Tent security

Charles Carmichael

To be on the safe side you should bring two tents with you and construct one tent (the outer tent) over the other tent ( the inner tent). This way nobody will see your real tent (the inner tent) and you'll be OK.

Not really. You may want to read the sections on security and the lock ups in this section of Torts Guide to Glastonbury (in fact I'd read the whole guide if this really is your first time attending Glastonbury);

http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq/faq-part-3

Tent security: there is none. Glastonbury is as bad as any other large festival for people looking to steal money, drugs and booze. Lockups are an essential. The more effort you make to stop people getting in a zip the less likely you are to have a workable tent at the end of the festival. I'd rather someone came in and found nothing than slashed a side to find the same.

Don't leave owt valuable in it, if you're unlucky somebody might pinch one or two beers. 0% risk of your tent being burned or shat it... Unless you're really unpleasant to your neighbours.

I wouldn't say 0% - I returned to find two nearby tents burnt to the ground and my neighbours one slightly melted in 2000.

Maybe 0.00001%. :)

Use the lockups. I use them every year to store keys money cards etc. Have also been known to bring down a bag of clothes for when it gets colder + extra alcohol and leave it in the lockup to avoid having to go back to the tent in the evening - V. Handy

As others say use the lookups. I stash most my cad and snouts in a bag in the lookups, along with house keys and a spare set of car keys. Otherwise it's a good idea to get some little bells from a habidasher or from ebay attach a few to a piece of ribbon tied to your door zips as this makes it difficult to get into the tent without making loads of noise

I have never had issues myself.

But: A friend has, so has someone else I know of, so assume you will fall victim.

Certainly use the lockups. Put your money, keys and other valuables in there.

If you need a phone, take an old one.

Tidy tents are said to be more likely to be rifled. easier to go through, where as a messy tent, where would you search for valuables.

Is it cheeky to drop my backpack and stuff off at the lockups? Thinking about space in the tent and wondering if I might just grab a few changes of clothes and essentials to keep in the tent and then leave everything else at a nearby lockup to grab stuff out of as necessary. Am I going to end up annoying the people working there?

Is it cheeky to drop my backpack and stuff off at the lockups? Thinking about space in the tent and wondering if I might just grab a few changes of clothes and essentials to keep in the tent and then leave everything else at a nearby lockup to grab stuff out of as necessary. Am I going to end up annoying the people working there?

Not at all. People leave all sorts of wierd and wonderful things in them, it's what they're there for. And as for tent security, do as others have said, someone might not be a theif until an opportunity arises so have a messy tent and make it harder!

Not at all. People leave all sorts of wierd and wonderful things in them, it's what they're there for. And as for tent security, do as others have said, someone might not be a theif until an opportunity arises so have a messy tent and make it harder!

Thanks! Think we probably wouldn't have that much stuff to leave in the tent anyway, just a few scattered clothes and that. Will be sure to leave a lovely skidmarked pair of y-fronts right at the front of the tent to ward off ne'er-do-wells!

Thanks! Think we probably wouldn't have that much stuff to leave in the tent anyway, just a few scattered clothes and that. Will be sure to leave a lovely skidmarked pair of y-fronts right at the front of the tent to ward off ne'er-do-wells!

Haha, that last sentence very nearly ended with tea spat over the keyboard!

1 - Use the lock ups for valuables.

2 - Don't put a padlock on your tent.

One thing we do is tie 2 or 3 empty cans onto a bit of string and then onto the inside zips at night. Means if anyone tries to open the tent the cans will rattle together and hopefully wake you up/deter any would be thieves.

Is it cheeky to drop my backpack and stuff off at the lockups? ...... Am I going to end up annoying the people working there?

The lockups are run by charities, just make what you feel is an appropriate donation either each time or at the end and go for it.