in the past. You might not get a GREAT view, but you'll get in.

A good number of folks stop and stand by the edge of a tent, and make it look full from the outside.

The only exception was Sonic last year for Fatboy. I got there late and event the sneak wasn't going to work. But it eased up about half way through ended up 6 from the front, dead centre.

Stopped bothering with baggy mondays as it's just pointless unless you're there before it starts. And then you leave for a p*ss and can't get back.

Quite happy to be up at the Park within earshot if the weather's good, but no desire to get inside the tent, really.

Blondie was crazy last year, it was stupid not to put them on the Pyramid when there was no clashes to draw anybody away, and they were a bit shit. It did have a really nice feeling of all the festival being together to kick things off though, like Glastonbury had really started. There was lovely moments of big cheers whenever the sun peeped out from behind the clouds.

Saw that from the path going past on the way back to my tent for a cans restock(camped in arcadia/park home field)....looked crazy busy and blondie did sound utter shite......glad I wasnt in the middle of it!

We found ourselves at the back, on the path, of this crowd and I have never felt so frightened for our safety. A crush situation was at the beginning of occurring and people were beginning to get really jittery. It turns out that the stewards had closed the field both ways, to prevent anyone else coming in, but this had the effect of causing those already in the field to be moving forwards towards a dead end, and with more and more people walking behind them, it became really uncomfortable. I'm used to large crowds and I endured a scary situation at Waterloo Station in the early hours of Jan 1 2000, when I was 7 months pregnant, and the Blondie experience was far scarier. :-(

Jurassic 5 last year (or year before?) was crazy busy.

The (not secret at all) secret sets up at the park were crazy as well. They had to shut the Park for Pulp.

I didn't think it was that bad as loads of room to move a bit further back

Worse for me was:

Williams green last year for Metronomy - hard work getting in but we managed somehow

JP - Royal Blood again managed to get in, but this stage is generally bad when busy

Overall though I've never found Glasto too bad my worse experience was actually at Leeds 2010 as some right scary crowd crushes, when headliners finished on the Saturday they had some stupid 1-way system going and didn't open all the extra gates to ease the crowd people ended up being crushed/falling over - me and the fella actually climbed up on some stacked fencing to get out the crowd and pulled other up too

Also, Flo in the NME crowd was ridiculously crowded, then it rained so all the kids with the shockwave hair tried to push in - I actually couldn't breathe and ended up jumping the barrier to get out along with a load of other folk

That was a horrible year and glad it doesn't get like that at Glasto

Actually some of the worst overcrowding was in the early years of Arcadia, 2007 or 2008, cant remember which. It was a new and incredibly impressive thing back then (it still is to be fair), you could hear it, see it and feel the fire from a long way away. and it was in a tiny field with only a couple of entrances in and exits out. Just next to the Avalon field from memory. It was absolutely rammed, you couldn't get in out out whilst the show, including the lightning rod show, was on

It (and the lanes thing in shangri La) was really the start of the naughty corner popularity explosion, after the days of Lost Vagueness, etc.

It was utterly brilliant, but god was it rammed.