Any suspicious gaps in the stage times? For Special guest's

Bonehead> Clapton

there is literally no chance of foo fighters even under a different name given the park fiasco for pulp and radiohead and they were on the traditional days never mind the thursday. they would be risking a health and safety nightmare.

I've read a few comments like this about those Radiohead and Pulp sets now and am wondering if they reflect reality.

I went to both of those sets and can say that the crowd in front of the stage wasn't any less safe than any crowd I've been in at Glastonbury (and much safer than a fair few).

I didn't get to either especially early, so I can only assume there was a problem with people trying to enter the field late.

I know Emily made comments about not doing surprise sets in the Park any more, but I think that might also have been related to making expectations more realistic (certainly would have been hard to beat those two every year, even if Radiohead did their best)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read a few comments like this about those Radiohead and Pulp sets now and am wondering if they reflect reality.

I went to both of those sets and can say that the crowd in front of the stage wasn't any less safe than any crowd I've been in at Glastonbury (and much safer than a fair few).

I didn't get to either especially early, so I can only assume there was a problem with people trying to enter the field late.

I know Emily made comments about not doing surprise sets in the Park any more, but I think that might also have been related to making expectations more realistic (certainly would have been hard to beat those two every year, even if Radiohead did their best)

Totally agree with this. I was right down at the front for the Radiohead secret set in 2011...yes the crowd was far larger than normal for the Park stage and I later heard that they decided to close the field during the set, but I did not see/experience any safety issues at all. I would actually say the crowd was far safer than some others I have experienced at the Pyramid and Other, even 'the 1975' in Williams Green last year. I would personally like to see secret sets return to the Park.

Yeah I was at both the sets and they didn't feel dangerous at all. They can close off the field so as long as they do that I wouldn't anticipate there being any real problems. Probably is more down to the fact there aren't many Pulp/Radiohead sized bands that want to do secret gigs on the Park.

The issue with the Park wasn't with the front of the stage, it was with the hill too the south of it. I was up there for Pulp and it was very busy. The ground was relatively dry and I still saw two people go over - it's quite steep up there. Add in a good bit of slippery mud and you can see the potential hazards.

And despite stewards' efforts to turn people away from the Park it was still very easy to get in. Without erecting fencing it would be a nightmare to try to fully prevent entry.

Oh and back on topic, it isn't just gaps in the line up that you have to watch for. Bands do play under other names and the Eavii could always throw us a curve ball by programming a band somewhere unexpected, like they did with Prince in the Big Top last year.

Does anybody remember the infamous 'missing Park headliner' of either last year or 2013? It was incredible, Prince turned up if I remember correctly.

2013, yep. I'd hate to be one of the poor souls who missed that!

Considering that the XX played two songs in 2013 those gaps are suspiciouss

Yeah, the secret acts on the BBC stage only get to play 2 or 3 songs. You're often treated to a 5 minute interview with them for the benefit of a later broadcast as well. :/